Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Renaissance Festival

So...I was trying to think of some bachelorette party ideas (my friend is throwing it, but wants some input).  I know this was posted last week, but I thought I'd revive it.  What would you think about a party at the Renaissance Festival?  My wedding is in October, and we'd probably go sometime in late September.  Most of the girls who would come would be in th 25 - 35 age range.  Fun and quirky or dumb and hokey?  Would it be cost-prohibitive?  I know tickets aren't exactly cheap ($20-30 I think).

Re: Renaissance Festival

• hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *Tickets are $20 and the weekend of Sept 19 & 20 is Wine, Chocolate, and Romance weekend.
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loathe the Renaissance Festival with a passion. I had to volunteer then one weekend when I was in highschool for a fundraiser. I was excited because I used to love going there as a child.When we got there, we were coralled to this changing area where we had to throw these smelly, thick, hot garments over our clothes (in the middle of summer!!). Then we were assigned our positions for the day, I got stuck at the pasta booth. All I can say is, never eat there. One of the girls was eating the grilled chicken straight from the container with her bare hands after handling money. The other was a total wench who treated me like some slave person. After that I had to go to the pizza stand, where they made me be the "cashier", which we (as volunteers) weren't supposed to be doing. Stupid people kept paying with 20s so that I would yell some crazy thing about the king, but I refused. It was a miserable day over all, and I could not support anything that treats its volunteers that way!Needless to say, I was signed on for two days, but I did not go back for the 2nd day.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you had such bad experiece! What kind of fundraiser was it that you volunteered there and worked in the food area?  That seems kind of odd to me.  I've always had a lot of fun when I've gone there (maybe 6 or 7 times over the years).  I'm a dork though...
    edited December 2011
    It was a cheerleading fundraiser. I was like 14 or 15 at the time. I thought it was strange too! Haha.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought cheerleaders had the market corner on car wash fundraisers.  And for two weeks?  Very odd indeed! 
  • Kambria11Kambria11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that it matters more what your guests want to do and how they feel about it. You can find 1/2 price deals on tickets if you look around. Usually there is one in the Entertainment Book every year. Usually it is good for mutiple tickets.
    edited December 2011
    LOL...our coach wouldn't let us do car washes. Something about it objectifying women...That and we could only get donations from car washes, whereas we were guaranteed $$ from the fair.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A car objectifies women, but playing a wench for two weeks doesn't? As for the guests...I think most of them would enjoy it.  I've gone with one of the other girls before and I think all but one have gone to it (or similiar ones) before, too. 
  • edited December 2011
    hey!  e-mail me, I have a RenFest connection ;)  callie dot chappell @ gmail.com
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • kelstar1927kelstar1927 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest getting discounted tickets in some way or form. If you like the Ren. Fes. then go for it. Once you paid to go in there is a lot to do for free. I've been going multiple times a year for as long as I can remember. My mom coordinates volunteers for some of the beer tasting shows out there (which are FREE!) so my family has been able to get in for free every year. Plus when I got old enough I got all the free beer I could drink. I love going to the Tortuga Twins, that's my favorite thing to do there. But I've seen every show at least twice but they're different each time depending on who they pick from the audience. I think the jousting is pretty lame, mostly you wait around to see nothing. The wishing well wenches are also good. (I think that's what they are called) I've heard the feast of fantasy is really fun but it does cost extra and you have to get tickets in advance. I would ask around to a few of your friends and see what they think.
  • flower_loverflower_lover member
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be a blast! But like PP said, run it by your party-goers to see if they're into it.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do have a lead on some discount tickets, which makes the cost factor pretty reasonable (especially compared to a full night of drinking!)I ran it by a few of the girls tonight, and it sounds like they'd all be up for it.  I definitely wanted something different than the whole clubbing scene, and this seems like something that I'll remember for a long time.  As one friend said..."Ale and crushed purple velvet?  I'm there!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards