Ohio-Northeast

Birth Control.....

Ive been on it for 7 years now.... I just changed my health insurance since I just finished college up in May Since I got kicked off my parents insurance.... My new insurance says that for my first medication I get I have to pay $100 for it and then it goes to $40 after that... which before I was only paying $11 a month! So I know I have a year til my wedding.... but I know I can be careful (its really only one week out of the month you can get pregnant anyway) and Im sick of wasting all that money! But my question is for those of you that were on it and then got off... what were your side effects? did your monthy friend stay regular? Last week was my last on it. Already told my fiance that I wanted to do this.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
Anniversary

Re: Birth Control.....

• edited December 2011
    you couldn't pay me enough to go off BC again. I stopped when we lost our insurance & it was awful; my face broke out, mood swings (I'd be throwing things one minute, crying the next), I was nauseous (to the point that I took 2 POS b/c I swore it was morning sickness), the cramps during my period were horrendous, the wk before, during, & after my period my breasts swelled & were so tender I had to sleep in TWO bras.I would recommend going to planned parenthood, that's what I ended up doing & got BC for $15/month.
    Wallace is a big brother!
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • dcunningham2dcunningham2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're quitting birth control because of the cost, I would consider the costs if you happened to get pregnant ~ babies are MUCH more expensive than $40/month. And to me, that price isn't that bad, I was paying $65/month for my Yaz.You should check out mail-order prescriptions, I hear they're much cheaper than going to the pharmacy. You just have to have your doctor write a 90-day prescription, but my friend was paying $20 for 3 months' worth of pills. I was going to research this, but then we decided to try to conceive, so I stopped taking them altogether.HTH!
    imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went off hormonal BC because I was having some health issues associated with it. But for many years before I was on hormonal bc. My periods are regular and I feel 100% better now that I am off of that stuff. Everyone will adjust to going off BC in a different way. These days we are preventing with non-hormonal methods. If it were me I would not completely go off birth control until FI and I were ready to conceive. Condoms are effective and inexpensive.Anyways, I have been to planned parenthood a couple times in the past when I was having some probs with my insurance company and they will see people who have insurance and a steady income. I went to the branch in Rocky River and Cleveland. Both were nice facilities and I liked the care I received there better than my OB/GYN! Another plus is the hormonal BC is a lot less expensive.
  • Ange1023Ange1023 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered an IUD? One time implantation and it can last up to 10 years. I have friends (one is a med student) on the IUD and they love it. This is an interesting article about IUDs. They remain incredibly popular in Europe as birth control. http://www.slate.com/id/2223840/ Mirena is one of the brands available in the US.
  • michelle1433michelle1433 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you check with your gyno to see if they give samples? My doctor does and I haven't had to pay for my pill for years. Maybe they can just give you a 1-2 month supply to get you by.Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Its not even just the price- I actually do want to get off of it! being that ive been on it for 7 years straight- that already makes me nervous because who knows what affects this will have on my body in the long run. Plus I do want to get pregnant right away after the wedding. I know a couple of my friends were in long relationships as I and werent on BC at all and never had an "accidental" pregnancy. So I feel as long as im careful and just watch during ovulation week, i should be fine. I just hope that I actually stay regular like I was when I was on BC. And I never really had any cramps or moodiness before I got on it. So i dont think I will have that probelm hopefully.

Anniversary
  • jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck to you with whatever you decide. I think that if you don't use some kind of birth control, hormonal or other, you will have a baby before your wedding!
  • imkaleigh63imkaleigh63 member
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree with the pp.....I wouldn't tempt fate on this one.  Also, if you remain on The Pill you can regulate WHEN you get your period by re-arranging the order.  This makes for a better wedding AND honeymoon.
  • TBHCJSTBHCJS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my advice would be to at least stay on it until the wedding. i was concerned about getting pg beforehand and i was ON bc. with your wedding still over a year away, it'd be a tough thing to swallow if you end up pg before. it would definitely change the dynamics of the wedding. and you never know, over the course of the next year, you may decide you want some married time sans baby.
  • SeannonSeannon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would wait... you can get pregnant outside the one week out of a month window... My oldest and my current pregnancy... so whatever you do...be careful...
  • edited December 2011
    Ummm... do you really think you can only get pregnant 1 week out of the month?!?!  Newsflash::::::  it can happen any time!!!  Just because your friends didn't get pregnant doesn't mean you won't!!
  • edited December 2011
    You only ovulate once a month- which is the only time you can get pregnant.day 1-7 is your period day 7-14 is when you have to watch cause thats when your ovulating. Thats why ppl time their ovulation when they want to get pregnant.

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I know you ovulate only once a month, but that is the time you are most likely to get pregnant... not the only time you can get pregnant.  Just don't be naive- with your wedding that far away you might want to think of a bc backup plan!
  • edited December 2011
    Please, please, please read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility before you go without any sort of contraception.  Your comments about ovulating days 7-14 display an astounding lack of comprehension about how different the situations can be for different women.  You've been on the pill for 7 years.  You have no idea when you ovulate, because you haven't ovulated for 7 years.  If you really would like to go all natural in preventing pregnancy, read TCOYF so you can learn about NFP/FAM (fertility friend is also a good website for this) and learn to track when your body ovulates.  Assuming it happens between days 7 and 14 (what if you have a 40-day cycle, you could, you have had a forced 28-day cycle, due to the pill, for the past 7 years) is a recipe for an unexpected pregnancy. I'm not trying to be snarky at all.  I just couldn't stand by and watch you get pregnant based on your lack of understanding of how the body works.
  • edited December 2011
    Ive just been sick of being on it.... My mom being old school has also always wanted me off of it because she doesnt know what might happen to my body. and its not like im not going to be using protection. and yes I was going to keep track of my days to track my ovulating days... (there was a website I was on years ago)

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Your followup reassures me.  I wasn't sure you were using a backup, and I wasn't at all sure you understood that ovulation can vary vastly from woman to woman.  I definitely understand wanting to go the non-hormonal route and preferring not to be on the pill for that reason.  I have an IUD rather than be on the pill.Good luck!
  • snj2009snj2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My tubes are tied - I did things in reverse..... 3 kids and NOW am planning my wedding.  Let this serve as an example - dont do it the way I did, lol.
  • HAMOHAMO member
    edited December 2011
    just live by this msn calendar and extend a few extra days on each side.... there are also tips to know when your body is ovulatinghttp://health.msn.com/pregnancy/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100105420
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards