Wedding Etiquette Forum

Why do we buy into it? (longish vent)

So I had a horrible makeup trial last weekend. He basically shellacked my face with foundation. One of the other makeup artists at the place actually recoiled when she saw me. Terrible. Anyway, I was recounting the story to all of my girlfriends, and I said that it pretty much sealed my decision to just wear my normal makeup for the day. They were all appalled. And each and every one of them said the same thing to me: "but you need more for the pictures." So it occurred to me that we don't try to tell the grooms they need to wear makeup to look good. Besides, there have been hundreds of pictures taken of me over the years in which I'm wearing my normal makeup. And darn it, I think I look pretty swell in them. Why are these pics different? So that's it. I'm boycotting excessive wedding makeup. Who's with me??

Re: Why do we buy into it? (longish vent)

• tlv204tlv204 member
    First Comment
    I bought new lipstick for my wedding. That's it. I think I looked pretty darn swell too in my pics. Boycott away!
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  •  I do agree with you that it's fine to do your own/normal makeup for the wedding, but I will say that the reason these pictures are different is that for the most part, when you have pictures of yourself normally, you aren't using a professional grade camera/lighting, which shows a lot more detail than typical point and shoot cameras.
  • In theory, I'm with you. That's an awesome attitude to have and I think you rock for not buying into that whole "you must" mentality about anything related to the wedding. In reality, I need something great to cover up the ugly and my normal makeup doesn't cut it. Sorry, no boycotting in my part of the hood :(
  • I'll boycott excessive makeup, but I get to define what excessive means!  For me, it means no heavy foundations, but eyelashes that go down to my knees :D
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • /raises hand. I'm with you. I never wear makeup, evar. If I do it will be a bit of eyeliner and mascara. You need to look like yourself!!Different thing bu same note, I was trying to grow my hair out for my wedding next summer when i realized, why? Nicole does NOT have long hair. So I cut it. People will flip when they see it, but who cares?Youre obviously WAY beautiful enough to your FI without tons of makeup!!!!!
  • Your makeup was scary (sorry!) so I can understand wanting to boycott. Unfortunately, I just can't join you.  Whenever I try to do my makeup and make it look great, I eff it up and end up with eyeliner everywhere.  I just can't handle that on my wedding day.  Plus, all that stuff Arbs said about lighting and such.
  • * Please excuse the excessive use of exclamation points, I just got out of a Physics exam and I'm off a bit.
  • Ah Vogt! so silly of you. I'm boycotting makeup because there isn't enough makeup to cover this ugly..lol Might as well rock it minimal like I usually do
  • I'm hoping to do something close to normal.  I have to find a make-up artist who will do that though.  I can't do my own or my friend will try to help and she will paint me up like a southern beauty queen.  She did it for a formal once and proclaimed me to be the most beautiful she'd ever seen.  I looked like a clown. 
  • I bought some new eyeshadow for mine, but that was it. I'm not a fan of the "made-up" look anyway, so it made zero sense to pay someone else to put makeup on me. I ended up with a look no different than the few times a year I actually wear makeup, so I still looked like me, if that makes sense.
  • I only had to buy new stuff for my darker tan that came a couple weeks before the wedding... and She-laq because I didn't want my eye makeup to smear if I cried. I cried. It was worth it.
  • I do my own make up normally, and feel like I look decent enough, but I'm very hit or miss. Some days it's great, some days I've got hamfists.Plus, even though a lot of people want to look as natural as possible on their wedding day, I don't feel like my every day make up is right for the occasion, for me. Since I'm only really skilled at doing my daily make up (and only semi-skilled, at that), I'm going to have someone else do a bit more dramatic of a look for me for the wedding. Whether it's a professional, a friend, or I do a trial way in advance and learn to do it myself, I'm definitely buying in to the wedding make up business.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • arbolita - well that's just what I mean. If the camera is going to make me look flawed, then it's certainly going to do the same to FI. But I've never looked at a wedding pic and thought the groom looked particularly ugly, so I'm tempted to think that's a myth pink - I agree, I am getting false lashes!!
  • I wish I could boycott it. I do my makeup on a regular basis and think it looks good, but I'd hate to see how it would come out if I was under pressure to do a good job. I'd be scared to look like Cruella DeVil!I noticed that my MUA didn't really put more of anything on than I usually do, but she's using professional-grade cosmetics, while I use whatever's on sale at Walmart. I think that makes all the difference.
  • I don't ever wear makeup.  When I try to apply it I look like a hooker or a clown.  Of course, when I don't wear makeup, I also hate looking at pictures of myself (it's one thing if it's a trip to an amusement park and I'm petting dolphins, but would not be acceptable for a formal event.)  I also had a horrible makeup trial.  My SIL did my makeup for the wedding, however, she wanted me to try out some looks to see what I liked, and to buy a particular foundation.  I was so upset when I left that I wrote a complaint to Macys - I did get about $50 in coupons out of it, so I went back and bought the foundation and the eyelashes, but that's the only reason I stepped foot in that store again. 
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If you like the way you do your own makeup, go for it!  I had mine done for my wedding, but I had a really good makeup artist who did an amazing job.  I've had makeup done before where it looked awful!  And I agree on what you said about guys.  They don't have to do hair, makeup, or anything!  It's not fair.
  • I don't want excessive wedding make-up, just someone to do it for me. Like Temerity, some days my make-up looks awesome, and some days I'm too heavy-handed with stuff or my dark circles don't cover like I prefer.Of course grooms don't need to wear make-up, but FI knows he needs to shave and get a hair cut, trim his mustache, and wash his face to keep the pimples down. It's the same thing, IMO. Men have their beauty rituals, I have mine.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • I kind of want to revise and say that I'm not going for over dramatic, I-don't-look-like-me-anymore kind of make up just because it's a wedding, but I do normally look like straight up butt in pictures, and the "every day" make up I'm used to doing is more of a stopgap against looking like living death (dark circles, thin eyelashes, ghostly pale) than it is an attempt at beauty.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • julez: no need to apologize, it was heinous. I said it, so everyone else can too :)
  • South Asian brides have a tendency to go overboard with make up. Think white face and red lips. Horrendous. I've witnessed this so many tmes and always wonder how anyone let them walk out of the house that way. First thing DH told me when we started planning the wedding, is he wanted me to look like me... not a clown. I put my foot down in terms of make up. My mom's makeup "artist" friend would have gone way overboard, so I just said thanks, but no thanks. My cousin is a makeup artist for Lancome, but was firmly told "this is what I wear daily, it must look like this, but you can do it more refined than I can, so I put it in your hands". I loved loved loved it... it came out perfect and how I wanted it. Granted, it was more make up than my daily get up (which is light to none), but I look like myself, and it looked awesome.
  • I'll be boycotting getting my makeup done.  I don't do a great job of it myself, but I don't want anything excessive, so it'll do.  I might get my sister to show me a few tricks before hand, though.
  • I did my own wedding makeup. I'm good with the stuff - besides being good at my own, I also do theater makeup and I've done my own to be in a TV pilot and a movie, so I'm used to doing different variations of makeup to go with the lighting. For you wedding, do your every day makeup, just a little more so.
  • I'm doing my own makeup...I happen to do it very well and look nice everyday. I don't think I need to pay someone to do it for me if I can do it myself just as good.
  • i had my bridal portraits in which i wore more make up than i usually do anyway, and you still can't tell i'm wearing makeup hardly. soooo, not me.
  • But kloesk, the question is, would you have been unattractive in the pics without the extra makeup?
  • I am with you!! I think that my regular, everyday makeup routine looks just fine and that is what I will be doing. FI loves me the way I am (even in sweatpants, a baggy Tshirt and no makeup with cleaning supplies in hand) and has said that I will look beautiful no matter what, so I shouldn't stress over getting my make up done. I must confess that I feel more confident about this decision because we are not having a professional photographer and I'm not worried about lights etc. (Tiny wedding, Mom and Father in Law taking pics.)
  • I was planning on also boycotting the whole professional make-up artist thing...and I figured DD would as well. WRONG! We're driving to the tux shop yesterday and she blurts out "Mom, I want you to get your hair and make-up done professionally." Huh??? I think I do pretty good on my own...so do I consider this an insult? LOL!
  • i wouldn't have looked like a complete wreck but I also don't want want look just *not gross* on my wedding day
  • although one of my goals IS to look not gross
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards