Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Flavors

I have an appointment for August 9th with my baker for a cake tasting for the groom's cake, and I can't think of flavors. My cake is going to be chocolate, becauseI called it first, lol. FI doesn't like coconut, pumpkin or red velvet, which are three that popped in my head immediately, and I don't know that he wants just plain white cake. Suggestions?

Re: Flavors

• wildangel2189wildangel2189 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about yellow cake? We are doing yellow cake with rasberry filling for the wedding cake and then chocolate for the grooms cake.
  • JessAndTravJessAndTrav member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Perhaps. I should mention that I feel like being creative with his and getting something that everyone's going to be like, "WOW. Best cake ever." That probably won't happen, but whatev. PS: It's a December wedding, if that makes anyone more creative.
  • mindiosumindiosu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here are our choices- maybe they'll inspire you. italian cream cake filled w/rasberry topped w/ white choc buttercream'chocolate chip cake filled w/ white choc mousse topped w/choc buttercreamcoconut cake filled w/ choc ganache topped w/ vanilla buttercreamour baker let us get as creative as we wanted. GL!
  • onetieronetier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tiramisu'
  • edited December 2011
    Let me suggest lemon cake. It taste really good. Our baker offered other good flavors such as: -pink shampange -dark chocolate -mandarin -bananna nut -german chocolate -amaratto Hope that helps..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I have a lot of chocolate going on w/my flavors too but maybe the other tier flavors would interest you? Here are mine: bottom tier- white cake infused with almond flavor with almond cream cheese & strawberry fillings 2nd tier- devil's food cake with caramel buttercream filling 3rd tier- devil's food again with peanut butter filling (almost like in a reese's) top tier- marble cake with cookies & cream filling GL & HTH! :)
  • edited December 2011
    What about ice cream cake?  We are doing a cold stone cake for the Grooms's cake complete with a hockey game on top.  (FI plays and coaches)
  • edited December 2011
    Try going to www.crazycakebakery.weebly.com (if a appears remove it to get the link to work). There are a lot of flavor combinations listed to give you ideas.
    KRHagen November 2009
  • edited December 2011
    Lemon/ orange cakeCarrot Cake (went down really well at a wedding I attended last week)Black Forest Gateaux (my favourite)Watch Meet Joe Black - there's a bit where they test cakes for Anthony Hopkin's birthday party and I remember they were all really amazing I just can't remember what they were.... Food for thought, literally!
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding cake was chocolate too!  We chose the bottom layer to be chocolate with chocolate buttercream filling; the middle layer was chocolate with raspberry filling; and the top layer was again, chocolate with chocolate buttercream filling.
  • edited December 2011
    Plain white cake can be good, especially if guests are allergic to chocolate.  Try a fruity filling for it if you want to give it more kick.  Tell your baker to make a sampler of some of his/her favorites and most popular.  That way you might end up tasting something you would never have suggested yourself and may end up loving it.
  • shortkakeshortkake member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cake is yellow with custard and fresh strawberries. Since fruit very rarely touches my fiances lips. His cake is yellow with oreo mousse.When you get to the tasting you're gonna find things that are so good that you never thought you'd like.Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Bottom level of my cake is chocolate, middle layer is lemon and top flavor is orange. Didn't want to do just the plain vanilla and chocolate. Tasted the orange and lemon flavor before hand and they were great! Figured chocolate should be the biggest layer though, because everyone might not want the other flavors.
  • jordankristenjordankristen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our bottom tier is going to be dark chocolate cake with a raspberry puree and chocolate ganache filling. Our top tier will be almond cake with a buttercream/praline filling. They're the best cakes we've ever tasted. We tried the chocolate/raspberry cake for my FFIL's 50th bday party and everyone was raving about it.Check out www.buttercream.info for more ideas!
  • cravecasecravecase member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe your baker has some specialty cakes that he/she will have you try...Our cake choices are banana, spice and cherry nut.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI wants a coca-cola cake, and that IS the best cake ever. :-)
  • edited December 2011
    we are having hazelnut cake with cannoli cream filling - its AMAZING!! what about orange or lemon cake with some kind of citrus filling? or peanut butter?
  • edited December 2011
    or carrot cake?
  • edited December 2011
    What about a spice cake or a hummingbird cake? Both are so good! Our baker also had the option of mint chocolate chip. If he loves chocolate too you can always serve the grooms cake at the rehearsal dinner. That is what is done where I live.
  • edited December 2011
    Craziest cake layer we had was chocolate kahlua fudge cake with Bailey's mousse filling.  Lol... I let my husband pick and it was supposed to be the top tier (because it's a pretty intense/weird combo) but somehow our top and bottom tier flavor options got flipped.  As we're cutting the cake, I see that it's chocolate and I realize that the largest tier of our cake is going to be that crazy flavor combo. In the end, people RAVED about that layer and it was probably one of the best cakes I've ever had.  Very rich, but absolutely amazing. Don't be afraid to play around with more than just the basic white/yellow/chocolate options!
  • megankgmegankg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having chocolate cake too - each tier will be the same, a layer of choc fudge cake and a layer of pecan cake with plain buttercream.  She grinds the pecans up really fine and adds it to the white cake batter.  Sooo - good!!
  • JenniSimJenniSim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother's wedding cake was funfetti!!!  Everyone LOVED it and thought it was the best idea ever!
  • edited December 2011
    I keep telling FI that I want a lemon cake with raspberry filling!!  Or an Italian wedding cake might be good.    YUMMMM.......CAKE!!!!Oh, and hazelnut cake with canoli filling???  Sounds awesome!!!
  • edited December 2011
    JenniSim, our groom's cake is going to be funfetti! We are both SO pumped. It makes me feel like I'm at a 4-year-old's birthday party!
  • DezirayMDezirayM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen bakeries offer cherry chip, which is basically a white cake infused with cherry flavor and little bits of real cherries inside and also a white amaretto. You could also do something like a carrot or spice cake. Our tastings are this Saturday, so if we get to try one of those, I'll let you know how it is!
  • Malia GoodmanMalia Goodman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lemon poppy seed cake is AMAZING! Also, yellow cake with poppy seed and lemon filling is soooo good. Tiramisu is also a favorite of mine. All of these flavors are second to chocolate of course, but you already called that one :) Also carrot cake is amazing if you have a good baker :)
  • LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What does the baker offer? Ask your fiance what flavors he likes or someone who would know if you don't. Is there a different dessert entirely that he likes?
  • edited December 2011
    December makes me think of peppermint, so maybe a vanilla cake with peppermint filling.  YUM!
    Amanda & Joel
    Planning bio: updated 05.11.10
    326 were asked to dance image
    120 will boogie the night away image 110 have two left feet image 96 are couch potatoes image
    RSVP Date: Sept 10, 2010
  • najajkonajajko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not stackable, but Tres Leches is an incredible cake.  Typically found in hispanic bakeries.  It would be good for the grooms cake.  When i think of December, i think of Egg Nog.  So, maybe egg nog cream filling with whisky soaked pound cake? S'mores:  Fudge cake with marshmallow cream & crushed graham crackers. Banana split: Strawberry chocolate-chip cake with banana cream filling.the kaluah/baileys combo sounds delish.  I think im stealing that idea for my own cake!Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards