Connecticut

Venue search is hopefully over

We went to see the GYC yesterday. Gorgeous inside and out! We met with Jordan Caterers; the official caterers for the club. Marissa from Jordan's was a pleasure to meet with. Steve and I both loved the place (yes, we've finally agreed 100% on a place). We felt so comfortable we seriously didn't want to leave! So what's the problem? Well we thought 180 was their max capacity, which is it, but it would take a chunk of the dance floor away. 150-160 would be far more reasonable/comfortable. We had over 200 people on our tentative list. We certainly could reduce the list by cutting out people from our work. Steve has about 15 from work and I have over 30. But our jobs have been asking us about the wedding and we are really close to some of the people there. Can you pick and choose? There is no set price but would run us at about the same as anthony's/cascade/saybrook point but you get to customize your own menu so it could go lower or of course much higer! I want to see how much they typically are able to give us in our price range (I've heard they're more expensive than other places) There is a hefty rental fee but with fewer guests we'd be spending (hopefully) less money elsewhere to make the difference (less tables/less centerpieces/less people/less food/less favors/less invites.) So, thought I'd come get some knottie input on Guilford Yacht Club, Jordan's, J cakes (their cake vendor), and drastically cutting the list in effort to get the venue you want. TIA!
Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Venue search is hopefully over

• edited December 2011
    I should add that if we were to add a tent outside it would allow us to invite our entire list. We don't know how we feel about putting some people outside or having the dance floor out there. Anyone do this before? As you can see I'm desperate to make this work! It just seems to "us" to let this one go!
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I met with Marissa at Jordan Caterers also. Compared to the other caterers we met, we had mixed feelings about her and she was actually rather inflexible when it came to some of our reception ideas (things that all the other caterers were fine with doing, e.g. plated salad w/ a buffet dinner). She asked us what price we'd like to stay under before she gave us the quote, but when she finally sent it 3-4 weeks later it was almost $4000 over that number. Out of all the caterers we met with, they were by far the most expensive and tried to get us to do a lot of things with them that would tack on more money even though they were unnecessary (e.g. our venue has all the dishes and flatware included in the rental, but Marissa told us it would be easier if we rented it from them... I still don't understand that thought process at all.) With that being said, they are a big reputable company, so I would imagine they'd do a good job. We did feel kind of like we were a number though. We did not get to taste their food because they said it would cost us $100/person to taste the food if we wanted to do it before we signed a contract. I truly am not trying to badmouth them, but that was our experience. I thought she was a nice person, but comparatively speaking, they just didn't make the cut. I'd say if the GYC could let you do a tasting before signing with them (and not having to pay $100/person), that would be huge. If we had gotten to the point of trying their food and liked it, I probably would have been more open to putting up with everything else.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this isn't much help- just thinking out loud, but how much would you have to really cut your list by. If you invite 200, with 20% not be able to attend, it works out to about 160. I know that you really can't think like that since, with that logic, EVERYONE will end up showing up.
  • edited December 2011
    Akulaji, Thanks for your reply. I got a good feeling about Marissa/Jordan's but we didn't get down to the nitty gritty about price, etc. I went to a cook-out catered by Jordan's but it was just hot dogs and hamburgers so it's hard to say. It's always reassuring to taste the food no matter how many accolades a company has. This is a lot of money and the food is everything! Hopefully within the coming weeks we can discuss everything more. Vanessa, you are absolutely right about the 20%. There are people we KNOW won't come. But who knows, maybe they'll surprise us. My 30 from work definitely all won't come. It's a total of 15 women that work night shift from work, with their husbands. At least 6 of these 15 women will need to work...taking off 12 from the list. Then I'm not sure if the others would really bring their husbands or just go as a group since I've never met their significant other. We have 232 on the list to start, maybe we can knock it down to 190 and with a few declines be ok.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, as long as the details work out for you and you felt like they were a good fit, that's what's important. FYI, if you actually want Marissa to be at the wedding, it costs extra. Otherwise, the captain just runs things and you don't get to meet them ahead of time to run through the details (from what I understood.. of course the rules may be different with the GYC since they have a special relationship). My guess is that if they are the only people that cater at the GYC, that is a full time client of theirs. They probably have a staff that just does the events their, so the quality of service should be good. They know the venue well. You never know, they may do tasting there for less (or free) since they are the only caterer. That would be nice! Marissa did give us the impression that they would work with our budget and adapt it to whatever we want, but the quote didn't come out that way, so I don't know if she just forgot or disregarded it. Hopefully though, they can come in at a number you're comfortable with.
  • edited December 2011
    They definitely are used to the venue. They actually gave input as far as decor when the club was first being built as well as other things. We are looking at 2011 so she didn't have prices yet. We talked a little bit about other venues that Jordan's cater. Since they are coming in sometimes they need to create kitchens, etc. at some locations which all adds up. It's always good to get another person's experience- hence why I thought I'd ask here. I'll keep that in mind. Sounds like you found someone willing to do what you want and in your budget too! I guess I just have to wait and see if it's going to be budget-friendly or at least do-able. After we looked at the guest list we decided that we could make it work. Or maybe I just want this to work so bad I'm crazy..lol. Anyone else get like that when they found their venue? Like dress shopping (haven't done it yet) you just knew it was the one?
  • edited December 2011
    I know exactly what you mean. We loved our venue so much that we went with it even though we knew it would cost us more than going with a place that you pay a per head price and they do everything. Whether it ends up being the GYC or somewhere else, I'm positive you'll find the perfect place. You've got plenty of time too, so don't worry! Good luck!
  • rel830rel830 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on finding a place you love! If you go with it, I would suggest inviting exactly 180 people and doing a B list in case you have room for more. I know those are controversial but it seems like it might be useful in your situation since there would be an actual number you can't go beyond. Or you could just invite your whole list and see at the end if you need a tent. As for work friends, that's really tricky. I guess it depends what relationship you have with them and whether you're friendly with them individually or as a big group. If it's more of a group thing, I think it would be hard to pick and choose. If there are some people you are clearly closer to than others, it's way easier. I wouldn't feel obligated to invite work people just because they are asking. The good part about having a venue with a maximum is that if you have to cut people, you have a good reason for it.
  • edited December 2011
    I luv the place!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards