Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Enforced Sterilization

Since I can't post in the thread below and ya'll are going crazy with the "they should be neutered" stuff.  What makes you think you have the right to decide if another human being should be sterilized?  Of course, it's all fine and dandy when it's you saying someone else should be sterilized, but it would be a different picture once someone tells YOU that you aren't allowed to have kids.

Re: Enforced Sterilization

• Options
    I think that we should neuter my cousin... the one in the thread above this one...

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    When I start having to pay for another human's kids is when I'd like them to be sterilized.
  • Options
    Well Nicole, let's hope that you never have kids and then, God forbid, your husband passes after a long illness which completely wiped out your bank accounts, and you lost your job while trying to care for him... Huh.  Guess you'd be a little upset with that idea then, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    I still think I'd have a difficult time going on welfare, and it would definitely be a last resort. Such cases are tragic, but I don't think that's who the majority of welfare goes to.
  • Options
    I have a problem with people who reproduce over and over and over again, and don't have the money to care for them, I think that's the point Nicole is also trying to make.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    I think it is a novel idea, but it would be too invasive and really, where's the line? Who's deciding if you're good enough to have kids? Ultimately, BAD idea.
  • Options
    But if you had no choice, and had to go on welfare, and someone came to you and said, "Since you have to go on welfare, we're going to give you this shot, and you'll be sterilized, irreversibly, forever."  So even if you get yourself together and go off welfare, and get married again- you can never have another child.  Does this really make sense to you?
  • Options
    tlv204tlv204 member
    First Comment
    Oh chill out, it's not like I'm running around with a machete threatening to cut off douchebags' balls. Clearly, they're not the best parents in the world.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Ooh.  Okay, whit.  So, it's the POOR PEOPLE who need to be sterilized.  I see.Again, if they manage to get themselves out of that state, what happens then? They'll have the stigma of having once been poor (which can't be hidden because they're sterilized).  Sounds like fun.
  • Options
    While I frequently am appalled by the circumstances that some of my students are forced to endure at home, and I tell FI that I think there are many people who should not be allowed to breed...I agree that enforced sterilization is a slippery (and scary) slope. The eugenics movement in the early 1900s wasn't good...In Vermont alone there we many Native Americans who were sterilized solely because of their background...I did research on it as an undergrad, and while the intentions of the leaders of the movement actually were not malicious (they honestly thought they were protecting future children) the act of sterilization was definitely a bad thing...so while I may say (and believe) some people shouldn't breed, I think carrying it out would be heinous...And apparently I can get very fired up on the subject...I didn't even read the previous post, but the subject gets me going!
    imageimage
    BFP 5/2/11, missed m/c, D&C 6/13/11
    BFP 12/8/11--Little Girl E Born 8/22/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    TLV, I'm starting a topic of discussion.  I don't know what your deal is, but you could tone down the antagonism a bit, especially since I didn't say "TLV is going to forcibly neuter people!"
  • Options
    I am not for sterlization literally...I took it more as saying things like "Stupid people shouldn't breed." Do people that say that REALLY mean you have to take an IQ test and if you don't get enough points you're done having babies? Doubtful. I'll admit, I've said things like that before, not meaning it to be taken so literally, and thought out to its ultimate conclusion...
  • Options
    tlv204tlv204 member
    First Comment
    And it's a good topic of discussion. Sorry I didn't mean to be so snarky, I just wanted to point out that it's not always literal when people say that, as other posters have also mentioned.  I would never advocate actual sterilization.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    It's a topic that's been discussed here previously, and it turned out that a lot of people literally were for enforced sterilization, mostly of people in the 3rd world and poor people everywhere.
  • Options
    What about people with AIDS or some other disease that would be passed on to their children? Child molesters?
  • Options
    tlv204tlv204 member
    First Comment
    That's terrifying.  I'm all for punishing terrible parents, but I feel like that's how genocide starts.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Okay, to play devil's advocate here...what if a person were convicted of child molestation, sexual assault of a minor, child endangerment, child abuse, child neglect...generally a crime or crimes that have hurt children?I am not advocating sterilization, because I do believe that it is a slippery slope.  But what about in the above situation?  Would that change your mind at all?
  • Options
    geekgurl, that's exactly what I was getting at.
  • Options
    Yeah, I didn't say poor people. I don't consider myself poor, but if I keep reproducing and stop being able to care for them in the way they deserve, then that's not fair. I never said anything about sterilizing, FWIW. Also, condoms are free at the health department. Why should I have to continue to pay for people that can't afford their kids when there is a free way to stop it?But I'm not advocating sterilization.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but if you bash your infant's head in, you should NOT be allowed to reproduce again. If you stab your four year old to death, you should NOT be allowed to reproduce again. Both of those instances are straight from that article.
  • Options
    Not all children born of AIDS infected parents have AIDS themselves.  That being said- would you condemn a good portion of the continent of Africa because they didn't learn until it was nearly too late, about AIDS and what was killing people?When you make a blanket statement like that, you overlook the cultural reasons why people continue to have children in those areas.  For example, women don't have the right to say no, they don't have the right to abortions, they don't have the right to tell a man to wear a condom.  It is not socially acceptable for people to NOT have children.  If you live in an area where 40% of children die before they reach the age of 12, you keep having kids in the hopes that at least a couple of them make it through.
  • Options
    I wasn't stating an opinion there, just bringing up other items for discussion, curious what people thought.
  • Options
    I do understand the "stupid people shouldn't reproduce" idea, but I think actually putting it into effect would be wrong.However, I think it should be illegal for those on welfare to go through In Vitro Fertilization.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sorry amoro, I got what you were going for, and was trying to help! Bad timing, I guess. Most people are outta here for the weekend. I am in 15 min!
  • Options
    We actually just had this discussion/debate in my microbiology class last night.  It is one I don't have a solid answer to.  yes, I see the reasoning that people are pointing out for why it should be mandated in some cases.  But I would argue that it is cruel and unusual punishment that we do not have the right to inflict on people regardless of their crimes.  Someone brought up sex offenders.  If we castrate sex offenders, should we cut off murderers hands?In the case of people having too many babies/contracting STIs and AIDS, I think the reform there starts with education.  Abstinence only sex education could be to blame for a lot of that shiiiit.
  • Options
    I support mass amounts of birth control constantly streamed into our water supply. If you want to have a baby, you need to meet certain qualifications (i.e. able to provide for your family and living within your means) and pass a parenting class. Then, you get the antidote.
  • Options
    I think it's ridiculous that to adopt a pet or a kid etc...there's a big whole process and application and other people who have to "approve" of you before you can get your pet or kid; yet, any non-sterile people can have a baby whether they be addicts, pedophiles, abusers, come from low incomes and can't support themselves let alone kids etc...Just because you can make a baby doesn't mean you should. Ingorance is what pisses me off!
  • Options
    tlv204tlv204 member
    First Comment
    I'm starting to think that either The Giver or The Handmaids Tale might actually come true.  **shudder**
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Total Flashback! The Giver is one of my favorite books of all time lol. I read it when I was in like 5th grade, but it is just one of those books that stick in your head!It would be soooooo creepy if it were real.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards