Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Pie instead?

We are having a very fall-themed wedding (barn reception, apples/pumpkin/gourds centerpieces, turkey and mashed potatoes, pumpkin ravioli, squash risotto, etc. are just a few examples of the food served).  Our caterer is providing pumpkin, apple, chocolate hazelnut, and chocolate bourbon pecan tarts as the desserts.  Neither of us are big into cake and don't think that any kind of cake really goes with the fall theme (we hate carrot cake by the way).  Will the desserts our caterer offered suffice?  We could ask her to make one larger pie of each of the 4 options and stack them on a tiered level like some people do for cupcakes but will our guests hate us for not offering something cake-ish?

Re: Pie instead?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I dont see why not.  I'm not into true traditions though.  As a guest, I would think "great idea!".  Esp since I dont like cake either. Sounds like a yummy meal *drools*.You could even get them decorated with icing or patterns in the dough to dress them up a bit.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pie is great! You can display 2 or 3 of them on cake stands of different heights as a 'centerpiece' to the dessert table. My mom was at a casual wedding recently where they served whoopie pies for dessert. The program actually listed the cutting ceremony as "Cutting of the Wedding Whoopie Pie". :o)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh- somewhere I saw a photo of the pies being displayed on top of galvanized buckets turned upside-down! I thought that was a cute idea for a fall wedding.
  • Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pie sounds great and most people love it. If someone resents you for not serving cake, they have problems. Even the "upscale" wedding blogs such as Snippet&Ink and the like regularly feature weddings with pies served instead and they think it's a great idea.
  • Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're going to be decorating them, do it with whipped cream, not cake icing.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Pies would be fine. You're never going to make 100% of your guests happy ... I think most people would be pleased with any kind of dessert.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm jealous--I wanted pie, but was overruled by my FI, mom, his mom, his sisters, my sisters, my dad, his dad... I love pie.  (at least we're having cake a la mode)
  • Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It sounds great to me.  We had cheesecakes instead of cake and they were a huge hit.  Pics in bio of how we set them up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards