Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Hotel cost online verses block

We have some wedding party that decided they were not going to stay at our reception hotel since they live in the TC. Then two decided this last week that they were going to stay. So instead of calling and seeing if they could still get in our block of rooms, they booked through hotels.com and got a rate that is $11 cheaper a night then what they quoted for our block of rooms. Should I expect the hotel to match the cost that the late bookers got?

Re: Hotel cost online verses block

• supersalwasupersalwa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd be surprised if they were willing to do that, since most people probably wouldn't check against the online price. But one of our guests booked online (and got a great deal), and we had them move her to our block, so that her reservation "counted" (20 room-nights and our suite is free).
  • starkitennstarkitenn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes! The same thing happened to me, and the cost difference was $15. I asked them to match the rate and they had no problems doing with it. Hotel rates have gone down a fair amount of the past year, and I'd be surprised they wouldn't match it, if they do, remind them how many rooms you booking that may not otherwise be booked.
  • LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they would match a regular price online, but ours wouldn't match a AAA or otherwise discounted rate.  FYI!
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    This happened to me too - an out of town family member was able to get an additional $10 off our room block price by booking online.
  • edited December 2011
    Our hotel told us that they don't match it.  They said anyone who books online is not protected against overbooking (and could potentially be moved to another hotel) while those who booked under the block are "protected".  I told everyone to go ahead and book online if they felt comfortable.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we ran into that at my sister's wedding.  The online rate from the hotel was cheaper than the block rate.  Their difference was that the block people could cancel their reservation up until the day before the wedding.  those that booked online were on the hook for it regardless. 
  • Kambria11Kambria11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I asked and they did lower it, which I am sure they didn't have to, but it was nice that they did. Not a huge savings but every little bit counts, and my guests will be happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards