Missouri-Kansas City

New Here!

Hi! I just got engaged on Monday the 27th of July. My name is Andrea and my fiance name is Thomas. We are planning our wedding for Oct. 2, 2010. I'm super excited and can't wait to start planning.Any advice would be great!Andrea

Re: New Here!

• edited December 2011
    welcome and congrats! Have you guys started the planning process yet beyond the date?
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome Andrea!!! :) Congratulations!!! :) My advice would be to start looking at where you want your ceremony and/or reception to be and BOOK ASAP. Given your wedding date you may not be able to book until October because some places won't do more then a year out. However, some places will go ahead and let you do more then a year out. Do not wait especially if there is a place you really, really want.Also, book other things early once you figure your venue like photographer, caterer, DJ, other things you may want.If you never been to a bridal show I highly recommend going to one. It can give you ideas, you can do taste samplings with several different people under one roof.There is a bridal show coming up November 1st at the Overland Park Convention Center from 10-5pmhttp://kansas-city.perfectweddingguide.com/events/bridal-shows/5208/
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto previous posts! I assume you have your venue if you know your date for sure?  I would definitely start looking ASAP for ceremony and reception locations if you don't have one.  Sites I've loved for vendors: www.weddingwire.com, www.theknot.com , www.kcweddings.com Good Blogs: www.weddingbee.com , www.stylemepretty.com , www.oncewed.com , www.projectwedding.com Good Luck
  • edited December 2011
    Sit down with you DF and figure out what aspects of the day are important to you both, is it the food, the pictures etc.  That way when you are booking vendors you know which ones you are willing to splurge on a bit as opposed to cutitng corners on others.  Oh and dont book a reception or ceremony location until you know your approx guest list.  You dont want to book someplace and discover that your guest list has gotten otu of control and you cant fit there anymore.  
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Julia!! Good Point, the first two things you should do are:  1)  Determine your budget and 2)  Determine your guest list. These two things really are the two factors that will influence all of your other decisions. theknot.com has a great budget tool, as does weddingwire.com GL!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of your comments. I've wrote them all down. We are working on the guest list and budget this weekend. We haven't picked a venue for the ceremony or the reception. Were trying to decide if we want to do 2 locations or just one.Do any of you use a paper wedding planner? If so is it in addition to online planning tools?Andrea
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!  As for a paper planning tool, a friend of mine got one when she looked into registering at JCPenny, and never used it so she gave it to me.  I've used it as well as the online planning tool because I like to have something that is in writing.  I remember better if I've written it down, plus it has a lot of other catagories that I didn't think of!  GL! 
  • edited December 2011
    i've used a paper wedding planner that i just made myself out of dividers and plastic sleeves. i also have my crackberry which holds everything in place for when i need information immediately.i encourage you and your FI to sit down and write down the five things that are hands down, absolutely the most important things you want out of this wedding. if it's the dress, write down the dress.  if it's a massive cake, write down massive cake. if it's a fun environment for everyone to celebrate and enjoy some yummy food, write that down. go ahead and write down what's most important to you.  you will get sidetracked. you will begin to embellish upon things because, as a bride, you will get carried away in dream land a few times throughout this planning process. we are all human and it's in our nature to overembellish sometimes. by having a top five list of what is sooo important to you two out of this fabulous day, you'll be more apt in those moments of weakness to refer back to your top five and get re-grounded.congratulations and good luck!!
    jenifriend
    may flower
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and Welcome! And I agree with what all the other girls said haha :)
    Kristen & Ryan | 10.10.10
    My Married Bio | My Blog
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    congratulations! =]
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of the advice and congratulations to all of you as well! Andrea
  • edited December 2011
    aaaah! my name is also andrea and i am also new! yay!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome new girls, and let us know what we can do to help!  Enjoy your engagement!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Andrea! I'm kinda new here myself. One of the first things I did when Jason and I got engaged was hire a wedding planner. We set a modest budget and thought a planner would know best how to spend it. We interviewed about three different planners, but really liked Danielle Suarez from Soiree Event Design. She has been absolutely worth the additional cost. She knows so many vendors that i couldn't have found otherwise. So far we have stayed under our budget and haven't had to stress out over the whole planning process. Our wedding is May 2010 and we have EVERYTHING done!!! It has been by far the best decision we have made (besides getting engaged :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards