Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

poll -- bar for extra half hour?

So I think we've decided to extend our reception by 30 minutes.  We have to pay an additional flat amount for the extra 30 minutes, but the bar isn't included.  So would you:A. Close the bar at 11, but have the reception go till 11:30B. Have the bar become a cash/consumption bar for the last half hourC. We suck it up and pay the bar tab for the last half hour in addition to the flat fee?

Re: poll -- bar for extra half hour?

• edited December 2011
    I'd say suck it up. Why did you decide this? To make up for the extra half hour at dinner?
    BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Stacy has read 24 books toward her goal of 35 books.
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    I say at least option B or C - if the bar is closed, chances are your guests will leave which will make the extension not worthwhile. All of the venues told us this as well.
  • blacksredblacksred member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would make it a cash bar. Only because i wouldnt really want people getting "one for the road" and maybe just offer soda,juice and water but nothing alcoholic.
  • edited December 2011
    ...What time is your ceremony/reception beginning?  I would go with option B.  There's really no need to add on that extra expense, and at the end of the night people won't (and shouldn't) be drinking as much. 
  • ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like the idea of randomly walking up to the bar at 11:05 and them charging me... where they hadn't all night.
  • edited December 2011
    OK our cocktail hour is 6-7, dinner 7-8:30, entertainment 8:30-11:30.  Yep pumpkinseed I wanted to cut a few things from dinner and my mom is panicking about rushing through dinner, so Kait made a great suggestion that I should have thought of already, just extending it another 30 minutes.Can I add another option?D: Limited bar from 11-11:30 (beer/wine only)?
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Buttons - no cash bar at the end. Look at the cost costs and see if it is worth it - some people start to leave as soon as you cut the cake so you will find not everyone is there till the end.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't remember what we did at our wedding, but isn't last call announced about 1/2 hr before the night ends? 
  • edited December 2011
    I think just beer and wine could be a decent alternative...but I agree with buttons and sam...you have to have atleast something.You're absolutely sute you'll need 1.5 hours for dinner?
    BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    *sure
    BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    I think it would be okay if the bar closed @ 11. In my case, a lot of guests left after dinner.
  • edited December 2011
    1. No cash bar.2. There is no "last call" at a wedding. They serve until the end, unless it says otherwise in your contract.3. Beer & wine is not a good idea - think about if you're the person who's been drinking liquor all night and then you're forced to switch.I say suck it up and pay the extra. It probably won't be that bad because at the end of the night hopefully everyone is on the dance floor.
    edited December 2011
    Can you just give a CC or something, and then after 11, switch it to cash bar, but not for the guests. It may be cheaper just to have them charge you for that half hour by person, rather then a lump sum based on how many people would be there. You could just say you will pay for everyone's "tab" so the guests have no idea... it's still open bar to them.
  • edited December 2011
    i agree with jess. if i was at a wedding and all of a sudden the bar changed to cash bar, i would definately give the couple side-eye.
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely do C.
  • edited December 2011
    For once, I agree with Buttons. That was an option for us (cash bar that we paid for).
    edited December 2011
    Jessh- I feel the love already! This could be the begining to many a SSEC!!
  • edited December 2011
    Yep, there isn't a per-head fee so we'd be secretly paying for the cash bar, which I think is the route we'll go.  And like others said, people might have started filtering out  by then so it might not be an astronomical tab or anything.  I hope.  Thanks!
  • rumdrinxrumdrinx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's really no need to add on that extra expense, and at the end of the night people won't (and shouldn't) be drinking as much.Ok, sister mary margaret
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    i will not sit here and act like i havent been one of those crazy drunk guests at a wedding who have snuck out a half full martini glass. open bar lovers unite!
  • jessica0602jessica0602 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm backing you up cand.  at my last go to the bar, i usually double fist.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah both of our families are Irish, most of FI's friends are fishing buddies who are never without their beer, and my friends absolutely will drink their weight in free and wine booze at an open bar.  I was at a wedding recently where the bar closed at 8, an hour before the reception ended at 9.  There wasn't a "last call" announcement or anything.  It was a disaster and people were really upset.  I would have paid for a drink at that point than not had any more alcohol at all.  Hence this line of questioning.
  • edited December 2011
    delicate - i think you just answered your own question right there.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes Cand, and delicate...? Let me tell you...if you think you're sneaking in my reception after dinner for a taste of the martini ice luge, but then I'm going to sneak in yours and have to pay for my drink?!?! Whew you'll be staring at the business end of a hissy fit!
    BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    Perhaps you should sneak in with a flask in that case?  lol.
  • edited December 2011
    Damn leaving work early! Rositamonita, I love you girl, but I don't get the "and at the end of the night people won't (and shouldn't) be drinking..."  Why the H not?  No wedding is as good as your own, so I drink to get through them all!  What does it matter if you have a DD or a hotel?  My people drank till 4am at my wedding!
  • edited December 2011
    Jewels, I said it with the intent that there will be people driving home.  Guess I wasn't really thinking about the idea that you'd have lots of people staying over or using a DD...I'm not a particularly heavy drinker (neither are most of my family/friends), so clearly I'm a bit biased there and not being considerate of the fact that sometime people drink until 4 AM, I guess. 
  • edited December 2011
    And actually, another option for delicate if she doesn't want to suck it up, though I guess this might be considered *GASP* tacky and awful, too: Close the bar for 1/2 hour during dinner or at the very beginning of the reception. 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Buttons.  Just pay with your CC at the end for the 30 minutes or the venue will charge you for an open bar for 30min based on your final headcount #.  Even though you are both irish, you will lose some of your guests before the end of the reception.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards