Texas-Houston
Options

what do you dislike about weddings

after reading another board...it made me think, i've asked what you like about other weddings...but what do you hate more in general about weddings you've attended?

Re: what do you dislike about weddings

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't say i hate it, but it makes the wedding kinda boring when the bride/groom do so many dances. I mean the bride/father, groom/mother is fine. But I really don't care to watch you dance with your entire family...
  • Options
    happydragonhappydragon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    seeing the same stuff over and over. I wish more people worried less about what others thought or what is tradition and really put a lot of their style as a couple into their weddings. Its the biggest party you will ever throw. I just think people should loosen up a little bit.
  • Options
    Zurita1123Zurita1123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The long gaps... this is mostly for those of us who get married at 2 or 3 and then have a reception at 6 or 7. what do you tell your guests to do??? I'd like to have as many people as possible for the ceromony but i know that more than likely wont happen b/c they wont show up till later for the reception due to THE STUPID GAP. er.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So why are you having a gap then Z?
  • Options
    STBMrsMartinSTBMrsMartin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    i don't like when the bride and groom don't mingle with the guests. running around like everything is just crazy busy, which it is not. I went to a wedding recently and the bride and groom were outside the whole time and the inside was dead. Obviously people came there to see them and they weren't even around. I felt like I was at my 7th grade dance. Crickets...
    Photobucket
    Our little miracle, Jett.
    Planning Bio,
    My Blog
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    its not that i WANT to have a gap, its the fact that most catholic churches have their latest wedding at 2 or 3. its sometimes hard to find a 4 or 5pm one =(
  • Options
    sweet__peasweet__pea member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I have a huge list!- Tulle- Cliche songs:  YMCA, Chicken Dance, Macarena, We Are Family- Big Poofy Bows- White chair covers with a colored sash (bleck)- Silk floral decor- Bad DJs/Bands- Unruly kidsThat's it for now!  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh gotchya! maybe when you send out your invites you can send like a list of places that are around the area of the church or reception site. That way they can have something to do and know of some places to go during the break :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree w/Zurita.  Catholic churches offer Saturday masses anywhere b/w 4-6 pm, so the latest wedding allowed is usually 2 or 3 pm.  Some churches will allow a late 7pm or 8pm mass, but then that gets kinda late.  So it really depends on what you end up comfortable with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sweetpea - i also hate cliche songs too! i am going to KILL my dj if any of those songs play.i also don't like the high school prom looking dance floor that is at most receptions. i am REALLY hoping i can avoid that.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good idea... oh my dont get me started on these kids. when they're running around you during YOUR FIRST DANCE! and where the eff are the parents????!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i don't like the look of weddings that are typical and have no creative elements (ie: white linens, center of the table arrangement with greenery and baby's breath)Basically I don't like when I can't see the couple's personality in the wedding. I like for there to be a cohesive and exciting look to everything, but a lot of brides I think just do the basics because they think that is how things are "supposed to look" instead of infusing their own personality into it.I just feel like there are so many great ideas and DIY projects every bride can do, that it is a shame when the wedding looks so cookie cutter.
    My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com
  • Options
    janie2002janie2002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i don't like when the bride and groom don't mingle with the guests. running around like everything is just crazy busy, which it is not. I thought the same, that's until my wedding. When we are told to go here , there, here and this family member stops you for 5 minutes to say how happy they are, then more photos. Then guest want photos with you. Then the dances, cake cutting. It gets hectic and time speeds up! We still stopped by every table but it is hard, we just tried to hold hands the whole way through and enjoy eachother.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    janie: I completely understand what you were are saying because I expect that at our wedding being pulled in different directions. I don't plan to be completly out of sight from my guest. It was just the recent wedding I went to that the bride and groom were no where to be found at all. The photographer was just standing there because they were not around. And when the bride did come in she was running around. It didn't even feel like we were at a wedding because they weren't there. I understand being really busy and all that. I guess I a basing my dislike from weddings from the last one I went to, which I shouldn't.I dislike the awkward silences at the reception.
    Photobucket
    Planning Bio,
    My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Janie: I like your idea going to each table together. We will plan to do that. Sounds like a good team effort.Thanks for adding me on FB by the way. Love your pics!!
    Photobucket
    Planning Bio,
    My Blog
  • Options
    jmo2187jmo2187 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too dislike when the couple does not go to the table to say hello or mingle with the crowd. I went to a wedding recently and we were friends of groom and the bride never went to the tables that had friends of the groom. And he did the same. I thought that was rude.
  • Options
    erin0709erin0709 member
    edited December 2011
    sweet pea's list is good - I also asked the DJ specifically NOT to play those songs, and he honored my request! :)  I personally dislike assigned seating at weddings.  I understand why so many do it, just don't like it as a guest.  Does make it easy to spot the no-shows or the crashers, though.  haha 
    imageimage
  • Options
    susanasususanasu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The dollar dance and gaps in between ceremony and reception (but understand why for catholic weddings, but I don't like it)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree about the dollar dance, but when it's done in a tactful manner, they are actually pretty cool and fun.  So many weddings do it now for the money, which I think is just plain tacky.It is actually a cultural thing for latin weddings, just as in certain asian cultures, it is customary for the bride to walk with her bridesmaids from table to table collecting donations.  It is a cultural thing, yet others view it as tacky.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I specifically told my DJ NO MACARENA....then my coordinator comes up to me once and tells me there is requests for it...I replied "I don't care, it's still a NO". An hour later she comes back up to me saying that the DJ asked her to ask me again because the requestors "kept on asking"...I then said "whatever" and it was played. It wasnt going to kill me I guess...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards