New York-Hudson Valley

Memorial Day Weekend Wedding?

What do you girls think of a Memorial Day weekend wedding (2010)?  I always thought it was common knowledge to avoid such holidays for several reasons-- inconvenient for your guests who have other plans-- vacations, parties, etc-- AND the issue of traffic, esp for out-of-town/non-local guests!  Some of the venues I've talked to say it's no big deal, and one of them said it would be "obnoxious" to pick that date.  I was a little put-off by that comment, but the guy said he was "being totally honest" about it, saying guests will think so but not want to say it.  Anyway I sort of felt that way myself to begin with.  What do you girls say?  Avoid it or go ahead, if that's the only day you're free (insane schedule) and the venue has open??

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Wedding?

• edited December 2011
    I am actually stuck with the same decision.  Our wedding will be on a Sunday, so I was thinking maybe a holiday weekend would be better so that people wouldn't have to go to work the next day and it would feel more like a Saturday.  I really don't want people leaving early/worrying about getting home for work on Monday.  Any other thoughts?
  • kittykat956kittykat956 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually went to a Memorial day weekend wedding this year. It really didn't even bother me at all. Actually it worked out better. We spent all day Saturday at her wedding and then Sunday we relaxed and left Monday to all the BBQs etc. It was great. I didn't feel like we lost a day or anything. It was great! I say go with it if it's the day you want or the only day you can use. Those who want to come are going to come no matter what day it is.
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding Memorial Day this year.  It didn't bother me at all.  We chose to do July 4th weekend (but on the 5th).  We knew we didn't have that many guests with steady vacation plans for that week.  Anytime in the summer there was the chance for people having vacation plans so we just tried to give ample warning.  Out of the people who couldn't come to the wedding, I think there were only like 3 couples who were away.  That being said, you know your guests best and if you think that they would have a problem with it then pick another weekend. 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the PP, you know your guests best, so you just have to try and guess how they will react.  Our wedding was on July 2, which was a Thursday.  The day after was the holiday for July 4 (since it was a Saturday this year) so most people had off, making it like a Friday night wedding.  We got a few comments, but not many, and everyone we really wanted to be there was.  It really worked out perfectly for us, and saved us a lot of money, but you have to know your crowd.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Just had one other thought.  This didn't happen for our wedding being on the Thursday, but when picking the date/day, just consider if it will be hard to find some vendors.  For example, if your wedding were actually ON Memorial Day itself, it might be hard to find a hair dresser, etc...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    See, now I feel better about it!  Thanks guys!!  I think a lot of people I'm inviting, since it will be pretty small (way under 100, prob less even than 60) I can count on my guests to show, since a lot of them are family and close friends of my fiancee's family who would show.  I kind of think the idea could be fun, too, as some of you pointed out, where it leaves for extra time and makes a Sunday wedding feel more like a Saturday.  It's good to know the Memorial Day weekend weddings you guys went to didn't bother you.  I know it personally wouldn't bother me, because I tend to do whatever people around me do for the date, I don't have any traditions lined up, but like you guys said I think if I know my guest list I can figure out if they'll come.  And I have to say, I think they all will!  Thanks for the input and great advice!  I will keep the advice about vendors on the day itself in mind-- good thinking!!
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i had a labor day weekend wedding and it turned out fab.  we sent out save the dates so that people could plan accordingly.  i say go for it :)
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I guess it depends on your family/friends.  For me if I were to do a Memorial Day wedding I'd probably just have me, FI, my DD and mom there lol.  Memorial Day weekend is a big thing up in the Catskills every year and alot of my friends are musicians playing there or are involved in something or other.  I'm just not a fan of it.  If it were family or a VERY close friend I'd be there on a long weekend but wouldn't be happy with it.  I look forward to spending extra time with my family where I don't HAVE to use my PTO time.
  • edited December 2011
    I think the idea is great, but I know when we were considering a Labor Day wedding, we were discouraged. I thought a three day weekend would be great for a Florida wedding (give people an extra day to get there and a day to get home if they did not want to take time off), but since labor day falls at the begginning of the school year, we had lots of noise (which as a parent I sort of understood). Do what you feel is right!
  • edited December 2011
    I love Memorial Day weekend weddings. People have time to relax before going back to work. I would just send out early STD's so ppl who are traveling don't get stuck with the holiday flight mark-up. I also attended a wedding on the 4th of July and it was great.
    218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We went to a BarMitzvah this year on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend ... we thought it was great.  We had fun dancing, drinking and eating good food, then went to a friends house, changed into shorts and went to a BBQ.  It was no big deal, it was fun and just part of the other festivities of the weekend.Could you make it a weekend event ending in the wedding on Sunday, then your guests can have fun, but still go home that Monday to their bbq's etc?
  • edited December 2011
    I would be annoyed, especially if it was an OOT wedding. But never say that to the couple. Hotels are more $, Travel is more $ and alot of people have plans for holiday weekends or just use them to relax. I would try hard to steer clear of holidays and holiday weekends for weddings
  • edited December 2011
    I think a Memorial weekend wedding is fine! I agree, it's nice in that you have an extra day before going back to work. Since you're having a smaller wedding, your guests are going to be the people closest to you so none of them should have an issue with it! Like a few others said, I would just suggest you send your STDs out very early so people can plan accordingly and try to snag some travel deals. If you were planning on reserving a block of hotel rooms, you'd probably want to do that early as well, since it is a holiday weekend. GL!
  • edited December 2011
    DH's cousin is getting married this coming Memorial Day weekend but I'm actually happy about it because it's a long weekend for us and the wedding is in Texas so it works out. If you do decide to go for it, just make sure to give your guests ample notice. We already got her save the date a couple of months ago!
  • Mrs.AllyHMrs.AllyH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend that got married on Memorial Day Weekend this year and she invited over 200 people and only 96 accepted. Most of the excuses were because they had long standing family commitments and such. Just something to think about. I personally LOVE it because I'm OOT for all of my friends and it gives me time to travel.
  • edited December 2011
    I think holiday weekend weddings are kind of annoying as a guest.  I personally chose a non-holiday weekend for my wedding, because I know travel is a pain and we have MANY out of town guests.  Most people look forward to having 3 day weekends to relax and do things with family and friends, and sometimes they may view going to a wedding as an obligation.  I just didn't want people to resent having to come to a wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards