Wedding Etiquette Forum

Why are you in tonight?

2»

Re: Why are you in tonight?

• Nebb, do you have a pug?  I feel like I remember you said you have a pug.  Does it have breathing issues?  We are looking at a 2nd rescue dog which is a pug mix, and it has a longer snout, but I'm still concerned about long term health issues related to pugs, and want to make sure we are financially prepared. 
  • Thanks, Timmy's. Yeah when I was on Cipro it went away for a while, but then they put me on Bactrim and it did nothing. I honestly felt like I was peeing hot sauce today. One drop at a time. Sorry for the TMI.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I do have a pug! He has fairly good breathing so far - he snores, and sneezes a lot, snorts and makes a lot of noises, but other than that he is fine. He has a fairly short snout too.Que AWing of my adorible dog which, knowing my luck, will not work.[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/qofwvm.jpg[/IMG] 
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    I.LOVE.PUGS.He is such a handsome guy, Nebb!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • because I like me better than I like the guy that asked me to dinner
  • I'm broke.
  • bjporter, when you said Cipro i thought that sounded familiar and I just checked and my ear drops are Cipro drops...weird?  is that weird that it's used for UTI and ear infection?  I guess not?Nebb,  your pug is so incredibly adorable.  All of the pugs at the dog park always make the cutest grunting panting noises when they run around.  Love it.Salt, the worst thing about August birthdays is that I never got to take cupcakes to school to celebrate!  My birthday was always practically the day before school started!  I bet your fi can sympathize (although bringing cupcakes was never as important to boys as girls)
  • NebbNebb member
    Thanks :) Im quite proud of his good looks. He is uncannily tall and muscular for a pug, but according to his vet he is one of the best looking pugs she has seen. If he wasnt so badly behaved Im positive he couldbe a show dog.
  • Here, but headed to bed.Friday is my lame night with FI. Neither of us get home from work until almost 8, so we just want to collapse.Timmys - pugs generally have breathing problems at some point in their lives, but it's primarily because of the snout. If the rescue doggie has a longer snout, it shouldn't be much of an issue. I will warn you though, pugs are extremely stubborn and mine was very difficult to train. My cousin has pugs as well and has said the same thing about her two. They take a lot of work. But, on the upside, they're the most adorable dogs ever :)
  • Nebb, he is super muscular! He definitely could have been a show dog...that's exactly the build they're looking for. Molly has a similar build, but her head circumfrance (sp?) is much smaller than a normal pug. Who knows why, but she's sort of goofy looking as a result. :)
  • NebbNebb member
    My pug still wants Vogts for his girlfriend. I want that pug.
  • i feel like there is a lot of diversity in pugs that i see.  size differences, color differences, head sizes.  i have no clue what a proper pug looks like.  i'm sure this is because of years of bad breeding and the problem just gets worse!
  • we want a pug--even if it's stubborn--becuase i can't think of any other dog that will go rounds and rounds of play with my puppy like a pug will.  murray always prefers to play with the pugs at the dog park and it seem the pugs are the only ones who will tolerate his incessant demands for play!
  • Nebb's is pretty much what a fawn one should look like. Most pugs are extremely overweight because that's how people think they should look. Fat pugs are cute, but it causes even more breathing issues and hip issues later in life. Their little legs weren't meant to support 25-30 pounds of weight.
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    Nebb - I can believe it! My best friend has two pugs; Charlie from a breeder and Dexter from a rescue. Your guy has an even better face than Charlie does and I always thought he was the cutest pug on the planet. Dexter (rescue pug) is a hot mess with a wonky eye and everything, but he's still so cute. He just had a hard life.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Pugs are super tolerant dogs, from everything I can tell. They play nicely with children (and put up with their torment), they like to cuddle, and they can stand up to bigger dogs/animals.Mine seriously wrangles our cows. She brings them in for their feeding, she keeps them away from the fence line, she's brought them back in after they've jumped our fences. It's hilarious to see a 500 pound calf "obeying" my 18 pound pug. :)
  • vogt, that's so funny about your dog wrangling the cows!poor poor fat pugs.  maybe their owners worry about them overheating so they don't properly exercise them.or they just overfeed them.  my MIL overfeeds her cat and she said that she would give the cat a little extra food in the winter because it was so cold and she thought the cat needed some extra fat to keep warm.but then the cat doesn't exercise and lose it over the summer, so it just keep getting fat.  finally the vet told her that cat would eventually not be able to move or clean itself if she kept it up--so she's finally supposedly stopped overfeeding...i dont know if i believe her!
  • I think it's a combo.Most pugs will eat forever if people free feed them. That's part of the problem...weight management.The other thing is, when pugs play a lot, they do the grunting/heavy breathing thing. I think that stops people from really exercising them. That's why Molly is so fit - we put her out in the pasture for at least 2 hours a night and she runs non-stop. Granted, I have a different situation than someone in the city would, but still. Dogs love to run, they should be able to as long as they're not overheated/dehydrated/exhausted.
  • NebbNebb member
    I got distracted by pineapple express...My pug is actually apricot. You cant tell normally but in the summer he turns almost an orange - ginger type of color. We play with him a lot - chasing, running around, when he gets riled up he runs back and forth and back and forth at an extremely fast pace. He is a very active dog, which i think is good for him. We dont give him a lot of human food besides vegetables, he loves them. I have heard bad things about overweight pugs so we try not to let him get to that point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards