New York-New York City

Economical tailor in Manhattan???

Hello Knotties,I bought my dress at Macy's in Herald Square, but they want to send me to some tailor on 37h street that is charging WAY too much for simple alterations.  My dress is really simple- no beading, no pleats, just organza with some rouching.  They were talking $350-ish just to hem the skirt, do the bustle, and take in the top a tiny little bit!I don't know about all of you, but that sounds ridiculous to me, especially consdering that the dress is so simple and NOT a ball gown.Does anyone know of a RELIABLE tailor I could ask?  I am willing to pay for a job well done, but $350 seems grossly out of range for my simple dress!!Please let me know!!!-Emily

Re: Economical tailor in Manhattan???

• hyacinth83hyacinth83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting my alterations for $300 which sounded like a lot till I started getting quotes for $400. Kleinfelds and Priscilla's charge $600.I have the same as you: just small hem, bustle and take in top and sides.  I don't even have rouching which I heard was difficult since you have to match it up.  I'm using this woman named Ines who normally works at Kleinfelds so you know you're getting quality.  Plus she's putting in extra boning and offered to add crinoline/petticoats if I wanted.  She's based in brooklyn on 347 733.9140 if you want to talk to her.   There's another woman named Remzye in Manhattan who's also recommended by Kleinfelds but she starts at $375.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    The BEST dressmaker in the world is Eva Zuzenko 212-753-4922....she does beautiful work and fair prices....she does alterations, custom work, makes clothes from scratch and custom designs things....tell her Marissa S. sent you....she is making a jacket for me to wear over my wedding gown and also making a custom skirt suit for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards