Catholic Weddings
Options

FOCUS test

My fiance and I are going to our church's informational meeting on Monday night.  I was wondering if anyone can share a little insight into the FOCUS test that we'll be taking.Thanks!
image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf

Re: FOCUS test

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's a questionnaire that you take separately with about 175 short statements on it that you answer "Agree", "Disagree", or "Unsure".  It addresses a wide range of topics that people should discuss before they get married.  Finances, household roles, the importance of religion, family planning, and problem solving are among the topics.  There are also additional sections for couples dealing with divorce, cohabitation, and interfaith marriages.  It's purpose is really to make sure that you and your FI have discussed these issues and are on the same page about them.It also is making sure that you're not getting married for the wrong reasons.  For example, there are statements such as, "I feel pressure from family members to get married," or, "The female member in this couple is pregnant," or, "I am afraid when my FI gets angry," or, "I feel that I cannot be happy without being married."It doesn't "test" your Catholicism to see if you say and know what you are "supposed to" say and know.  It honestly is a tool for the priest to see how much the couple needs to work on their relationship before they are ready to be married.It's not that big of a deal.  My FI and I took it about a week and a half ago, and we found it to be pretty easy since we had already discussed most of what they were talking about.  We're excited to go over the results some time this week!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OH, ok well, that makes me feel better.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are also a few statements designed to weed out undiagnosed/untreated mental illness...  E.g. "I hear voices that other people do not hear."  My DH and I giggled about those afterward.  :)The FOCUS test isn't bad, really.  It's just designed to flag for the priest any areas in which you and your fiance might not agree, and ought to discuss prior to marriage.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was actually hoping for those "Strongly Agree", "Agree", "Neutral", "Disagree", "Strongly Disagree" questions...they seem to leave a lot more grey area.  I could have totally had fun with it...Thanks for the info, girls.  I feel less nervous about the meeting now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards