North Carolina-Outer Banks

Getting to know you (Part II)

I saw that scout798 had created one of these a few months ago, so I'm hoping to get connected with some of you OBX brides since I'm new.What is your name and FI's name?Where are you from?When is your wedding date?Colors?Themes?Why you chose the OBX?Hope to hear from you all soon and hopefully we can all gather ideas from one another and help each other out during this exciting time!Those of you that got married already at the OBX, I'm dying for advice...please advise :)

Re: Getting to know you (Part II)

• edited December 2011
    Hi Kim and Paige! Glad to meet you both!  Hopefully we can exchange ideas and things as we get deeper into our wedding planning.  I never knew all the details that you really have to think about when it comes to planning a wedding!  CRAZY! Kim, I totally was reading your response and we really do word things alike!  Long lost soulmate friends...haha. Well, I'm searching for some wedding stuff online right now.  Hopefully some more of the girls on this board start posting and we can help each other out.Talk to you girls later!!!!!!
  • MartiGMartiG member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello, Just saw this posting and thought I'd add my name/OBX wedding experience to the mix. I'm getting married at a beach house in Corolla on October 11, 2009. We live in N. VA but decided to get married on the Outer Banks because a) I've always wanted a beach wedding, b) I love that area, and c) we wanted to keep the wedding small and having it there helped us keep it that way (do not feel the need to invite coworkers or not-so-close acqaintances since it's not at home). My name is Marti and my FI's name is Mike. We are keeping it small (50 people) and casual. Colors are ivory and aqua with red as an accent color. We rented an Ocean-front beach house. The plan is to have all guests meet at the house, then weather-permitting, we'll walk over to the beach, get married, go back to the house and have a big party! Here's some of the vendors I'm using: Flowers: Renee Landry Style. (Nags Head Florist gave me horrible customer service - tried to just place an order with them for over 2 weeks and then gave up! Renee was very responsive and helpful!). Officiant: Jay Bowman. He married a friend of mine a few years ago and was fantastic! Caterer: Kelly's restaurant/catering. A friend of mine who lives in that area went to a party where this caterer served and said it was GREAT! Cake: Just Desserts. Melinda is wonderful to work with and I had one of her cakes for a party I went to a few years ago in that area and it was delicious and beautiful! Musician: Roy Murray. Actually, I'm using his business but he got me an acoustic guitarist to play at the ceremony and then for the one-hour cocktail hour afterwards. We got engaged at the end of Feb. and I knew I wanted to get married in Oct. so I had about 8 months to plan it. However, I do event planning as part of my job so knew some of the questions to ask. I suggest spending lots of time on the Knot to get ideas and do your research before giving anyone an order or deposit. Good luck everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    Great to meet you!!! Doesn't seem like a lot of people post on this board, but I do try to check-in each day to see if there is any advice I can share or gain from the few that are posting. GL with wedding plans and hope to hear from you soon.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Everyone!  I'm so glad someone posted a new one of these : ) My name is Keri and my FI is Chris.  We are from Phila and planning on having a beachfront wedding Sept 2010.  Colors and Themes are all over the place right now as I search for a venue, I keep saying that will help me determine, LOL!  We started vacationing down in OBX about 3 years ago and love it, the layed back friendly pace made it the obvious choice for our wedding :-DWe are hoping to rent a house an ocean front home for the reception - so any suggestions is greatly appreciated as I am setting appt's this week to see while we are on vacation there in a few weeks.  We did visit and sat with two caterers in May that were both very friendly and great food - Red Sky Cafe & The Lone Cedar Cafe.GL to everyone!!Keri
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Kerri! Great to meet you.  We too are planning a Sept 2010 wedding.  We chose the 4th. (My info is the first response to this board if you want more info) What is your date?  As for a venue, we have thrown so many ideas around.  I love the idea of a renting a house and having the ceremony out on the beach, and the reception to follow at the house, but I've met some dilemas that I'm not sure how to go about. One big thing is that I wanted to have a tented reception outside with dinner, dj, dancing...the whole sha-bang!  From all the realtors I've spoken with from Duck to Corolla, only like 2 houses allow tents.  So I was kinda bummed about that.  I just don't understand what people do with 50 or more guests (because that is what we are thinking we are going to have) if it rains or something along those lines.My next thing was...some houses have guest limits (due to the septic systems of the homes)...so that was another issue for us.So for now, I think we are looking at renting a house for the week just to stay in and having an ocean-front ceremony and then our reception to follow at The Currituck Club, Sanderling or the Elizabethan Gardens.Well, ladies hope to hear from more of you soon.  Happy Planning!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello All!Some of you have probably posted replies to my posts as well but thought I'd introduce myself!My name is Jessica and my Fi is Kevin. We got engaged in June when we were vacationing with his family in Rodanthe. He got on one knee in the water soundside at sunset to propose. I (of course) said YES and turned around to the whole family taking pictures by the shore. It's a moment I'll never forget!Needless to say, after four years of taking 2 vacations/year to the OBX, we've chosen it as our wedding location. We are hoping to have the ceremony soundfront at the Roanoke Island Aquarium and the reception inside the shark tank room. I can't wait and it seems that all my planning is coming together already! My color is mostly white/ivory with splashed of pink here and there (bmaids dresses, florals etc).Were keeping it super simple and beachy. I can't wait to see how it all comes together!!Good luck to all the brides!  :)
  • GandC09GandC09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi everyone! I was on here all the time when it first began, but I'm graduating and starting a new job so I have been gone for a while!  My name is Casey and I am from VA we have a house in Nags Head.  That is where we first started dating and where my fi proposed, so that is why we chose the outer banks.Our date is September 19 less that 2 months away!!!!  At the Hilton in Kitty Hawk.Our colors are hot pink and lime green... and I may add some orange too ;)Good Luck to everyone with their planning!  Let me know if you need any help!  That is how I made all of my decisions!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Girls! Haven't been on in a while...been away on vacations but i'm back and figured i'd join in and introduce myself since many of you have already helped me! My name is Samantha and my FI's name is Dean...we live in Baltimore, MD and are getting married on July 9, 2010...we are planning on doing the ceremony on the beach in Corolla and then the reception at the Currituck Club- if it rains it's all at the Currituck Club.  Colors are going back and forth but thinking like an aqua and light green with splashes of pink...i haven't actually gone and looked at colors yet so that might change!  The theme I am still not sure about either...I want beachy but not overly beachy so we'll see!  We chose the OBX b/c I didn't want to get married in MD and FI didn't want to get married where i'm from- nj, we have been going to obx together since we started dating and figured it would be the perfect place for us since we are paying for it- also it's close enough and affordable that most people can come and enjoy a vacation as we celebrate!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info Donna!  Can you tell me which houses did allow the tents?  That is an on-going concern for us as well.  We actually haven't picked our exact date yet because if we find a house we love we can be flexible.  TIA - Keri
  • edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure the 2 houses were Beachy Keen and Sunset Retreat...and I want to say they were both rented thru Twiddy. One of them you are only allowed to have like a 30x60 sized tent because the permanent stakes are in the ground for it.  And you have to get it thru Metro Rentals.  The tent alone was like $1000.00.  I haven't done much research on the costs of tents, but the 1000 for the tent, plus the rent of the house for the week, plus the special event fee just seemed a little phenominal to me.  I think the houses are a great idea, but like somone in an earlier post or a different post (can't remember) said there seemed to be a lot of "hidden" fees and it does kinda seem true. Anyway, we still haven't totally ruled out a private house wedding, but those of just some of the concerns I have.  If I can help you out in any other way, just let me know. TTYL
  • lkleffkelkleffke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies, I've been back and forth on this board b/c its been super-helpful w/ vendors & such for the wedding. My name is Leslie & my fiance's name is Obadiah. I was born & raised in Virginia Beach and my fiance is an Alabama boy who's an officer in the Army & stationed in New Orleans. We're getting married in a little less than 2 months (GandC09- september 19 also!!) in Corolla. We've been vacationing down in the N. Outer Banks since i was a year old when there was NOTHING down there. Our ceremony is at the Corolla Chapel, where I've wanted to get married since I was 7. The Reception is at the Currituck Club (I would have LOVED the whalehead club since its the building that inspired me to get into architecture and historic preservation, but budget was an issue, and knowing that w/ my luck, we'd have a Hurricane make landfall on our day if we had an outdoor wedding.) But Sarah Albrite, the coordinator there, has been awesome and very helpful. My colors are Navy & lime green, with coral in the flowers. I'm also using Renee Landry as my florist/designer and she's been super creative, but since I've been bogged down w/ grad school we're just now finalizing the total design. The theme is "vintage travel" - places my fiance and I have travelled as the table names, luggage tags as the placecards, etc. The cake is from Emily Patti at Patti Cakes, who has been one of my favorite vendors to work with - incredibly excited about everything! We still havent nailed down music for the reception or found someone to play guitar at the ceremony (recomendations VERY welcome!!) but we're chugging along. Everything outside of the stuff I can't do (flowers, DJ, cake, officiating) I'm doing myself -- it really is an almost complete DIY wedding. But Corolla is such an amazing and special place to my family that in the end, that's whats going to make the day perfect -- the people there. I Hope everything is going perfectly in the planning department for you ladies, whether you're getting married next year or next month. What a great place to be married!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi everyone! I know no one has posted on here lately but I am getting into full swing wedding planning so I thought I would reach out. My name is Ginger and my FI is Jon. Our wedding date is May 1, 2010. We have almost been engaged for a year now, he proposed on the Blue Ridge Parkway last October. We live in Raleigh, NC and when he proposed he said "We live in the Piedmont and we want to get married at the beach so I wanted to propose to you in the mountains." We have been together for almost 7 years now so we had talked about weddings before getting engaged and knew we wanted to do something relaxed and fun at the beach. The Outer Banks was a perfect fit for us. Ceremony is at the Elizabethen Gardens and the reception will be at 108 Budleigh. So we aren't technically ON the beach, but still in the OBX, which makes me happy. Colors are blue and white. I have choosen a cornflower blue to go with the white and I want to use other shades of blue to accent. We don't really have a theme at this point. I just want it to be fun and relaxed. I really don't want anything too formal. As we get closer and closer I am getting excited!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Ginger, Welcome!  There isn't a ton of posting on here, but the girls who do post have been super helpful and resourceful.  Hopefully we can get this board hopping like some of the other monthly boards and local boards.  We'll get there :)  
  • bekahblazebekahblaze member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi all! I've been on theknot.com for a while but just noticed this board so I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Rebekah, but I typically go by Bekah. I am marrying one of my high school sweethearts (rekindled romance) named Brian. We are both originally from Connecticut, but have since moved to Raleigh. Brian moved down here in 2001 and attended college, and I went to school up in Connecticut until this past summer. We got engaged in July and we are getting married in Corolla June 5, 2010. Our colors are lime and ivory with chocolate accents. It took a while for us to decide, but we are so happy with what we have chosen. Our wedding is going to be casual, on the beach in Corolla, and then we are having our reception at the Currituck Club. We chose the OBX because Brian's family has had a condo in Kill Devil Hills since he was a child, and we have enjoyed many vacations here. I'm very excited!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello again ladies!I wanted to post a BIG THANK YOU to all the help everyone's given over the past few months. All the recommendations along with my own research has paid off!My Fi - Kevin, and I have booked the Roanoke Island Aquarium for our Sunday May 2nd wedding. We are excited to have it at such a unique location! The ceremony will be waterfront, my maids in HOT pink and the groomsmen in khakis, and then we will move inside for the reception. During cocktail hour, guests will be able to tour the entire aquarium which I thought was awesome!We have secured the following vendors for our big day:ARGYLES - Catering, alcohol, FREE cakeTHE EMBELLISHERS - Floral and day of coordiationOBX MUSIC MASTERS - DJ and ceremony musicAMMC PHOTOGRAPHY - Engagement and wedding photography.Still deciding on chair rentals and the wedding party has booked two big houses in Nags Head through Sun Realty (who does Freestyle Vacations, we are doing Wednesday to Wednesday rentals).By having our wedding on a Sunday, we got a 20% discount on the aquarium, and by having it the first weekend in May, we avoided the price increases on the houses. A small sacrifice to the fact that it took us quite some time to find a realtor that did midweek rentals. Otherwise, we would have had to do a two week rental, and leave the house empty because everone having to return home!!!Good luck ladies!! The countdown is on!  :o)
  • aubreyaliseaubreyalise member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi All! I'm not sure if I'm super late to this, but I just came across this part of the site and figured this is where I should be :)I'm Aubrey and my FI is Dan and we're from Richmond. We're getting married May 8, 2010. Ceremony & Reception are both at the Currituck Club. Dan has been coming to the OBX his entire life and it was a special spot he wanted to share with me when we got engaged. So, the night he proposed we drove down to celebrate, and it was a disaster trip from start to finish! He couldn't remember the name of the nice restaurant he wanted to take me to, so after a few wrong restaurants and as the time ticked by, we ended up at Applebee's on beer pong night. There also happened to be a Nor'easter rolling through that made the weather miserable and when we got to a hotel for the night, we lost power pretty much immediately and it stayed out all night. And yet, it was a fantastic trip. I loved every second of it and so when Dan suggested the OBX for our wedding, I was in complete agreement.So, anyways, our colors are pink & orange with some blue, and everything will take place on the outside veranda at the Currituck Club, which I fell in love with immediately. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards