Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Single Envelope Invites

OK girls.  I need some help!!  I know this was a posted topic before but I forget exactly what the correct thing to do is. I just picked up my wedding invitations, only now realizing that they come with a single envelope.  There is no way that they can order extra envelopes to be outside envelopes bc it's a special order and I would need to order like 1000 ( and I do not need that many!)So now I am wondering...how do I address these envelopes? Especially when I have a couple of cousins in one household??  And for those that are bringing guests??Any advice you all may offer will be greatly appreciated!  TIA!!!

Re: Single Envelope Invites

• Options
    slappy985slappy985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Single envelope invites are very common now a days. You could also go to an envelopes website and order another color for your outside envelope. Many websites sell envelopes and they are great quality and you don't have to order 1000. good luck
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our invitations are single envelope only also. Each person over the age of 18 should get a separate invitation (even if they live at the same address). However, couples who are not married that live at the same address are sent one invitation with both names on the invitation (woman's name on the first line, man's name on the second line). For couples in exclusive relationships that do not live at the same address, we sent one invitation addressed to both (woman's name on the first line, man's name on the second line) at the address of the person we know best. For people that are not sure which guest they are bringing, some say it is ok to just address the invitation to "John Doe and Guest". However, I have read that the correct thing to do is address the invitation to "John Doe" and include a hand written note letting John know it is ok to bring a guest. We do not have many people who will get an "and guest" invitation, so we just included the hand written notes. The only children at our wedding will be the junior bridesmaids. These are addressed "Mr. and Mrs. John Doe" on the first line and the children's first names in birth order on the second line. Hope this helps. It does get a little tricky with one envelope. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i have the same issue and i want to keep with the traditional way of addressing the outer envelope and the inner one, so here is my solution.  I will stick to addressing the outer envelope according to traditional ettiquette, but the inner envelope I am getting creative.  I am taking a 2-3" strip of cardstock and folding it over the invite (almost like you would wrap a ribbon around it).  i am going to seal it with our monogram sticker and write directly on the cardstock strip what i would have written on an inner envelope.  you can also hold the cardstock together with a wax seal or something.  it is something to get creative with and different and fun.  good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards