Snarky Brides

Could this be a bit too much?

http://www.parentdish.com/2009/07/30/new-dolls-leave-little-to-the-imagination?icid=main|hp-laptop|dl3|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentdish.com%2F2009%2F07%2F30%2Fnew-dolls-leave-little-to-the-imaginationI find nothing wrong with a grown women nursing in public, but a doll pretend nursing a young girl maybe a bit much.

Re: Could this be a bit too much?

• I'm enraged.  We can't trust women to make the best choices for themselves and their children so let's indocrinate them into BFing before they even have breasts.  Such BS.
  • I don't have a problem with the concept of little girls pretend breasteeding a doll.  I can see a girl with a new sibling want to feed her baby doll like her mom feeds the baby.  And I'm not all RAAAR If you don't breastfeed, you're a bad mom, but there are a lot f advantages, and I don't see an issue with having these dolls if we're going to have dolls with bottles.I do have a problem with halter tops and daisy nipples.  That squigs me out.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • A five-year-old can pretend to BF with any old doll.  The purpose of these things is to instill that they "should" BF early.
  • A five-year-old can pretend to BF with any old doll. The purpose of these things is to instill that they "should" BF early. Yeah, I agree that they can use any doll.  But they make dolls that specifically suck when you put a bottle in it's mouth, why not ones that suck when you put it near your chest?  I don't think it needs to be instilled in children either, but is it really being instilled if there are still way more bottle sucking babies on the market?

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • My point is that women don't need dolls as kids to encourage them to make the best decision as an adult, evidenced by the fact that many if not most women BF despite the bottle fed dolls. I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of a toy that pretend suckles at a little girl's nipple, I must admit.  And apparently the way to make that work is the daisy nipple shirt, which seems like a pedophile's we dream.
  • I guess part of the argument is what SB already mentioned. Baby dolls come with  bottles and they make cool noises etc. when you give the baby the bottle, which one could argue endorses bottle over breast. Now, I won't be running off to buy one of these for Maggie, she can use her imagination as to how to feed a baby. Most little girls figure it out anyway.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • It's the attitude that bugs me.  Those crazy women who won't BF.  Let's get them while their young and impressionable.
  • I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of a toy that pretend suckles at a little girl's nipple, I must admit. And apparently the way to make that work is the daisy nipple shirt, which seems like a pedophile's we dream. I admit I am too.  I think the concept of a breastfeeding doll doesn't bother me, but in practice this one does.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • I might argue the opposite, that regular old baby dolls with bottles imply that women who breastfeed are crazy.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • This reminds me of the baby doll I had that came with diapers that turned brown or yellow to signify that she had dirtied her diaper, which my mother hated.  I also had a doll that was anatomically correct, which my mother took away from me (a gift from my great-grandmother).The thing is, my mom thought dolls should be for play - to pretend with.  There's no reason why they have to teach or condition kids.  
  • There's no reason why they have to teach or condition kids.Why not teach kids at ever opportunity?  My mom tried to make everything into a teachable moment, and I'm convinced it's a huge part of why I'm successful today.  I plan to do that with my kids.And WTF is wrong with an anatomically correct doll?  You can look down your own pants and see the same thing.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • I have nothing to add except that the name of the doll is cracking me up. I want to see "Glutton Baby" in kids lists to Santa.

Husbands should be like Kleenex: Soft, strong, and disposable.
  • I can see a girl with a new sibling want to feed her baby doll like her mom feeds the baby.My niece did this with her doll after we visited at Christmas. She just held it up to her shirt. She'd named her doll William, and after we left informed my brother that William didn't take bottles anymore, "He eats like real baby William." I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching kids about breastfeeding and bottlefeeding, but the daisy nipple thing is fuccking weird.

• Well, I guess my mom felt that the anatomically correct doll (a boy, by the way) was inappropriate because I was especially young (around, 4 ro 5 I think).Also, I was disappointed with this present because it was hard plastic and aside from it's texture, it really did look like a real baby (wrinkly skin, no eyelashes, pained expression on it's face etc.).   It just wasn't a fun baby doll.I think my mom felt like this doll was jumping the gun a bit.  At that age, I prefered cabbage patch kids to actual babies.I agree that it could have been used to explain to me the difference between boys and girls, so it could have been used as a lesson.  But at that point I guess we weren't ready for that.
  • I think everyone should have to respond to this thread using only the poll responses at the bottom:Would you buy a nursing doll for your daughter?Yes. There's nothing wrong with breast-feeding.Maybe.  It would depend on how old she was.No.  That's just gross.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, I had a brother so by 4 or 5 I knew the difference between boys and girls and knew what a penis looked like.  Maybe it's different for kids without siblings or family of the opposite sex.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • I am with NP on this one. I don't see a problem with girls using a dolly to mimic bottle or breastfeeding but the accessories that come with particular doll are whack.
  • I'm with NP, also. 
  • I think kids are naturally going to mimic mom, even with a normal doll. I think playtime in and of itself is valuable and not eveything has to teach. I think the idea that women will decide to breast or bottle feed based on their childhood toys is insulting and rather dumb.  I think most women are going to look at a variety of factors and make the best choice for themselves and and their children.  For the ones likely to need outside influence to decide what to do, there's so much pressure on women to BF that I don't think we need to convince them at 5.
  • there's so much pressure on women to BFI guess since I knew all along I would breastfeed I wasn't viewing information about breastfeeding as pressure per se.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • It's more than information.  My cousin got sooooo much crap for not BF'ing.  Why?  Can't you?  Don't you know it's better for the baby?  That's selfish.  And she's nice, so unlike me if/when I get to that point, she wouldn't just say, nunyafingbizness.
  • I find the pressure comes from both sides. I have some people who were pushing for me to BF (which I am) and then I had others who couldn't understand why I would even bother. We have money so why wouldn't be FF. Umm what?
  • I'm with Fallin.Also, women should make the decision to breastfeed or not based on the benefits and costs.  I don't think a 4 year old's maturity is going to allow her to understand immune system, formula expenses, and painful nipples enough to influence her decision 15-30 years later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, we heard some of the formula feeding as a status symbol commentary. Oh well. People are always going to offer unsolicited opinions on what you choose to do with your children.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Yeah, I got the pressure, and the comments.  I tried.  I took the classes.  I spoke to the LC.  All of it.  I am really sensitive to this subject because it should be allowed to be a personal choice and nobody should need to justify going one way or the other.    When I suffered for 10 days and my baby was also suffering, I kept getting the, "Well, it really is the best for your baby."  "There are so many benefits to it."  "Formula isn't poison, but..."For every one "Formula isn't poison," I got five more, "BF is so great because..."Sorry, I'll end my rant here.
  • I will never understand how a miserable unhappy mom is "best for baby". I am in the 'I am going to give it a shot' camp. If it works for us then great, if not then there are other options.I find you get the same sort of comments with co-sleeping vs crib sleeping.
  • To bad their isn't a T shirt for those unwanted BF'ing comments.
  • Shoot Vinny, I'm sorry people would say such things to you. It just plain doesn't work for some women, as much as they might want it to.It's like this on so many issues. SAH versus working mom. Cloth and disposable diapers. Co sleeping. Scheduling and on demand. TV no TV. When to start solids. Forward facing vs rear facing.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • My children are doomed and will die young because my milkless nipples will do nothing for their immune systems.  Damned penis. 
    3 out of 4 dead babies agree! pepsi is better than coke! - EdithBouvierBeale
    Lordy. Grow some balls and stop lurking. It's like stealing from the internet. Jesuschrist. -- AudreyHorne
    I hate love and marriage. I got married so I could destroy these things from the inside. - NoisyPenguin
    It's a good thing my circle of trust is as giant as my vagina. That only leaves a couple people out. - Cali
  • The Scottish don't use A1.  They use AYYYYEE1.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards