Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

What I'm going to do now.-Vent Long

I don't post on here to much more of a lurker. But I see were ya'll vent and so I had to, because I am about in tears. My FI's wonderful company Verizon-not wireless, the guys union contracts are coming up, well FI hasn't had his meeting yet but has heard form somone's else's meeting that they are cutting back insurance and vacation, and he might strike. Now, I don't know the whole thing so if you work for Verizon or no someone who does, like I said not for sure on the details but it doesn't look good for us. I mean really right before our 9-26-09 wedding. The invites are out and what am I suppose to do now, I have money put back, but I can't justify spending that on a wedding if he strikes, plus we have a 2 yr old.  I have waited all my life for this and we have put of getting married sooner for money and his dad had cancer. If it is not one thing it is another. And I am doing alot of this myself decorations, planning,but I could do a finger foods, but I already put dinner and dance on the invite.  I am sooooo stressed out. Thanks for the vent.

Re: What I'm going to do now.-Vent Long

• juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad used to work for AT&T and we went through several strikes.  Lots of companies are cutting some benefits but you'll still be better off than me (trust me, my benefits through the ISD suck).  This is going to sound bad, but, used to, CWA would provide strike insurance (a paycheck if you will) if the strike went over a certain amount of time.  Dad was on strike for six weeks twice in the mid 80s and both times made it to the insurance payments.  Not that I recommend this, but he can probably cross the picket line.  However, that could put him in a bad spot with his coworkers.  I went and picketed with my dad several times and he still remembers me yelling "Scab". 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you're having to go through all of this. Have you already paid for mostly everything? If that's the case, I would continue on with your plans and get married on the 26th.  Then I'd just wait to do any type of honeymoon. It's going to cost you a lot to cancel your vendors since the wedding is 6 weeks away. :(
    edited December 2011
    PS:  I'm sure if you had to change to finger foods, you could rely on both of your families to spread the word that there had to be some changes to the wedding.  People will understand.  And if they don't, then I have some very nice names to call them.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with juliebug, I think your families would be understanding and spread the word.I definitely also recommend going forward as you have already come this far. Considering the situation, maybe family members would be willing to pitch in and make dinner?   You can do things like lasagna or other pasta dishes very inexpensively.  Just throw in salad and bread and your good to go.
  • appletango85appletango85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lyndi is doing the pasta from Domino's because they come in tins and you can throw away the boxes and no one will know! Plus after you buy so many the price goes down and each pan comes with 5 breadsticks so you would be good..maybe just provide a salad to go with it.I hope things work out for you *hug*
  • danielle0789danielle0789 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sort of understand where your coming from. My MIL works for Bell helicopter, and she was out of work for about a month I think. She recently went back because she crossed the picket line. People are mean..deflating your tires on your car, grafitti-ing it, calling you a scab, etc. But he has to do whats best for your family, even if that means crossing the picket line. So dont worry about what other people think. Your wedding will be spectacular, so dont stress over the small stuff! Like PP said, you could do a pasta and breadsticks from Dominos or Pizza hut, and just throw away the tins! Like she said, nobody will ever know! Anyway, I hope things work out! Your wedding is going to be BEAUTIFUL! So take a day and relax! Dont do any wedding stuff! HTH!
  • branch07branch07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ya'll. I have dealt with the strike thing before with my dad he was on strike a hole summer back when I was in MS, he's a welder, it was good to have a inion sometimes. But now they have contracturs wait for when they go on strike , and if he does they could just say ok your laid off or fired. He has been with them for 10 yrs and it is a realy good job. Just some of his union brothers a greedy, I think and want more when they already have it good. I am having the wedding at the in-laws house in the backyard. And actually my only real problem is the food, we were just getting BBQ catered, but my DJ I did put a depsoit down and photography, but they are friends who would understand, I just don't want to be selfish and use the money, if we might need it to pay bills. But we have had the talk about crossing the picket line, and he says it could get bad, like the harass you or key your cars, but I have already told him if they do anythign to us, it would be all over the news of some crazy woman attacking a picket line, I don't like threats. I mean really, some people still need to get paid to live and put food on the tables for their family.  The union sucks on this part because he might get paid only $100 a week while on strike, seriously he pays more in dues for that stupid union, and they should save that and give it back to him.
    edited December 2011
    PS:  I was very young when I yelled "scab" and didn't really understand it.  My dad and I have had several disagreements about people crossing the lines.  If you're really in need then your co-workers should be understanding. 
  • branch07branch07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    juliebug- I totally understand, I would have done the same thing when I was little with my dad. Everyone should have an opinion and it is a pasionate subject with us. I call them idiots soemtime, but then they shouldn't judge the choices you have to make for your family. And that is what ticks me off. We have one friend who is getting laid off with a new baby on the way and new house being built. So he dropped out of the union to have $ in his pocket from  the dues right? Well his fellow union brothers turned their back on him and want talk to him and avoid him. Really! These are grown men and my 2 yr old acts better than them. Our friends valid point was why should I still be paying for dues when the union didn't help me save my job and I still got laid off.
  • edited December 2011
    ...because she crossed the picket line. People are mean..deflating your tires on your car, grafitti-ing it, calling you a scab, etcThis is just ridiculous.  Hang in there...it will all work out.
    edited December 2011
    The same thing happens at another local company.  They use intimidation tactics to get you to join the union.  They can be a great asset but not always the best of people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards