Snarky Brides

kristen

Can I be nosy and ask about your epidural experience? None of my friends have had one and I have no idea what to expect in reality vs the descriptions (except pain relief).

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman

Re: kristen

• Of course! I'm getting one this time for sure, let me say that up front.  I mentioned we waited to the very last moment for me to get it, so my contractions were coming fast and strong. The nurse probably rounded down how dialated I really was to get me the epi, which I appreciated.  In retrospect I wish I had decided earlier to get it, it's really hard to stay still while they are inserting the needle. They were concerned about Maggie's heart rate, so I had one nurse holding the monitor to my belly while I leaned on another to hold me steady.They didn't get it placed properly the first time (hit a blood vessel, fairly common) so I had to stay still a second time (yes, I wanted to kill the guy doing it) while he tried again. That part didn't hurt at all, but it might have been more uncomfortable than I noticed at the time since I was so miserable from contractions. I didn't realize how long it took, Mike was out of the room almost an hour between the prep, answering the same damn medical history questions I answered twice before, and fixing the medication to the right level.Once it kicked in, I felt great. I still had the strength to move my legs and stuff for pushing, and once I figured out the sensation of a contraction in the numbed state, I knew when to push. I still felt things, but nothing was painful like it was prior. I was out of bed walking around an hour after she was born. The only other thing I should mention is they did drain my bladder twice with a catheder, I was afraid it would irritate my urethra but I didn't have any problems. Anything else you'd like to know? :-)
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Did Mike have to leave the room or was that for your comfort? He had to leave, hospital policy. Not what we would have wanted.Was getting sensation back odd? Did you feel like after pain was more intense because you didn't feel the initial stuff? I didn't feel much pain after the fact, but I had a fairly easy delivery. It did feel strange to get sensation back. It was tingly, also thought I peed myself a couple times. But so much is leaking out after that it doesn't really matter, does it. Did the process stop feeling so out of control once it went in or did you feel more out of it? I felt SO much more with it and aware of what was happening after it was working. I was able to talk with the nurses and understand what to do. Our dads even came in for a while when I was waiting to push and everyone visited. The ability to participate more in the birth and remember what happened is the biggest reason I will do it again. I really only have flashes of what was going on before I got it.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • I felt SO much more with it and aware of what was happening after it was working. I was able to talk with the nurses and understand what to do. ... The ability to participate more in the birth and remember what happened is the biggest reason I will do it again. THAT is so nice to hear. That's how I'm hoping it will be for me. Also the part about little pain after. I felt very, very bruised for a long time, but I think it had to do with how I was pushing. I have new midwives this time and have asked to be given the chance to "labor down" as long as everyone's vitals are good. Too bad about Mike having to leave. Are you going to the same hospital again? Our hospital hasn't said anything about D having to leave, and although I've asked them lots of questions about how epidurals go those crappy policies are often ones they spring on you at the last minute when you're too tired to fuss. I'll ask about it at our next visit.

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
  • We'll be at a different hospital this time, I don't know what their policies are. Everyone is all about CYA for liability purposes these days..Also, there were no adverse effects on Maggie either. She was alert as could be and latched on right away.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Um, yeah, we wanted to pre-register today because I'm feeling like I might barely make 38 weeks and it'd be a load off my mind to know if I go early it's already done. Nope, because your signature is only good for 30 days they won't let you. We had to talk them into letting us do it next week. If I'm this anxious do they really think I'll go past my due date and forget to fill out the forms again? Thank you for all your answers to my nosy questions. It really helps a lot.

• Mouse- I was in the room when my sister-in-law had my niece, along with my mom and brother and we were able to stay in the room when they gave her the epidural. It was so nice to see how the epidural allowed her to be more in touch with what was happening. She also didn't have to have a catheter after.
  • Mouse - Sorry to b*tt in, I just wanted to give one slight warning about the epi.  Although I completely LOVED mine and would do it again in a heartbeat.  DH was holding one of my legs and the doctor kept telling him to push it up when I was pushing, well I couldn't really feel how hard he was pushing my leg up and I ended up spraining my groin muscle which took about a year to finally heal and strengthen back to normal.  Not that you don't have a million other things to worry about while giving birth.  Oh - and when the doctor said she was going to prepare herself for me to push, I pushed the little button they give you to shoot in more epi medicine (it takes 10 minutes to shoot in) so it was timed perfectly to give me an extra shot of medicine so that I didn't feel ANY pain whatsoever.
  • Is that PB? Longtime no-see! Thanks for popping by to share about SIL. Stackeye- Good to know. Mr M is ridiculously careful of me- it's kinda silly how much because we're almost matched in height and weight. So it's hard to imagine that happening, but I do know from experience how it feels when they're yelling at you to push it's hard to gauge what you're doing. So I'll let him know. Especially since I've had some groinal issues that could indicate a weak tendon there. With Bug I really resented how my pushing went and I'm asking them to let me labor down as long as no one is in distress and above all stay out of my face. We'll see how that goes.

• 'Tis I, back from the Underworld. No problem, she handled her labor so well, it makes me almost want to think about not wanting kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards