Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is there nothing else...

Re: Is there nothing else...

• I agree that they are probably way more common among morons but accidents still can happen.This is absolutely true, but not a whole lot can happen if your gun is locked up and unloaded.  I mean, without taking it out and loading it, of course.But I get the point you're trying to make.  I think you'd feel a lot better about guns if you took a firearm safety course, but obviously that's your call to make, and I understand not liking guns.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Kati - you could live in the nicest neighborhood in your town and your house could still be robbed, intruders could still break in.  It happens every day.  Actually in my city, the richest suburbs are the ones getting broken into right now.  For me, if a criminal comes into my home with a gun, you better believe I want to have one too (or have my husband have it). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What is this gym killing thing? Anyone have a link to his diaries? Also, this doesn't have a lot to do with anything, but I'm liberal on every single issue that I can think of except gun control. 
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Okay, Kati - would you ever live in a home with a pool? That's one where I absolutely draw the line - when I lived in Phx, everyone had a pool. I swore up and down our house would never have one because I didn't want to assume the risk to neighborhood kids.Just playing devil's advocate with you, not trying to attack you. You know I love ya :)Ricks - I'm pretty much the same way. More liberal on healthcare, but mostly conservative when it comes to government intrusion in our lives, gun laws, etc. Definitely liberal on most other issues. I find that as I get older and get closer to having a family, I become more conservative about things that would directly impact my quality of life or guaranteed rights. That isn't to say I'm still not very interested in social programs and equal rights and that sort of thing...it's just that I'm finding that I have other interests that are partly selfish now.
  • Ndz - Not sure if that statement was for me, but no matter how safe one area appears to be, intrusions can happen anywhere. We had a horrible home invasion 2 years ago in CT and it left 3 women dead. Had there been a gun in the house, the father may have been able to save his family. We have guns because we'd rather be safe than sorry. We aren't hurting anyone by having them, so I don't see the big deal.
  • ::Winks at GG and Vogt::Guys I am sorry I started this debate. Don't hate me ;P
  • I don't disagree that my excessive fear of guns is irrational.  I have never seen one in real life and cringe when I even see one on TV.  My mom was one of those moms that forbid us from visiting the homes of friends who had guns (in Texas, so this was quite a few friends) and it definitely rubbed off on me. I'm also a pretty big pacifist so as much as I'd like to believe I could pull the trigger in a life or death situation I'm not sure I could (even with proper training).  I think even with it locked up knowing it was in the house would haunt me (much like I often wake up at night wondering if the door is locked or if the oven is turned off).
  • GG, FI knew a family where a similar thing happened.  That is his biggest reason for wanting a gun.
  • See Kati, it makes sense then, if that's how you were raised.  You were raised to fear firearms.  I really think if you took a class it would help your fear of them a lot.  Just learning about them takes the mystery and the stigma away.Ricks, I love this debate, don't be sorry!

• tlv - [url]http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/08/05/sodini.pdf[/url]You can read more about what he did here - [url]http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/07/gym.shooting.psychology/index.html[/url]Kati - so with that logic, does that mean you will never live in a house with a pool?  I'm not saying you're wrong for not allowing a gun in your house. It's your right to have one or not have one.  I'm just think if you learned more about it and maybe weren't so naive as to think you'll never need one, you might change your mind a little.
  • Good, well I have to go, so have fun with this. You all can thank me and Dani with beer or cupcakes later.
  • gg- the post was for kati, she said she couldnt imagine living in a place where she would need a gun for protection. I disagreed with this, you can get an intruder anywhere.
  • VT shooter keeps confusing me.  Virginia Tech, not Vermont...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I personally vote that all handguns should be made illegal (except for law enforcement) and not available for sale. You can still have your hunting rifles, which don't pack as much as take longer to load. The only problem is that criminals will always find ways to get guns.  So, the only people that won't have them will be innocent people.  Then criminals would be more likely to break into a house or whatever because, guess what...they know that the people in that house won't have a gun to defend themselves with.  Something's wrong with that IMO. 
  • I find that as I get older and get closer to having a family, I become more conservative about things that would directly impact my quality of life or guaranteed rights. That isn't to say I'm still not very interested in social programs and equal rights and that sort of thing...it's just that I'm finding that I have other interests that are partly selfish now.I'm noticing this about myself as well.  I don't think I could ever vote Republican due to my passion for women's rights, equality, education programs, etc but I am definitely becoming fiscally conservative and it scares me sometimes.  OctoMom definitely brought out my inner conservative.And I definitely get the pool comparison, although that never would have occurred to me.  We had a pool in our backyard when I was young (most people did), but my brother and I were both nationally-ranked swimmers so I never viewed it as a safety risk oddly (aside from when I heard about my friend's brother).As much as I will probably never get up the guts to do it, I admittedly probably should go to a shooting range, if only to rid myself of my excessive fear.  I'm sure FI would also think that was really hot (bonus)!
  • Kati - It's a reason we have the guns as well. I'd rather have guns, which increase our chances of survival, than not and be stuck in a very bad situation. Ang - No problem, Ang. It's a hot topic and I like to hear what others have to say. I understand both sides of the argument, but stand firm in my beliefs.
  • Ricks, I like it :) I think J is absolutely right though. If you went and took a class and had the chance to shoot, you'd probably feel differently. I can totally understand you feeling scared of them since you were brought up to fear them. But, I really do think it would calm your fears a little to be with someone who is trained on how to use them. Plus, you might really like firing one :)
  • Excellent point cocoreo.  Making something illegal doesn't make it go away.  Look at drugs in this country for example.
  • Ndz - Ah, okay. Reading comprehension fail on my part.
  • Also, going back to Sarah's comment - Law enforcement officers can (and have) misused guns as well. Just because someone is well-trained in the usage of weapons doesn't mean that they won't misuse them too. Just sayin'.
  • Sorry Ivy...going with the school's logo (VT) rather than writing it out. I'm lazy, didn't mean to confuzzle you :)
  • i think theknot should have a policy of transparency when it comes to its nefarious dealings.
  • Absolutely - people who are trained to use weapons can screw up and get hurt. Think about people who hurt themselves with knives or OD on Rx pills or even OTC pills because they make a mistake. Mistakes happen and are part of life, and can sometimes be deadly. It's really sad. Educating yourself and acting with care is the best chance to avoid the mistake though. And, just because I'm an advocate for gun education doesn't mean that I think everyone needs to own a gun. Like Dani said, it's everyone's choice. But I think everyone should have some general knowledge about safe handling. What happens when your kid finds one on the street and brings it home for Mom to see? Not saying that would happen all that often, but there are instances that you could be in the presence of a gun, and knowing how to handle one safely couldn't hurt.
  • I live in a very rural area that in the past has seen very little crime.  I grew up in this area.  My dad was the captain of the rifle team in the high school he went to.  We grew up around guns, and learned to respect their power.  We learned to properly care for and shoot the guns, so I have no fear of them.  My H grew up in a home where guns weren't allowed.  He has an irrational fear of them as a result.All of a sudden cars and homes in my area are being broken into of late.  The gas station up the street from us was robbed at gunpoint a few months back, and someone was recently stabbed by one of his "friends" right in the middle of this peaceful little town.  It scares the crap out of me, but my H doesn't want us to have a gun in the house because he's afraid of them.  I'm starting to get him more toward my side of the argument, and I can't tell you how glad of that I am.Crimes happen everywhere.  Even the areas that seem to be really peaceful have to potential for crimes.  In the right hands, although guns are dangerous, the danger can be almost completely removed.  Unless my life was in danger I'd never point a gun at another person, loaded or not because I understand how dangerous they can be.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Yo Vogt!  Let's go shoot some guns in the cornfields together!

• I don't think gun ownership is as much a conservative issue as it is a libertarian issue, and there can be libertarians on both the left and the right. I have at times identified as a left libertarian, which can also be code for something else. ;)I don't like the idea of any one group having a monopoly on guns, be it the cops and the military, the neo-Nazis who shoot up Holocaust museums, or any other group. FI just bought his first gun and I don't have a problem with that at all. Not sure I'm ready to learn to shoot myself yet, but I think it's in my future. If anything were ever to happen where our lives suddenly became unstable, I'd like to know we are ready.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • I am kind of ambivalent about the gun issue but I do have one question for people who say they feel safer having a gun in the house, because when I've considered whether or not I want one, I always think of this and am leaning towards no:This is especially for those who would responsibly store the gun (as pps have said: locked, unloaded, safety on, etc).Ok, so during the night while you are sleeping, someone sneaks into your house.  They are armed.  Since I doubt they sent you a note saying they were coming, you will be surprised.  What are you going to do, say "Excuse me, Mr. Armed Psychopath, and allow me to go unlock my safe, remove my firearms, load them, and then proceed with self defense!"?Not trying to be snarky but I don't know how I would possibly beat the intruder to the punch on that one.  Unless they made a ton of noise breaking in and the gun was loaded in the bedside table or something.  Which would be unsafe in any other circumstance.
  • Well I don't have my gun for self defense.  If I had my gun for self defense I'd keep it loaded and easily accessible, safety ON, of course.  And since I don't have children, and I'd keep it somewhere my cat couldn't get it, and my FI is intelligent, I'd think we'd still be good.But very good point.

• LOL at TK starring out c0ck in Dani's post.

• Hahaha, I didn't even think of that!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards