Chit Chat

Wedding Planner, are you using one?

I hadn't thought I needed one until several people looked at me like I was crazy not to use one. I posted on my local boards and sounds like they are doing their own planning and getting a DOC. I am just starting the process and I think I will be alright once I find the venue.

What are your ladies thoughts on this? Am I underestimating my need for more help (ie.- a planner) ???

Not feeling so sure anymore. My wedding budget is about 15k.  We are probably inviting 100 but realistically expecting 70-80. So it's not a huge wedding.

Re: Wedding Planner, are you using one?

• I think planning your own and having a DOC is the way to go.  Unless your career is just super demanding and you don't care about the details, and you'd rather just pay someone else to deal with it, you don't need a professional wedding planner.  I do recommend a DOC, though.  I didn't have one and wish I did.  Knotties on your local board will likely trade services with you.
  • We had a DOC and she was worth every penny.  She was also a budget vendor though (new business and wanting to build up her experience) so I got a great deal.  Not sure I would've paid any more than I did for one.

• We used a DOC also.  She was starting in wedding planning, and did help a little with planning for a very small price.  It was nice to have someone that was always interested in listening to me talk about my wedding, and who could help me research vendors and stuff.  A normal DOC doesn't do that. 

I definately don't think a planner is necessary in any way shape or form, but if you get overwhelmed, it's a good option.
  • I think ANY wedding can benefit from a DOC.  That way you and your family members (i.e. Mom and Grandma) can relax and have a good time without worrying about making sure it all flows correctly...  Whether you need more than that depends on how elaborate of an event you're planning.

We had full planning services, but I was still involved in all of the details.  I didn't just say, "plan my wedding."  In our case, we had a pretty elaborate destination wedding - decor, logistics, etc. - even though it was only 60 guests.  There is NO WAY we could have done it without help.  No way.
  • Thanks for the reenforcements. It's what I had thought I definately want a DOC but didn't think I needed a planner until I got so many crazy reactions. I started doubting my self.
  • Can you ladies give me a bllpark price on what a DOC will charge???
  • I agree with PP.  I think in this time and economic climate, having a full service coordinator can get you one of two reactions, and neither can be very helpful. You have to decide what works for your situation. From what you've said, it sounds like you could benefit from doing it all yourself or using a DOC.  I have a full service planner because I freaked after trying to research vendors in my hometown, 3,000 miles away.  My career is pretty demanding which made it even harder.  I think most people only get a full service planner if they are too busy, not into the details (although I hardly hear that one - they usually go the informal route), or planning something more elaborate or unique. I suggest getting some suggestions on your local board, and they can tell you what the range is for your area as well as some really good recommendations.
  • I initially booked a wedding planner, but then I just keep getting all my planning done myself, (I was a little over excited), so I ended up just booking her to be my DOC and its going to work out perfect.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010
  • pav - I think I'd be like you with a planner I'd still want to meet all the vendors before hiring and being so involved the planner would wonder why I needed her. LOL
  • Not me was thinking of one but I also am working on a budget and they can be a bit on the spendy side.  Its just another thing that the Wedding Industry wants you to believe that you need.

If you really are like majorly busy or you are really having a hard time pulling all your ideas together you may find one who can get you through that process and maybe also DOC so that noone in your party or family has to worry about all the details of the day.

Price would be a different in different regions of the States. GL.
  • I have a planner for full planning services and am questioning whether the price was worth it. She isn't doing anything wrong per say, but I just seem to still be doing the work. We've just started though. We are in the process of narrowing down the budget, so I gues I had to decide what was actually needed and what wasn't. I don't think she's had a chance to really get to work yet.

My main reason for a wedding planner was because I knew I had some very strong personalities in my family, and knew that as soon as we announced our engagement there would be huge pressure, opinions and huge drama if things weren't done their way.

By saying we had a planner it deferred the "details" to her, and the people I was worried about, lost all interest in giving opinions on the wedding.

So even though we spent some big bucks on her, I sort of look at her like my price for sanity.

There is also a level of comfort in knowing that someone else is responsible for making it all work. Especially for the big day. For me, full planning services gave me the comfort in knowing that she was totally informed the whole time.

I guess it is personal choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards