Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Kids & Cell Phones

I see them younger and younger with phones. Discuss.

Re: Kids & Cell Phones

• edited December 2011
    i dont get it. i understand there is a convenience to it, especially for parents, but everyone did survive before the invention of the cellphone. i got my first cellphone when i was 21 and could pay for it myself.
  • ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Disney phone, that has a password where only parents can plug numbers into phone, and only children can call people that are programed = good and safe. You really just never know. Everything else - disagree. What happened to game boy?
  • edited December 2011
    What happened to game boy?Um, wtf does this have to do with kids having cell phones?
  • CA2PABride2BeCA2PABride2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG I'm a preschool teacher and I've had kids come in with cell phones!!  They don't even understand the concept of numbers, yet they have a cell phone for some reason!  And to top it off, I work in Head Start, so most of my parents can't afford to keep their own phone lines open when I need to get  a hold of them - but their 3 & 4yr olds have cell phones. 
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    183 image 128 image 55 image 0 image RSVP Date: June 4, 2010
  • ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    13 year old FSIL got the iphone for the apps - the games on it etc. Not because she needed a PDA for work, and the outlook functions are beneficial. I find it rediculous that children have 100+ phone bills monthly, for a 300 dollar gadget. Not to mention, you have no idea what they are doing on there. This takes cell phone's to the extreme, so my bigger problem I suppose, is children with these high tech phones being used for gaming/entertainment.
  • MCH77MCH77 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My little sister got one in middle school.  She played sports/band and there no pay phones around the school to call for pick up.  So they gave her a cell phone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    This is a major source of discussion in my bf's household. BF's ex told their 12 year old that she could get a cell phone- BF said she wasn't ready (he has primary permanent custody of them, and has for YEARS.) BF's ex got one for her anyway. We set ground rules for the phone at his house (not taken to school, no texting, only talking to family, etc.) Phone got abused, and some random guy mistakenly dialed the number and now knows its a 12 year old girl, kept calling. So BF told her she couldn't bring it back home after taking it back to her mom's and she was to tell her mom that she wasn't ready (or responsible) enough for it. Instead of her mom actually realizing she wasn't ready, she blocked his number from his daughter's phone. I didn't have a cell phone until I graduated college, and it took a while for me to be completely responsible for it.  Not sure how kids are able to be responsible for it now.
  • meganjane86meganjane86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't stand this... my cousins are 13 and 11 and the older one has had a cell phone for a while.  I understand the reasoning behind it- they can track the phone, she can call for a ride or for help, etc.  But I think it's a lot of responsibility for a young teenager to have, especially now that you can take photos and videos with your cell and send them to whoever.  My FI and I have talked about this with regards to when we have children (because God knows what kids will expect to have by that time) and we both feel that until our kids are driving, there's no reason to have anything more than that disney phone described above. Also, our kids will not be allowed to use the internet unless supervised by a parent until they're in high school-- and even then they will be in a common room with parental locks. I'm sure other teachers can attest to how much harm the internet has done in terms of grammar, spelling, and the inability of using actual books as sources of information.
  • edited December 2011
    speaking along those lines, BF's kids don't get judged anymore on SPELLING because most word processing systems have spellcheck.  Looking at one of their papers that they actually turned in and got a good grade on was painful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards