Wedding Etiquette Forum

Any wine people here?

I need a suggestion for the type of wine to serve with our dinner at the wedding. Here is the menu: Roast Tenderloin of Beef with Balsamic Shallot Bordelaise and Sesame Shrimp with Chili Cilantro Butter accompanied by Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Chef-Selected Grilled Fresh Vegetables What would you pick between these: Tunnel of Elms, Chardonnay La Playa Sauvignon Blanc Ménage a Trois White Our venue said those are popular wines for them to serve with dinner (they will walk around and offer red and white. FI picked the red, I am picking the white)I like Sauvignon Blanc but is that one a lot of people like? What "goes" best? Keep in mind the bar will be open during dinner so guests can get other drinks or wine if they wish too or don't want/like the wine. Thanks!

Re: Any wine people here?

• I used to know wine, now I just concentrate more on what I like. I personally prefer Sauvignon Blanc over Chardonnay, which can be too dry for my taste.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • La Playa Sauvignon Blanc--drink it, love itMenage a trois White--had it before, pretty much hate it
  • I think I mis-understood the question...I love Sauvignon Blanc and prefer it over Chardonnay. I'm not sure what the Menage a Trois "White" means. Just a generic table wine? I don't like the brand at all personally.
  • I can't remember having Sauvignon to be honest, but I'd probably steer towards the Chardonnay (which I ALSO don't normally like) because with such a powerful flavor, you'll want something a bit dry to keep from conflicting too much with the shrimp.  If you went with something sweet, it could cause a really bad combo.
  • I'd go with the Sauvignon Blanc unless it is too "soft" then I'd go with the Chardonnay.  I think you need a somewhat bold wine to go with chili clilantro and garlic.I prefer the SB as most CA chards are too "bold" for my taste.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Yeah, I am torn between the Sauvignon Blanc and the Chardonnay. The only reason why I may go with the SB (other than the fact I like it the best) is Chardonnay will be available at the bar if people really want that instead. But if SB really doesn't pair well then I will go with the Chard.
  • I just read a wine site for reviews, and while they have the same level of "goodness" the Sauvignon is tagged as being good with junk food.  ..... That answered the question for me.  lol
  • My DH is a professional wine guy (cellar manager), he says definately the Sauvignon Blanc. No Chardonnay.
  • i used to sell La Playa Sauv Blanc when I was a wine rep, and it's not a typical Sauv Blanc like from California or Australia.  Perhaps go buy a bottle of that before you pick it.I'm surprised they don't have a Pinot Grigio.  I would call them back and ask for Pinot Grigio.  Stella (the name of the wine company) Pinot Grigio is a very very affordable and delicious Pinot Grigio.  Or Kris (another winery name). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards