Chit Chat

Meeting the parents... 48 hours before the wedding?

OK-we've both already met eachother's parents, but Fi's mom & stepdad haven't met anyone... so....Every single person from my side is flying in. The only 2 family members flying in from Fi's side are his mom (K) & his stepdad (J). Well... K says a couple weeks ago: "I want to meet her parents. I want it to be over drinks or dinner Friday night before the wedding."  I thought: "Uhm... that's the day well over 1/2 my family comes in & it's at all differnt hours of the day & night. I'd like to be at my house to greet those who rent cars & drive themselves to the house & b/c about 5 or so of them are getting picked up at the airports by my Fi & I! Also, I haven't seen some in years."  Not to mention... Saturday night we're having a bbq at our house with just family-no friends. That's a perfect time, I think. Basically, I think that it's very presumptuous of K to make this 'arrangement' without making a single consideration as for what we want. It would have been nice. Besides the fact that my mom isn't interested at all. Wouldn't it occur at one point to K that "Oh-almost ALL her family's coming in that day-she'll want to see them. She'll be busy doing last minute details for the bbq, rehearsal & wedding that day. Maybe it should wait & just do it at the bbq." Is it me or .. what the heck?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Meeting the parents... 48 hours before the wedding?

• It sounds like she's proposing a meeting, not making any arrangements without your consent.  If it doesn't work, you say it doesn't, how about the BBQ.  I think you're overreacting.  Even if this WAS set in stone, why should your FMIL and FSFIL be accorded less importance than your distant relatives?  They will be your family.  Don't need to do anything fancy, have them come over to your house, host them for a few drinks, let that be the end of it.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Well it sounds like she is running a suggestion by you. Why can;t you have both sets of parents in that night at your place along with a bottle or two of wine and some cheese and all. The bbq is a very public and alkward place to introduce them as both sets of parents have a slight hosting role to the two sets of family.  
  • Why not suggest your parents have them over for some wine while your other guests are getting in?  Then they can meet everyone, and you don't have to make any kind of special arrangement since you'll already be there greeting your OOT guests?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards