Connecticut

8 months of planning down the drain: G. Fox is dreadful

Hi all, So an update after the issue with the wine service at G. Fox. I was dumped. Yes, dumped. Monday I received an e-mail from Jessica saying "this is just not going to work out." I then proceeded to cry most of the afternoon.We had revised the contract to our satisfaction and we were ready to send the deposit. But now because I ask too many questions and want to be clear on what I am getting before I sign a contract, I am difficult and they "will never be able to please me." Really? I think I am one of the most laid back people you will ever meet. I think you might not be too bright and make up for your failings by saying other people are difficult. Or you have very rapidly cycling bipolar. Or you just don't care about your business. Or your just an idiot, but I suppose I repeat myself.More reflective perspective--looks like we really dodged a bullet here. This would have been horrible planning with Jessica for the next year. She is the only coordinator and there is no GM right now to keep her in check (hmm, wonder why he left).My final advice to all of you knotties looking for venues- avoid the G. Fox. It is not worth the hassle. This saturday we are meeting with all the places we had on our old list... Old State House, The Society Room, Ann Howard at the Bond, and The Pond House. If anyone wants to pipe up on advice about other places in the area, I would appreciate it. Prefer downtown, but willing to consider something close to it. I am just really disappointed I spent so much time working with G. Fox and planning my vision in that setting. Thank goodness we didn't lose any money, just a little heartbreak.

Re: 8 months of planning down the drain: G. Fox is dreadful

• Erin&MikeyErin&Mikey member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow!  That is ridiculous!  I guess on a positive note, be glad you didn't' book your wedding with them.  You have plenty of time to find another venue.  GL!
  • edited December 2011
    So sorry you went through this.  But as you and the pp said, better now when there is time for you to regroup and pick a fabulous new location. I don't have much experience with most of your list.  However, my FI and I looked into the Pond House for our wedding this October.  We ended up choosing the Riverview.  The Pond House definitely offers a little more of a unique site.  However, we were not thrilled with where the bar would be set up (kind of in the foyer/entrance) and the fact that they only will serve wine and beer.  We had decided to have a full open bar. We also have a large guest list (over 220) and we were concerned with the parking situation for the Pond House.  Both FI and I liked it and would love to attend a wedding there.  It just didn't work for our needs. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oooh man that sux! I am so sorry! But you are so right.. you wouldn't have been working with someone who's right for your visions and needs plus you didn't lose any money! You'll look back on this and be so happy with whatever you choose to do instead. GL and Happy Planning! :0)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry things didn't work out, it just means it wasn't meant to be! I've heard wonderful things about The Society Room and Ann Howard. We looked at the Pond House but they are picky about time frames and alcohol restrictions. Best of Luck!
  • Sabina1313Sabina1313 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ann Howard is gorgeous!  I wasn't 100% thrilled with the food but the ambiance and the service was fantastic for the wedding I attended there.  It's a really great site :)  The food wasn't horrible or anything, just not the best I've had a wedding I'd say
  • SweetSimaSweetSima member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love love love the society room.  Absolutely beautiful.  Definitely check it out!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • JBDamonMJBDamonM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm floored...   I wish I read all of these posts earlier.... I JUST got married there (7-11) and it was FABULOUS!!! I would've loved to have helped you or shed insight, but looks like I'm too late :( This makes me sad too b/c it really was a great venue....  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • CTbride79CTbride79 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear about your venue troubles :-(  At least you still have some time to book a new venue, and you didn't lose any money.  Good luck! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dx w/PCOS 3/2011 | BFP 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12
    Dx w/IUGR 1/31/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image image
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I looked at the The Bond first and settled on another location but the Bond is gorgeous and they were very helpful there when we visited. GL!
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ugh that is HORRIBLE!!!!! i think my ex-caterer and your ex-planner might be related! that is pretty much the same BS line i got when i tried to get details from the guy. you are better off giving your money to other people!! i have friends doing theirs at the Old State House, and then their reception at the Hartford Club. (not sure if HC is private or not...). either way, they said the people at the Old State House were amazingly helpful and very very nice. i've heard great things about the Bond, as well. how many people are you thinking of? some of the other hotels/restaurants downtown may be able to accommodate you (like i know Trumbull Kitchen has that loft, i just don't know what their max is...) Pond House is gorgeous, but also very public. i've seen so many ceremonies done in the gardens and i just feel like having people meandering around your ceremony can get a bit annoying...just a thought!
  • curiousfoolcuriousfool member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh geeze. I'm really sorry. We looking into everything on your list but the Bond. Ultimately we went with the Hartford Town & County Club- but as it is a private club, you'll need a sponsor if you want to consider it. Fortunately for us, one of our guests is a member and got us in . . . That said, here's my two cents. We looked into the Pond House. Honestly, if food is your top priority, you're probably going to get the best food at the Pond House. Their cook staff is incredible, and I've never been disappointed in the food in the 8 years I've gone there (brunch, especially, is delicious). Like other pp's have mentioned, you are only allowed to serve beer and wine (which you have to bring in on your own or use The Pour Guys, as PH doesn't have its own liquor license). There were two big sticking points for us that ultimately made us decide on a different venue. 1) PH DOES book 2 weddings per saturday. One from 12-5, the other from 5:30-10. It was important to me to have a venue I could access all day. If you're the second wedding, you can't even begin to set up till the first one is out of the way, which was cutting it too close for me. 2) You must clear out BY 10pm. By city ordinance, no noise in the part after 10, so that's it. FI and I wanted an evening wedding, and we would have been wasting our money at the PH. I will say, though, Elizabeth Park is absolutely gorgeous!!! Oh- as for the Old State House- you have to rent absolutely everything, as the only thing the rental fee provides is access to the room. We loved the look of the society room, but it was out of our price range by quite a long shot.
  • michellest21michellest21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am very sorry to hear of your experience....However are you difficult to deal with.The reason i ask is because i am getting married there in a few short days and they have been wonderful i have not had any problems with them whatsoever. So I do not want anyone to read this post and discredit g-fox. The food is absolulty fabulous the setting is amazing and the staff is over the top helpful. I am sorry that you had a bad experience but, i think it is just your experience....
  • JBDamonMJBDamonM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Michelle - I could not have said it better myself! I had my wedding there July 11th and it was FANTASTIC!I feel the same way - I'd hate to see people write them off because of this post which all boils down to wine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    It's tough, but in this economy sometimes vendors will bend over backwards to try to make people happy, but after they do the math on a project they realize that they will not be making a profit on an event and have to back away. Personality conficts are the worst though so perhaps you did dodge a bullet.
  • wentzelkwentzelk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi all....First of all, thank you for all the kind words and help! A whirlwind tour of venues left on our list on Saturday. Fell in love with the Society Room and were able to negotiate quite a deal for a Saturday PM in August. Reviewing the contract now and honestly, I think I have now learned it is industry standard to have a horrible contract! It seems quite ridiculous to not even have a hold harmless clause (the we won't sue you if you injure yourself on the property, like on the back of a ski ticket), but if that is how you want to do business, fine with me! In such a litigious society I would think people would want much more detailed contracts.But, just like we wanted with G Fox, we are adding an addendum of the package that explains exactly what we are getting for our money.  Very reasonable approach to doing business and the Society Room welcomes it. So nice to finally have someone willing to work with us, instead of just telling us we owe them money and not giving us details of what we are getting for said money!Thank you all again!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh I see what you are talking about now. It is both advanvages to the venue and the bride to have a detailed list!!  I don't know how many times I've talked to a bride months or a year before the event and then have no recollection (100 wedding later) what we decided on. That said a detailed list always saved the day by not only jogging my memory and knowing what the bride was expecting.  Also honestly I've heard mixed reviews at your first venue all about personnel. It's rather new and I haven't been there but to walk by it looked nice but who needs the stress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards