Catholic Weddings

Engaged Encounter weekend and NFP?

Hi! I think that this is my first post on the catholic wedding board. Anyway, I know that it probably depends on the location, but figure the info is somewhat standardized. (We are going in September in the Hudson Valley area of New York if anyone is local)But anyhow, how much time is spent on NFP during the engaged encounter weekend? Is it the intro to the course, a 2 minute directive telling where you can sign up for  classes? Or something in between? The reason I ask is because from what it sounds like, people who go to the part 1, part 2 precana get more NFP discussion time.Any info would be greatly appreciated! (Would rather get as much as info as possible without having to go for separate classes! )Thanks in advance!

Re: Engaged Encounter weekend and NFP?

• edited December 2011
    In my experience and the experience of all my friends, the group classes like Engaged Encounter or Pre-Cana don't give enough information about NFP to practice NFP effectively.   We got about 15 minutes of discussion of the moral aspects of NFP during our Engaged Encounter weekend, and several friends who attended weekends in other dioceses got about 20-30 minutes of discussion about NFP in general (its benefits, how it's different from artificial BC, moral considerations).  That seems to be par for the course, from what I've heard.  You're probably not going to get enough info about NFP's rules or how to actually practice NFP.  It would probably be worth signing up for local NFP classes or buying the Couple to Couple League's self-teaching kit (www.ccli.org ). 
  • edited December 2011
    Our Engaged Encounter had an hour session on NFP.  It certainly wasn't a class, it was just enough to explain what it was and how it worked, and why you may consider it.  Then she told us how to sign up if we wanted to take classes.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info. So I guess it varies. I will look into that link for the self teaching kit. Thanks! I would love to learn the technique, but we may not have time before the wedding, and was hoping that the engaged encounter weekend would give us a more how-to introduction than the other precana options. Do you know if any people sign up for official NFP classes after they get married?
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    in addition to checking out couple to couple league, i recommend reading "taking charge of your fertility" to help you learn the method as well.  i self-taught myself NFP using this book.  i'm on my second chart now, and so far so good.  its written by a medical professional, and they have a website as well (www.ovusoft.com). our priest (who is extremely traditional) mentioned NFP to us and taking a class, but it was nto a requirement. 
    edited December 2011
    oh, and you can EASILY learn the method in 10 months. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion! I noticed that that book was referenced in a number of previus NFP posts, but honestly figured it came with the CCL kit. Thanks for letting me know I would have to get it separately.
    edited December 2011
    yeah, their book is different, but i'm sure teaches teh same stuff, although i cant speak from experience. while i'm pretty religious, for me, i have a paranoia abotu getting pregnant before i'm ready (if i'm ever ready!).  so, i liked TCOYF becuase it teaches through science/biology and doesnt preach alot about the religious aspects of the method (while i agree with them).  i liked how it was marketed towards all women, not just those who were doing it becuase of their faith.  what i did find interesting about CCLI, is that they promote breastfeeding as an integral part of NFP.  i had always thought that breastfeeding was NOT a means for avoiding pregnancy, that you can get pregnant while nursing.  so i'm not sure of the connection there.  maybe someone on here who is more familiar with CCLI can explain this theory??  i personally have zero desire to nurse, and dont plan to if/when my time comes.
  • edited December 2011
    There was absolutely no discussion on NFP at our class. There was a book included in the materials they gave us, but that was it.
  • edited December 2011
    Terri where are you doing your pre-cana?  Ours will be split between the Seminary and St. Raymond's in the bronx.  We don't go till Oct so I don't know what happens when.  Not sure if you received the same booklet with class options (and the website - which I can't think of off hand) there is a specific class outside of pre-cana for NFP.
  • edited December 2011
    We are going to do the EE weekend in Wappingers in September. When I talked to the woman who runs it she basically said that they glance at it, but that she also teahes NFP classes as well and that we could sign up for those even before PreCana. So I wanted an unbiased opinion of how much NFP discussion happens on the weekend. I will probably buy the book and decide if signing up for classes is something that we want to do.
  • edited December 2011
    At our EE weekend, we didn't even cover it. She gave us a website. :) So... I think you may have to take the class. :)
    greenbaby
    BFP 1/22/12 | Ectopic pregnancy found 2/14/12 | Methotrexate to complete m/c 2/15/12 imageimageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Calypso--As far as breastfeeding, what you are referring to is called Ecological Breastfeeding. It's different from normal breastfeeding in that the baby is fed purely straight from the breast, and that's it. No pumping, formula supplementation, etc. Wikipedia's article is pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactational_amenorrhea_methodNot all women who use CCL's version of NFP choose to do it, because obviously it is an entire lifestyle choice--not going to work for working moms, etc.My own mother did it with a lot of success. I'm not sure if I will, but I would like to.
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • edited December 2011
    Calypso --Extended, exclusive breastfeeding can have the effect of suppressing ovulation.  Breastfeeding isn't a 100% foolproof method for avoiding conception, though, which is why CCLI and other NFP organizations do recommend continuing to monitor fertility signs while breastfeeding.The history geek in me just has to say that one of the most fascinating pieces of info I learned in Medieval History was that the fertility rates for noblewomen during the Middle Ages (who almost invariably employed wet nurses) were significantly higher than for peasant women.  Breastfeeding was the only semi-effective method of birth spacing that women then had.CCLI promotes a method it calls "ecological breastfeeding," which is basically frequent breastfeeding on demand, and more strict than the basic lactational amenorrhea method.http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.htmlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactational_amenorrhea_method
  • edited December 2011
    That actually looks to me like what the mom on 18 kids and counting is doing with her youngest baby. Since she's practically with her all the time, I'd say it is. :) How fascinating!
    greenbaby
    BFP 1/22/12 | Ectopic pregnancy found 2/14/12 | Methotrexate to complete m/c 2/15/12 imageimageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the info. i guess i couldnt imagine being surgically attached to my kid around the clock.  how does a mom do anything if they cant even pump out the milk? 
  • edited December 2011
    In our diocese you go to a separate NFP introductory session that is about an hour and a half at a local Catholic hospital.  You can then choose on your own if you want to continue the sessions for a fee.
  • scoffindafferscoffindaffer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Minorly off topic, but what was your guys' experience at EE? I'm weary about it cause I've heard some really bad experiences at those....
  • edited December 2011
    The history geek in me just has to say that one of the most fascinating pieces of info I learned in Medieval History was that the fertility rates for noblewomen during the Middle Ages (who almost invariably employed wet nurses) were significantly higher than for peasant women. Breastfeeding was the only semi-effective method of birth spacing that women then had.Yup--totally true. (I'm a European History major). Nobles usually wanted a ton of kids though, which is part of the reason--heir and a spare (and good for marrying off) As a stay-at-home mom, my mother really didn't have a tough time practicing ecological breastfeeding, but you are right, it is definitely not for everyone!
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards