Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

A-Z Topic of the Day: Veil!

Good morning! Our topic for today (V) is... Tell us all about your veil! Show us your inspiration and/or your actual veil if you have it.  What style/length did you choose and why?  What color is your veil?  What detailing does it have?  PIPs of course get extra credit.PIP Instructions: http://talk.theknot.com/boards/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=61206852
Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!

Re: A-Z Topic of the Day: Veil!

• rkroerrkroer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can post on this topic because I just got mine last night!  It's the very small veil (most commonly known as the bird cage veils) but I am wearing it in a different way.  It has the fabric flower on the comb (with some fabulously sparkly beads in the center) which will placed next to my bun, quite low.  The netting will then be pinned around the bun --- I wanted to wear it this way because I hate having things in my face and if that much money was spent on it I don't want to be tempted to take it off right away! No pictures yet, I have some on my camera at home though...oh well, most everyone will know what I'm talking about!
  • doxx0048doxx0048 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do have my veil at home but no photos wearing it - I should update my bio with a photo of it tonight.It is chapel length, ivory, and simple with no details, etc.  My grandma actually made it for me for about $5!  We then attached it to a crystal comb (the veil portion can be removed from the comb for the reception).  I absolutely adore it and love being able to wear something made by my grandma. 
  • edited December 2011
    ♪Isn't it ironic...don't you think?♪♪My veil was just destroyed yesterday... Here is the first one:Here is my new one. Hopefully I'll get it before my hair trial on Wednesday. ::crosses fingers:: .I ordered both veils from etsy. I was really on the fence about veils for a while. I wanted a mantilla for the longest time. Then I couldn't find one that fit into our budget, so I opted for the birdcage. First with blusher style, and the other the band style.

Zuma Zoom
  • kersteaskersteas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm wearing a cathedral length veil. Ivory, no details, but there is fullness at the top. I got it from a store on ebay for $14.99 and I love it!
  • edited December 2011
    I am going to purchase my veil this weekend.  It will be custom made and ordered through Brides of France.  Cathedral length, oyster colored (to match my dress), cut edge.My veil inspiration is from the movie Bride Wars.  When I saw Kate Hudson's veil in the movie I fell in love.  Hopefully I can get mine to look similar with my hair.[img]<a href="http://blog.mlive.com/movies_impact/2009/01/large_bridewars1.jpg" rel='nofollow'>http://blog.mlive.com/movies_impact/2009/01/large_bridewars1.jpg</a>[/img]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • periippaperiippa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No pics of mine, cause we haven't made it yet! We'll be making my veil using extra champagne tulle from mrs.katematch. My veil will just have a cut border, and it will extend just past the train of my dress, which is semi-cathedral. I never would have pegged myself as a super-long-veil kinda girl, but I LOVE how it's looked in other weddings. Definitely will only be wearing it for the ceremony though. Here are some inspiration pictures on a creepy mannequin.    
  • mrs.katematchmrs.katematch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MY FAVORITE!!!!!  This was the piece de resistance of my wedding, other than my kickarse church..... My mother made my veil, so it will be a lifelong treasure.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having mine made by a family friend.  It's elbow length, ivory, with lightly scattered crystals and pearls.  It will be cut edge.  I'm only going to wear it for the ceremony, it can be removed from the comb for the reception.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I love my veil too. I don't have a photo yet, but I ordered the Sara cage veil in ivory from Che Bella. It's not a birdcage, but a veil with a little poof at the top and then an interesting shape (can't really describe it). I think it's technically fingertip or elbow length. Not sure. It goes great with my fit to flare gown. Che Bella dies veils to match exactly and can make whatever length you want. I love working with them and my veil was very affordable.
  • edited December 2011
    My veil was super simple- My MIL made it for me. It was elbow length, one layer, with tiny little rhinstones sewed into it... lovely!
    imageimage
  • jaramlerjaramler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom is attempting to make mine.  It will be long, around the same length or a bit past the train.  I don't know the technical name of the length, but the train probably extends out 1.5 feet, or a bit more.  So it is not a very long train, but there is one there.  We went to Joann's one day and the bridal tulle was on sale, so we got 3 yards (way too long, of course!) for about $3.50.  Now I just have to find a comb.  I don't want the edge finished, so it will be just a very simple, long ivory veil with the invisible edge.  If for some reason it looks terrible, I'll go buy one and I'm only out a few dollars!  But if I bought a finished one, it would be one exactly as I described it above.
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Still deciding if I'll have one, but if I do, I think it would look a little something like this:[img]<a href="http://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Objects/0021/0044932/large_image.jpg" rel='nofollow'>http://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Objects/0021/0044932/large_image.jpg</a>[/img]
  • atrader29atrader29 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I was in Missouri visiting someone and just happened to come across a little bridal shop. I wanted a veil that had no gathering and only one layer so that it would be very sheer. And I found one that was perfect! There is no detailing on it. I have a lot of beadwork on the bodice of the dress, so I wanted to keep the veil simple. This is me at Louise's for my first fitting.
  • edited December 2011
    Not wearing one! I'm not concerned that the evil spirits will attack! (which of course is the reason for wearing a veil)    :D
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • supersalwasupersalwa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My veil is white, 2 tiered, fingertip length*, and satin-corded. [img]http://tinyurl.com/ngnjzz[/img]I knew I wanted something simple, and I really like the 2-tiered look. Elbow was just a wee short, cathedral hid my gorgeous train, so fingertip* seemed just right. I got it from weddingfactorydirect.com for $32 plus shipping, which was about all I was willing to spend on a few pieces of fabric with minimal adornment that I was only going to wear for the ceremony.*If you're ordering online, do yourself a favor and actually pay attention to the measurements, instead of trusting that 'fingertip' length means it goes down to YOUR fingertips, you whose height is different from hers, which is different from mine. Turns out there's a length between fingertip & cathedral, called waltz. Did the lady at the bridal shop know this? No. So when I tried it on, and the bottom hit my fingertips, and I asked, 'is this a fingertip veil?' and she said yes, did I trust her? Yes. My fault. Still ok. See bio for pics.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards