Rhode Island

Newport trolley question

Hi all,I'm getting married in Newport this October, and all of our guests (125-140) are coming in from out of town. We want to provide trolley transportation to the wedding from their hotels. We figure maybe about 90 people will use the transportation, which means we need to get 3 trolleys. That seems kind of excessive though (and expensive - I've gotten quotes from Viking Tours and Rock Star Limo, and wow, not cheap). Do you think I'm overestimating the number of people who will use transportation? How have other people handled the issue? Sadly, neither company has any large buses available, so it's trolleys or nothing.Thanks for any suggestions!Cheers,Melinda

Re: Newport trolley question

• edited December 2011
    Have you tried other bus companies or are you set on trolleys? That seems like three trolleys could be a lot of money. I think if you provide them, most guests would use them. (Personally if I thought I could navigate the area, I'd drive myself because I like having my car just in case, but I'm probably in the minority.) If you don't mind school bus-type transpo, I had saved a post where people recommended ABR Transportation in Middletown (848-9279; didn't say the cost) and First Student in Providence for $75/hour (www firstcharterbus dot com)
  • RITobiRITobi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what is the distance? perhaps one trolley can do multiple runs.
  • wennercwennerc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for those suggestions, KB. (I do love the idea of trolleys - they're so cute - but yes, they are expensive!) I'll look into those other options. (Also - how do you get a picture to show up in your post? I have uploaded a pic to my bio but I never see it on my posts!)As for multiple runs, it's about a half hour to 40mins per run as the trolleys are going from Middletown, through Newport harbor, and then out to Ocean Drive, and on a busy tourist weekend...so multiple runs could be tough. But that's a good idea.Thanks!Cheers,Melinda
  • edited December 2011
    The trolleys are adorable, but sometimes it's about getting folks from point A to point B! lol Maybe they'll work for you. I heard the ABR one is white, so not so "going to school" looking. :)As for getting a pic in your siggy, here's directions from my month board that I found helpful:How do I put a picture in my signature (siggy)? Upload your picture to a web-hosting site. Photobucket works the best. Choose the code option with the html code and post it into your signature (found through "my knot" and edit profile) Viola! Your picture is now in your siggy!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, did you mean a siggy pic so it shows up every time you post like our e-rings or a PIP (pic in post) like if you want to post a one-time pic. If it's that one, then here's the directions: How do I post a picture in my post (PIP)? Upload your picture to a web-hosting site. Photobucket works the best. Choose the direct link to the picture, you will know you have the direct link because it will end in .jpg (or other picture file). Paste this code in the post you are making: [img]YOUR TINY URL HERE[*/img] Take out the *
  • melinda478melinda478 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did 2 runs from Middletown thru downtown and over to Goat Island. Alot of my OOT guests stayed at different hotels then the ones we blocked so we didn't have that many people use it, they just drove. There are companies that have school buses to rent, have you looked into those? Just a side note...love your name!!!!
  • wennercwennerc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!!! Finally I have a pic in my signature. :) Awesome!I'll definitely look into these other ideas. And thanks, Melinda, it's good to know that two runs can work! You look beautiful in your pic!CheersMelinda
  • RITobiRITobi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think you'll be fine with mult runs. the trolley driver would know back roads and coming from middletown likely use bellevue, not thames to head to OD. I lived there for years and unless they have to go america's cup, they would avoid it.
  • edited December 2011
    For those of you using trolleys for guest transportation, are you also providing transportation back to the hotels at the end of the reception?
  • wennercwennerc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yup, sure am. That's what makes it so expensive -- the trolleys are booked by the hour and you have to pay for all the hours in between. Ouch.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards