Catholic Weddings

Invitation wording question

My fiance' and I are paying for the wedding along with some hep from both of our parents. Can someone look over the wording for me and make sure it's ok?

MR. & MRS. RANDALL ***** AND MR. & MRS. RONALD ****** REQUEST THE HONOR OF YOUR PRESENCE AT THE NUPTIAL MASS AT WHICH sarah lynn ********** and ronald anthony ******* WILL BE JOINED IN THE SACRAMENT OF HOLY MATRIMONY SATURDAY, THE THIRTEENTH OF OCTOBER TWO THOUSAND TWELVE AT TWO THIRTY IN THE AFTERNOON ST. ROBERT BELLARMINE PARISH 4646 NORTH AUSTIN AVENUE CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60630
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Invitation wording question

• I think my only suggestion is, could you make it "At the nuptial mass uniting ______________ in the sacrament of holy matrimony"?
    Anniversary

• "Half after two in the afternoon" would be a little more formal, if you want that.

I don't believe it's necessary for you to include your and your FI's last names, since they've been included with your parents. 

We used a similar wording, but (I can't remember why, but there may have been a reason,) we said, "at the nuptial mass in which their children..." (which would make the wording of having your last names, as I mentioned above, a bit more redundant, so perhaps if you don't have "their children," then it would be more appropriate to keep your last names.)
    Anniversary
  • we did:
    names
    request the honor of your presence at their marriage in the sacrament of holy matrimony and the celebration of the nuptial mass

the mass does not unite you.  rather, it is said in your honor so that you receive graces and blessings for your marriage.  also, depending upon what type of mass it is, you arent even married during the mass.  we had a latin mass wedding - so we were actually married first, then the mass started. 
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_invitation-wording-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:3366c8b1-e41d-434e-ada7-f0eeb4920cd8Post:daaa1c2f-daa7-42d0-b99a-59844d22dec6">Re: Invitation wording question</a>:
    [QUOTE]we did: names request the honor of your presence at their marriage in the sacrament of holy matrimony and the celebration of the nuptial mass the mass does not unite you.  rather, it is said in your honor so that you receive graces and blessings for your marriage.  also, depending upon what type of mass it is, you arent even married during the mass.  we had a latin mass wedding - so we were actually married first, then the mass started. 
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback...but being a newer Catholic maybe I am wrong but I thought recieving the sacrament of holy matrimony is done during a mass because it is a sacrament. please correct me if I am wrong, I am genuinely curious
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you everyone for the feedback!! This is very helpful!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, you can receive the sacrament outside of mass. Typically this is done if one of you isn't Catholic, but you can have two Catholics that have a ceremony outside of mass. If you are having mass, then the sacrament of matrimony is typically during the mass (unless, like Calypso said, you are doing a Traditional Latin Mass in which case the Sacrament happens immediately, with mass following).

I don't think it's a big deal to use different wording that might not be perfectly, technically right. As long as you aren't mentioning mass when you aren't having one!
  • Thank you Riss!! We are both Catholic so we will be having a mass, and receiving the sacrament during the mass. Which wording would be technically correct then?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • well technically, the sacrament isn't uniting you, you are receiving it from and giving it each other. if you want to use the word "united" or "joined" you could say "as they are united/joined in marriage at the sacrament of holy matrimony and the celebration of the nuptial mass"
  • We put
    at the nuptial mass uniting __________________ in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony. That is the traditional Catholic wording.
  • We put
    at the nuptial mass uniting __________________ in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony. That is the traditional Catholic wording.

no, its actually not the traditional wording, because the mass doesnt unite you.  its incorrect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards