Registry and Gift Forum

Should I still register?

My fiance and I are planning to move to New Zealand, from the US, in three to four years. We have been living together for a few years already and are not looking to have gifts since we would end up selling them when we move.What would be the best way to tell people to not bring gifts for the bridal shower or the wedding?

Re: Should I still register?

• Don't have a bridal shower and don't register. Almost everyone gives gifts (not money) for bridal showers since a big part of the party is the bride opening the gifts and showing them to the guests. Money is a popular wedding gift, but that does depend on where you live and your social circle. You can't tell people not to get you a gift or to give you money directly. Not registering is a good hint that you would prefer money. You can also mention this to your parents and bridal party (since they probably already know this). Some guests will ask them what you and your Fiance want and they can say that you're planning on moving in a few years and don't want gifts. Hint, hint. You will still end up with physical presents. Accept them graciously, Not much else you can do without being rude.
  • First thing, if you don't want physical gifts, you should decline the shower.  People do not give money or GCs at a bridal shower, they give registry gifts.  If you want to have a party, do a bridal luncheon instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards