New Hampshire

Venue tax/tip Q...

So I'm calculating my food costs and I'm trying to add in tax and tip and I came across a question that I don't think has been asked. Will I get charged for the cost of the food + 8% tax (based on food cost) + 20% tip (based on food cost) OR will the tip be based on the cost of the food and the tax together. I assume its the second option but I want to make sure.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Venue tax/tip Q...

• edited December 2011
    Not sure but I would think you would just be taxed on the food not on the tip but I could be wrong.
  • Mrs BabsMrs Babs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well no I guess what I'm asking is if I need to tip based on just the food or the food + tax
  • sands0220sands0220 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my experience the tip is usually only based on the cost of food.  Does your venue automatically add in your tip or do they ask you what amount you want to give?  If it's the 1st option I would def. check with your venue because if it is based on food + tax that could be a significant amount more money than if it's just on food.   
  • edited December 2011
    I always tip on the cost of the food, not including the tax. I'd assume it would be the same with venues. PS. The food tax is now 9%, so I'm not sure if that will change your figures.
    Laura
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ninnypooperninnypooper member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She will tax you off of the food cost total (8%) and then she calculate the gratuity (20%) off of the same food cost total.Is that clear? LoL. If your food total is $6,800, then you will add 8% (of $6,800) to that and 20% (of $6,800) to is and that will give you your final total.
  • Mrs BabsMrs Babs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! Ninny that makes perfect sense and was very helpful. I was hoping that was what she would do. And wait...meal tax is 9%??? In NH?? When did that happen. My contract says 8%.
  • ninnypooperninnypooper member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd just call Jennifer on whether it's 8% or 9%. I don't know if something like that matters if it's in the contract :(
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, the increase just happened recently. It might not affect you if your contract says 8%.
    Laura
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards