New York-Long Island

budgets?

Hi - I usually post on the November board. But, I'm not sure where everyone over there is from. I've seen some posts about budgets, and I'm beginning to feel like I'm having a Platinum wedding, when I don't think I really am! Maybe it's just the area, but people are quoting their whole weddings at $10K or less... but my band and my photographer are about $10K each... and the catering will be 4 or 5 times that. Then there's the dress, the rehearsal dinner, the invites, the list goes on. Am I a diva and don't even know it. Are you guys in the same area budgetwise?

Re: budgets?

• edited December 2011
    I got that feeling a bit too. On other boards I see people talking about their weddings say their whole wedding would only cost like 10k-15k. I thought the same thing, I really do not know maybe it is because prices for just about everything in NY/Long Island are higher. I wanted to have a budget but that went out the window. When it is all said and done I think I will qualify for the platinum wedding too. I went to numerous vendors to get prices and they were all high. I did encounter some cheapier places but when I read reviews about them - I understood why they were so cheap. I totally believe in the saying you get what you pay for. My vendors alone (photographer/videographer, dj, limos & flowers) are costing $18k. My venue is costing upwards of $40K - and thats including everything for 300 guests. And thats not including dress, accessories, invites, favors, gifts - and any other expense. Don't feel like your alone :) My wallets feeling it too. Your not at all a Diva! I think it is just because of where we live. But in the end every penny will be worth it because you will have a spectacular wedding and tons of memories. :) Good Luck!
    BFP #1 - 10/10/11, 1st U/S 12/5/11 @ 8w, BO discovered, d&c 12/9/11. HCG @ 0 - 1/4/11.
    BFP #2 - 04/04/12, 1st Beta @ 9DPO 19, 2nd Beta @ 13 DPO 168. 1st u/s - 4/30/12 - we have a heartbeat!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    image * * PGAL/PAL/TTCAL Always Welcome! * *
  • edited December 2011
    Bonnie -  you also have to think these people you are seeing that are spending less than $10k probably don't have that big of guest list to start with.  No matter what venue you choose for your wedding, depending on what you pay per plate, that price is going to shoot straight up.Hey listen - it's your big day and if you can afford it, I say go for it!GL
  • alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    nope. things are just a lot less in most other places. most weddings around the country aren't like ours either...

• bonniebrettbonniebrett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, agreed. i don't feel like we're doing everything extravagent. we are having a sit down dinner, with a band, photographer, flowers. it's all the norm. a lot people elsewhere are doing cocktail receptions, or buffets... but still everything is soooo much cheaper. i was even talking to someone getting married in nj, and her cost for similar flowers was 60% of what mine was. oh well. my parents are happy to do it... just hope they have some money left over for my sister! =)
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies,Wedding planner and bride here, most weddings in New York tend to be on average about 40k.  With the economy that figure has gone down just a bit.  However, most weddings that I have done are above 60k.  Long Island/NYC are just expensive.  The 10k wedding is difficult here, really difficult but for those that can pull it off (and I am not talking about the 20 person restaurant wedding) but the full thing, kudos to you.
  • edited December 2011
    We are not doing anything over the top.  We have a guest list of 200 and a budget of 30K.  My mom is buying my dress so that is not included.   Just wondering if anyone looked into flowers yet and if so how much are you spending?People on the other boards range from 200-3000 so I have no idea what to expect.  I am meeting with 2 florists next week.
  • edited December 2011
    The cost of flowers depends on what you want.  I think when it comes to working with a florist you have two options.You can walk in and say I love this flower, this flower and this flower and what does that cost?  Keep in mind that the flowers you are talking about might not be in season, might have to come from Holland so you could be racking up big time flower costs.The second option is to go to the florist and say, I have this budget and my wedding colors are pink (or whatever) and then they can do seasonal flowers.It also depends on if you want high or low arrangements.  I think it would be safe to say that you could be in the 150-175 range per table arrangement if it is full and lush and your flowers you could be looking at 150-300.  Larger arrangements for say a mantle piece or to flank the ceremony maybe 600 and up. 
  • edited December 2011
    Our "budget" is around $40k-$50K in the end.  Who knows what we really are going to spend..we'd like to do less, but you never know...I'm glad someone else brought up the lower budget thing.  I always feel bad when people ask budget questions on boards and others are $6k - 15k range.  But true to PP that said its all about where you live.  Its difficult to do something less than $30k on LI and even worse upstate NY (I live by the Woodbury Commons only about an hr north of NYC and things were more expensive than LI)!! Nickymel: As far as flowers go...ours are going to be around going to be about $2500.  I'm getting them from a florist in Huntington, NY....Flowers by Burton.  As he said to us, he doesn't advertise...he only goes by word of mouth.  His stuff is gorgeous...his prices were awesome and I'm very excited.  We were recommended to him by a friend who got married on The Island in April, 2009 and they loved their flowers.  We are going to have all sorts of flowers...peonies, hydrangeas, lisianthus....tons....His prices are great. My sister got married in our home area (Woodbury area) and her flowers were twice mine...so the prices change drastically everywhere...but LI had decent pricing on flowers. Good luck!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for all the flower advice.  I am going to look into some of the names mentioned!  I am def using inseason flowers!!
  • edited December 2011
    I cringe when I see how inexpensive weddings are in other areas. Let's face it, we live in NY- the cost of living is much higher. Fortunately, most salaries are much higher, too. Like jiurato said, if you got it, go for it. I can guarantee that my photog and DJ are NOT going to be 10k each though. They won't even be 10k together.
  • stina11stina11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so happy that I am not the only one. I am on the Aug 2010 board and all the girls are DIYing like everything. I'm more like I rather pay for a lot of those things cause then I know they will come out right. Plus it will be more relaxing on the wedding day if I'm not worried about my centerpieces. As for flowers I just received a quote (from the florist we actually decided to use) it was $7500 but we wanted crazy stuff. Our photog, videog, and Dj come out together a little over 10k. My budget is high and I was starting to feel a lil crappy over it but I'm happy that more people are in my boat. Thanx
  • edited December 2011
    We are also using flowers by burton. John was amazing. We are only using them for the bouquets, corsages and church flowers. He gave us an AMAZING DEAL and we get to pick any flowers that we want. I didn't have to choose when we booked them back in February. They were also recommended to us by my friends sister who used them in November. They book quickly so I would call asap if you are interested. They also sell dresses upstairs. My friend's sister found the bridesmaid dresses they wanted for $60 cheaper there than at Bridal Reflections.
  • lm3898lm3898 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the high budget!!  I'm getting married in Montauk, NY in Sept. 2010 and we are already on our 3rd budget!  We really loved the MYC so we decided not to skimp with that, plus the hotel rooms (separate rooms!) for the 2-3 nights leading up to the wedding we wanted to be really nice.  Then we looked at how much we had left for EVERYTHING else...so far I found an awesome band and because of an odd twist  (I found out after the audition I know the lead singer's mom) we were able to get an amazing deal...I started looking early for deals too...I found my florist and signed with her two months ago after calling about 15, we just really clicked.  Plus, b/c of the expensive venue we will prob. find a photographer we totally loooove and not do video...of course I want a beautiful wedding, BUT I also want a wonderful honeymoon & a home some day & to not be in debt when I start my marriage...so with time & effort (though no DIY hopefully, I'm a lost cause) we will be able to stay under $50K...I feel like a bargainista with that budget wow...
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so glad to hear people talking about Burton's. My girlfriend used them 17 years ago and I loved them then. They did a lovely job. I'm plannng to call them myself if another vendor I used before does not get back to me. I'm also glad to hear they still have the same policy re: pick your flowers and they are still reasonable. Thanks, Ladies!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards