Ohio-Cincinnati

NWR: Migraines

Anyone that knows me knows I get migraines REALLY bad.  I started taking a new daily medicine maybe two months or more ago that has been working really well.  Unfortunately, I usually get them pretty often right before and during my period.  This month they have been really bad.  I have an immediate relief medicine, but I'm only allowed 9 pills every 30 days and I'm almost through my newest refill.  Nothing over the counter works.  I had one again this morning and took my immediate relief medicine and was okay.  I never felt like it fully went away.  And now I have another one.In a long round-about way, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on some relief.  Like I said, nothing otc works for me when I get migraines.  An ice pack helps, but my head feels like its going to blow up.  I'm in so much pain.  Its just frustrating.  Sometimes being a girl stinks.  :)  I guess that turned into more of a vent than anything.  Sorry!  Thanks girls!

Re: NWR: Migraines

• stosha1stosha1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I read somewhere that acupuncture can help with migraines.... might be worth a shot. I know the TriHealth Pavilion offers acupuncture without a doctors referral. GL and sorry you have to deal with that!
  • mjc468mjc468 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I take excedrin migraine, well this past time I got the target brand. directions state to only take 2 every 24hours. It works great for me, my co-worker had a bad migraine today, she took 2 of the pills and said it relieved the pressure and she was going to store after work.Have you tried this before?
  • edited December 2011
    I feel the same way.  I know that my neur. doctor told me to take two advil or anything like that with either my imitrex or relpax to make it more effective and work faster.  And for preventing them I'm on med. but it has horrible side effects, so I can't take it like I'm supposed to so I don't know how to prevent them.  Good luck! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Unfortunately I can't take Excedrin b/c it has aspirin in it.  It makes my stomach really sick and I also noticed that it seemed to make my headaches worse.  I have tried everything from Pamprin, Tylenol, Advil, about 10 different daily preventatives that have been prescribed over the years, Imitrex, some other one that begins w/ an A, Maxalt.  You name it, I have probably tried it.  hehe  The only thing that seems to work pretty well for me is Relpax when it comes to immediate relief.  The thing that sucks is that I have had a migraine every single day this week and it doesn't seem to be doing anything but dulling the pain.  Sigh.  Its just really frustrating.  I would never wish this kind of pain on anyone!
  • tia0314tia0314 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Teresa, I'm so sorry you're having issues with your migraines. I can't imagine how frustrating it is. Did you tell your DR about gatting them badly when you get your period? Maybe he can suggest something. Do you know why you only get 9 of the immediate relief pills a month? I can't help but I would say keep talking to you doctor.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • edited December 2011
    I actually see a neurologist for my migraines b/c they have gotten so bad over the past 8 years.  We have tried dozens of preventative and immediate relief medications, but nothing really seems to work.  Every once in awhile I would try an immediate relief one that would work the first few migraines I would get, and that would be about it.  She knows that I get them really bad when I'm on my period, but she says that its normal for some women.  Honestly, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, since FI and I don't ever want kids, I asked if taking those parts out would fix this problem, and she said no.I can only get 9 pills of the immediate relief stuff b/c that's what the insurance company allows.  I'm actually not 100% sure why they do that, either.  I'm sure that Carrie knows.  :)  This isn't the only immediate relief medicine I have been on that is like that, either.  There are quite a few of them that are that way.I guess I'm going to have to look into something else for the time being.  I have been given some information on another type of treatment, so I'm going to look into it some more.  It stinks being in so much pain, though.  Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, ladies.  You are all so wonderful!!
  • gianfavlgianfavl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you on a birth control pill? When I was on the pill I got horrible migraines, just like you right before and during menstruation. I was prescribed a medication that is to help with it, but it was soooo super expensive and only got a few pills at a time too. I used Excedrin Migraine for the longest time and that sometimes helped, but not always. As soon as I got off the pill, the headaches disappeared.
    imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Might sound odd but I heard sex is supposed to help relief migraine pain, I saw a special of it on 20/20 or one of those news magazine shows, apparently the release of endorphins really helps relieve the pain. if its really bad might be worth a shot. If not, in college when I had a migraine I used to use that Head On stuff and then took some nyquil to knock myself out, probably not that healthy but it seemed to work. Hope you feel better.
  • edited December 2011
    I used to have major problems with them and the Rx medicine would help for a few hours, but then they would be back.  In the long run I was taking way more medicine than I was comfortable with.  The combo that seems to have helped me is:1. Getting an IUD.  I feel a lot of my problems were caused by hormones from the pill, even the low dose ones that were supposed to work for people with hormonal migraines.2. Chiropractor visits/ massages. I can always feel mine coming on in my neck before they become a full blown migraine.  My neck curves different than what it should, so adjustments and massaging help to get the muscles.relaxed.3. No caffeine, lots of water.  I try to get about a gallon a day.  Migraines are def. more prominent when I am not getting much water.  Chugging 32 oz of pedialyte, gatorade, etc when starting to feel an onset of a migraine when I know I haven't been getting enough fluids helps.4. Naproxen.  Of all the expensive, "heavy"Rx's I've tried, good ol' Naproxen seems to work the best.  A lot of the Rxs the dr's had me try made me feel drunk and clumsy.  I def. shouldn't have driven while taking them.  Naproxen does the best at dulling the pain without causing any crazy side effects.  Hope that helps.
  • AMBN0102AMBN0102 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I get horrible migraines, and I have been trying to find medicine that will work for many years now. I unfortunately have had no luck. It is very very frustrating. I just know there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel.  I have scheduled an appt with a new neurologist so wish me luck.  I know this sounds stupid, but I am soo paranoid that I will get a migraine on the day of my wedding and it will just be ruined. Anyways I wish you luck, and if I do end up finding something that works I will be sure to let you know/vise versa.
  • edited December 2011
    amb - I know exactly where you are coming from.  Now that our wedding is only a little over 2 months away, I'm afraid that I will be suffering the day of the wedding with a bad migraine that I can't get rid of.  I'm not exactly a week into the same pattern.  I had to call off work today b/c the pain is just too intense.  I was to the point of gagging b/c it hurt so badly.I really hope that you do find some success w/ the new neuro.  Def keep your options open.  I, just like you, have tried sooo many different medications and I just KNOW there has to be something out that will work.  Its just going to take some time to find it.  GL and keep me posted on your progress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards