Missouri-Kansas City

Seeking Opinions on Venues

I am currently looking at four venues for a reception -- Loose Mansion, Feasts of Fancy, Hotel InterContinental and the Sawyer Room. I would love to hear any and all feedback on these venues. In addition, I would welcome any recommendations for similar venues that can accommodate approximately 150 to 170 for a seated dinner and are near downtown. Thanks!

Re: Seeking Opinions on Venues

• edited December 2011
    I can't speak from experience, but I would have LOVED to have been able to have my ceremony/reception at Hobbs.  It was out of my price range, but I've only heard great things....  I settled on Berg Event Space, it had a similar rustic/loft feel (and much smaller outdoor space), but you can bring in your own catering...but, they don't recommend doing seated there. GL!
  • BrettErinBrettErin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We checked out Feasts of Fancy and the Sawyer Room. We chose to book with the Sawyer Room. The main deciding factor was the owners. They are involved in every aspect and truly seem to care that everything is planned out and goes smoothly for you. Also, there's an intimate and rustic feel at Feasts of Fancy which we thought was cool, but the ceilings are low and we thought it might feel claustrophobic. You will not have that problem in the Sawyer Room at all. Good luck to you
  • moose948moose948 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had ours at the Hilton President downtown and couldn't have been happier.  They were wonderful to work with and everything turned out perfectly!  I would highly recommend it!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    Loose Mansion is very nice! With your guest size, I would not recommend it though! I would suggest no more than 100 people there. I went to a wedding there just 2 weeks ago and it was 150+. They had to put tables in the basement so people could eat. There was just not enough room to have it all together. We sat out on the patio and ate out there with a few friends. We never knew what was going on in the main room and missed a lot! Also, in that kinda setting, nobody dances because the dance floor is cut off from everyone. It was beautiful and we did have fun, just not what I would have wanted. Hope this helps!
  • BrettErinBrettErin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We thought the President's minimum food and beverage requirement was insane. I'm forgetting what the number was now...and I don't want to say the number I'm thinking in case I'm way off. I just know that for our wedding it came out to a number so much higher than what we'd get if we found our own caterers that we couldn't justify it. Now, maybe they are able to be negotiated down. We didn't go that far with them.
  • moose948moose948 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The F+B minimum is high there, I agree... however, if you don't meet it you just have to pay a room rental fee.  We met it (we had a much larger wedding than you are planning) so I'm not sure what that fee is.When I was looking, the Intercontinental was more expensive than the President, but I guess things may have changed in the past year!Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    We fell in love with Loose Mansion and booked it right away. For larger size weddings, you can also use Loose Mansion's Grand Ballroom, which would be perfect for your size. There are a variety of options for setup so your guest will be comfortable and enjoy the evening. Good luck!
  • LindyLLindyL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a thought, but if you wanted a little funkier reception space the Aladdin HI downtown could be good. They've recently done a remodel on the interior and it looks amazing. Prices are pretty good too from what I remember. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I would recommend you NOT go with the InterContinental. My cousin was married there and some family hosted our post-wedding Sunday brunch there. They were horribly difficult to work with and quite disorganized. (there was a wedding the night we got married and they never cleaned the room before our brunch, so there were glasses out, the floor hadn't been vacuumed, etc).
  • demolinademolina member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Loose Mansion in December. It is a gorgeous facility and they are AWESOME to work with! I do think with that large a group you would want to rent out the ballroom on the third floor also. We are having 120 guests, so are only renting the main floor and basement. They have tv's set up throughout the mansion so that everyone can watch what is going on in the main area.
  • edited December 2011
    I vote for the Sawyer Room.  The owners are amazing, the space is beautiful, and we love the location!  They're also much more reasonable than the President Hotel. 
  • edited December 2011
    I too loved FoF/Hobbs. However, we ended up going with The Terrace on Grand for a few reasons. 1. At the Hobbs you have to use FoF for the catering and they are EXPENSIVE (although the food is beautiful). At ToG you can use your own caterer. 2. Location. Hobbs is in a cool area, but it's a little shady at night. We wanted our guests to be able to walk to their hotel and they would not have been able to do that from Hobbs. 3. Interiors. I love the wood floors & columns at Hobbs, but that air duct in the corner, serously? I can't imaginge it in my photos. I'm all for indurtrial & exposed equiptment, but that was just poorly executed. (Sorry for the rant, I'm an architect and it offends my design sense.) 4. To use the outdoor spce John was going to require that we rent a tent (min. $1,000). So the costs really start to add up there.Good luck with your search!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards