Nevada-Las Vegas

WDYT: typical wedding gown or bridesmaid dress as gown?

Went wedding dress shopping today- how fun!!! I love 2 dresses. One is the typical (sort of heavy, but not too much) Maggie Sottero wedding gown with corset back which I love. The other was a bridesmaid dress that would be gorgeous and very sexy in ivory as a wedding gown. It would even have a smallish little train and a plunging V neck- it is very light. The bridesmaid dress would be easier on the budget and easier to travel with, I think. But do I want an all out wedding gown or a more simple, but sexy, very light dress? We're marrying in March- so I know it can be hot!! Not sure if I'd be too hot in the wedding gown...ugh! What is your opinions!! I need some guidance. What are you girls doing? We're getting married at Valley of the Falls in MB.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: WDYT: typical wedding gown or bridesmaid dress as gown?

• edited December 2011
    You should be perfectly fine in March in a wedding dress =) Average high temperature in March is 69, average low is 44. According to the farmer's almanac, the highest recorded temperature in March in Las Vegas was 77 degrees, and was in 1921. In fact, in 1975 it even snowed!Generally in the beginning of the month the temperatures are high 60's whereas near the end they are low 70's. I think you would be just fine in any dress. That particular location draws a slight breeze because of the architecture of the location, and is mostly shady, so that also keeps the heat down. I am getting married there in April and I am going to have a traditional wedding dress. I don't expect to be too warm, but if for some reason I am, i'll take the heat with a smile =D
  • mloeksmloeks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    do you have pics or links? i love to see what people are considering.for my own wedding, i went with a gown. i had originally planned a bridesmaid dress, but then when i got to looking, i just wanted the wedding gown. my gown is ivory with a champagne sash.the one thing about the corset type gowns is that you can gain or loss about 15 to 20 lbs and be good...so if that is in your plans (or just happens) it is an advantage.
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry I don't know how to tiny url...here is the Maggie dress- it's simple but a broach on the hip and a veil/flowers really dresses it up: http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=madison&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=12&style=A3312 Here is the bridesmaid dress...again a broach near the middle of the V neck looks good. http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/6258/ (FYI- I am normally not a broach type of person, but it looks good and dresses these dresses up)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I say go for the wedding dress. At first I thought I wanted a more "regular dress" without a train or anything elaborate because I wanted to be comfortable but then the more I thought about it, there will be other opportunities to wear a pretty regular dress, only one time that I can wear a bridal gown, you know? My dress isn't super ballgown-y or anything but i did end up getting a dress with a train and petticoat definitely feel more bridelike in it! Also my dress is actually very comfortable so go with whatever look you feel you will want to remember in 10, 20 years from now! Hope that helps :)
  • edited December 2011
    i ended up going with a maggie sottero dress.  the picture is in my profile.  i loooove it.  i thought i was going to go with more of a "destination" type, but when i put on the maggie dress, that was it.  i don't think you'd be too hot in march.  weather is in the 60s i think.
  • edited December 2011
    Go for the wedding dress it is beautiful! Normally the weather in March is in the 60's so its pretty nice out I wouldn't worry about it being too hot.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm gonna be wearing a full length A-Line wedding dress and we're getting married outside in September. As people said you're only a bride once in your life so you should make the most out of it! ;O)Just wear whatever you think feels right! ;O)
  • ClaireS80ClaireS80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go with the wedding dress. It's lovely. You might regret it if you don't. It's your big day so make the most of it. I'm also getting married at Valley of the Falls next June and my dress is bigger and heavier than that one. I was thinking that I may be hot, but it's the dress that I really wanted. The only thing I'm really worried about is getting it over there from the UK, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.I don't have a good picture of mine, but it's on this video:http://iosposa.style.it/cont/video/0810/0300/Mine's the silver/blue bubble hem one after the black and white lacey dress.
  • edited December 2011
    I wore a bridesmaid's dress. (Actually, mine was from Dessy too). I loved it and have not a bit of regrets. However, I wanted a short, light dress from the very beginning, so this was perfect for me.Choosing your dress is a very personal choice. Ultimately pick the dress you love, and everything else (whether its dealing with the temperature or dealing with pressure to go more traditional) will work itself out.GL!- Diane
  • edited December 2011
    I also say go for the Maggie dress. It's really pretty. I like how the corset comes down further. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree Maggie is the way to go!  Let us know what you decide!
  • Ray_RayRay_Ray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married in October and getting married in a ballgown style wedding dress (pib). My decision was based on the style of dress I loved rather than any kind of functionality! I think go for the one that you love... and if neither of these are screaming "buy me" then maybe try a few more on?
  • jlstewartjlstewart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you take pictures of yourself in the dress? That really was eye opening to me to look back at them later. I changed my mind about the style I liked best after seeing the photos. I actually ended up finding my dress though at the Filene's Running of the Brides sale last week in Chicago. I got such a good deal on the dress I ended up buying a separate dress from the David's Bridal outlet section (also for a great price) that I will change into for the reception. I was more concerned about being comfortable dancing at the reception in the wedding dress as its a little heavy than I was about the dress being too hot.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards