Illinois-Chicago

Most unique wedding venue?

So Fi and I are thinking of scrapping our DW and getting married a little closer to home.  The budget just won't allow us to have the DW we want, and we don't want to wait a thousand forevers so we can save up for it.Neither of us want a traditional wedding with a banquet hall and plated meal.  We want something REALLY unique.  We live near O'Hare but are willing to travel up to 2 hours.  Hit me with your best ideas.  TIA!

Re: Most unique wedding venue?

• Durmie126Durmie126 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we had our reception at prairie production- www.prairieproduction.net PIB! there are lots of unique places in the city. I know of architectural artifacts, a new leaf, chicago illuminating company, and west loop studio. I'm sure there are others- good luck!
  • EL13109EL13109 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our reception at Murphy Auditorium on Erie.  Very unique venue and it had a vintage vibe that FI and I were going for.  We received so many compliments from our guests :)Also, try the New Leaf - really beautiful and modern and you could do a cocktail reception like Cruella (her wedding was gorgeous)!!Also, there is a really unique place in the burbs - the Ivy in Wheaton - not sure if it rents out for weddings but the food is incredible and it's a converted church with gorgeous stained glass windows.  The beer garden would be perfect for cocktails.  We just went there with my parents - it was really cool.  HTH!!Erin
  • edited December 2011
    If we were getting married here, I would go with this place hands down! http://www.chicagoilluminatingcompany.com/
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Salvage One, which is a super awesome antique store near the West Loop. My mom said it looks like a Hollywood backlot because of all the random stuff they have there.
  • edited December 2011
    I second Prairie Productions. We are having our wedding there next year, and I am so excited. Some other places we liked were, A New Leaf, West Loop Studios, and West Grand Studios. There are also places like the Cultural Center, the Lincoln Park Zoo, the Brookfield Zoo, and the Harold Washington Library. Good luck!
    Married!!
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married at the Byron Colby Barn in Grayslake it is pretty unique!
  • edited December 2011
    The Catalyst Ranch is impossibly funky.  I love it.http://www.catalystranch.com/
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Mayslake Peaboday Estate in Oak Brook, it's a very unique place. The Estate Home is now owned by the DuPage Park District. They have a stunning chapel with a real mosaic on the front of it,  on the grounds quite close to the Estate. www.mayslakepeaboday.comThe room I chose to have my reception in used to be a church, full of huge stained glass windows, wood and marble. Knottie Sarajoy12345 recently married there, rented out the whole place out. You can bring in your own catering and alcohol, so you can decide how you want to serve food, be it buffet, plated, stations, or coctail reception.
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks EL13109 :)  I do have to give another shout out for a new leaf, the space was amazing and didn't need much extra decor.  We loved it - let me know if you have any questions.  There is a spot called Around the Coyote that is a large blank slate as well.
  • January BrideJanuary Bride member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I got married at the Lincoln Park Zoo, which pp mentioned.  Pics in bio.I also really like River East Art Gallery and all the other venues mentioned above.
  • MoFreeMoFree member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know what your wedding budget is but some of the unique venues in the city come with a hefty price tag, like $8,000+ just to rent the venue.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • chosen175chosen175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.  We're trying to stay away from your typical loft/banquet hall but so far I've found a few ideas to throw at FI.Our budget isn't huge, but I know we can definitely do "unique" without spending a fortune.  We're also having a small-ish wedding so we don't necessarily need to rent a ballroom or huge place.  We're only looking at 110 invited guests.
  • edited December 2011
    We were looking for the same thing and then found Starved Rock. it is rustic and unique and also very affordable!! the staff has been great and the food was surprisingly incredible!! It is about 1 hr and 45 minutes outside the city so it is kind of a pseudo destination wedding! They also have great deals for off hours and fridays and sundays!
  • edited December 2011
    We also live near O'Hare, have a tight budget, and a relatively small guest list (150), but wanted a very unique venue where we didn't have to worry about rentals or caterers. We found the Patrick Haley Mansion in Joliet and it is absolutely perfect! We are having it in the offseason (March) so it's about half as much as it would be during peak season, and we're having it on a Friday to keep the minimum guests below our list (Minimum on Friday in March is 100 guests; minimum on Saturday is 150). Because we were able to compromise on day of the week and time of the year, we are able to have the wedding of our dreams. I would strongly suggest looking there!!!   Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    danadahouse.com is GORGEOUS. so incredbily unique and private. in wheaton, il.   good luck with the date. their saturdays usually book up well of a year in advance!
  • chosen175chosen175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the suggestions!  I am in love with the Patrick Haley Mansion - now I just need to see if they'd be willing to work with us on our small group.  :-)
  • sjanticsjantic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We fell in love with the South Shore Cultural Center. It's on the lake with windows overlooking the water and has very unique/romantic rooms for the ceremony and reception. Plus it hosted one of the most affordable rental fees I could find in the city and was the location of Barack and Michelle Obama's Wedding. WE CANNOT WAIT for our big day If you budget allows I would also recommend Ravenswood Billboard Factory.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards