Catholic Weddings

HELP ME PLEASE!.ON my wedding vows

i need help...i just read that we cant say our own vows and my fi is kinda pissed...how true is this? can we maybe say something as we do the unity candles..which the church did say we can do? i tried to ask the church about vows and all they could tell me was that i need so speak to the pastor....any ideas ...thoughts...?

Re: HELP ME PLEASE!.ON my wedding vows

• alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the unity candle is not traditionally part of the catholic ceremony or mass, so anything you do with this can technically be made up/your own wording i suppose.  vows are the sacrament, they can be adjusted typically the way you say them, but the wording is pretty much the same.  do you have that booklet your church gives you?  this outlines the different ways you can say them.  i'm sure if you really would like to say something you both wrote yourself, you can take some time at the reception to say them, put in your program, etc. 
  • daphny32daphny32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks i was thinking the same about the unity candles...hope we can squeeze something in
  • edited December 2011
    The vows are the standard ines but one thing I have seen is the bride and groom toasting one another and their guests at the reception in a very vow ish manner
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You really do need to speak to your pastor because it is up to him. Typically, you just say the vows that are written as part of the ceremony. But you never know - he might let you add in your own vows in addition to the regular vows. Or add them into another part of the ceremony. He will most likely want to review them first, though, to make sure they are church-appropriate.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i wouldnt mind that at all...just didnt know if that those were un heard of or not allowed situations....i did call today but unfortunatly he is on vaca till mid month....
  • edited December 2011
    we used the traditional vows, but we wrote our own prayer of the couple and it was very much like our own vows.
    My little loves
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thats very helpful as well..thank yoU!!!
  • TruchanaTruchana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just ask the priest or wedding coordinator or priest if you can.  We are allowed to at our church, just need to be approved...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards