New York-Hudson Valley

Registry 101

So after much nagging from the mothers. . FI & I decided we are going to register this weekend.  Any pointers on where to go or what to make sure to get?thanks!- Meri

Re: Registry 101

• ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i registered at macy's and bed, bath and beyond. I think one thing to consider is the availability of your guests to purchase gifts...example, we do not have a crate and barrel near me so local people would have to go online and people like my mom don't use the internet. As far as what to register for, i figured out what we needed as well as added stuff that you would never buy yourself (like crystal...my mom has some that will one day be mine, but i dont like her pattern :)).  When you register, they will give you a check list too so that you won't forget anything...at least macys and bbb did.  i found both experiences great although i did find the bridal consultant at bbb a little pushy but it didn't deter me from registering there.Remember, this is the one time in your life you can ask for ANYTHING :)  have fun with it.i have some lists i got off the internet...if you want you can email me or msg me on facebook.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I registered at BBB and at Crate and Barrel (not sure if I'm going to keep the C&B one though).  I used the list  they gave us to catch anything I may have forgotten.  Basically I walked around the store and scanned stuff I know we'd need as well as things on my wish list (like my kitchen aid mixer lol).  We also did the china/crystal stuff as well.  That was the easiest part b/c the guy in that dept just added the entire set to the registry & I removed anything I didn't want.   Have fun!
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We registered at BB&B, Macys, and Sears (just bought a house a few months ago).We went and did the BB&B registry in person - I couldn't believe how exhausting it was. We were in the store for a few hours, but then I went home and added stuff online. I did the Macys and Sears ones entirely online. I used one of the checklists online (from BB&B) and made my own list from that, but we just kind of scanned as we went, and I went home and added stuff we forgot later.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    We registered at Target and BBB. Definately use the BBB checklist, it's super helpful. Have fun!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I used BBB and Macy's.  I liked the idea of the Macy's rewards program initially (you get a gift card after the wedding for 5% of the purchases made for you from your registry and 10% of all of your purchases made on your Macy's card) but found BBB a lot easier to deal with when it came to returns.  BBB gave me cash back for anything from the registry where Macy's only gave store credit if I didn't have a gift receipt.  A couple of items from BBB arrived broken but I brought them to the store and they gave me new ones with no problems.  And when it comes to registering, make sure you have a range of price points.  Even if something seems ridiculously expensive (i.e. $500 pots and pans), a lot of times a group of people will get them for you.  And are you really ever going to want to spend $500 yourself on pots and pans :)  Have fun!
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we used macys - great for dinnerware and some higher end things like crystal, also got a nice bedroom setbb&b - towels, miscelaneous kitchen gadgetscrate & barrel - really cute glassware, very affordable.  a few of the glasses did break in transit, i didn't think they packed things very well.btw macys packs things with those little white styrafoam peanuts which i found sooo annoying!
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i forgot to add that i did do both registries in person and have been adding/deleting online (i find bbb much easier to delete stuff by the way).  The other neat thing i thought about macys was that they will give you a breakdown in each price range of about what you should register for based on your guest list.  I was light on the high end but Rachel is right....don't worry about high end gifts, people will do group gifts....and if they don't you can purchase it cheaper later if you decide you still want it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    thanks meri for asking this questions, MY FI and I plan on registering in a few weeks as we are in the process of buying a house and the registering process feels so overwhelming!!
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • edited December 2011
    We did Macy's and Williams Sonoma but the majority of it was from Macy's because they have way better deals and a bigger selection. Like a pp said, they give you 5% rewards off purchases made from your registry and 10% if you use your Macy's card. From the 5% alone, we are getting a $120 rewards card which we will use to buy the remaining things off of our registry. It worked out perfect for us because their home sale is on until August 15th and we also get 20% off to complete our registry. Williams Sonoma is only giving us 10% and they didn't have any sort of rewards program or incentive. Have fun!
  • mericherrymericherry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies! i appreciate your input so much! : )
  • mockninemocknine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered at Macy's and BBB.  It was definitely time consuming, but fun at the same time.  I went to the store, but then finished up online.I went to Macy's first, and when I got to BBB, I put everything that I registered for at Macy's on that one too.  I figure, it maximizes the exposure, and provides people the choice of where they would like to shop- maybe they have a Macy's card they want to use, or maybe they have a 20% off coupon from BBB..?  One of my BM's is monitoring the two registries and updating them if something is purchased off of the other, to eliminate duplicates (when possible!).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Jenniferk08Jenniferk08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    pick a broad range of price ranges. wear comfy shoes do not expect to do it all in one day take advantage of incentives (we received really nice stainless steel all clad measuring cups just for registering for all clad pots, i check them out and they were about 40 alone..) try to go early in the day or on an off time, bbb in elmsford offers an option of going about an hour before they open on weekends, take advantage of that if you can. kathy was a major help there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards