Ohio-Cleveland

new to CLE - where do i shop for a dress?

Hi Knot Brides!I'm originally from California and recently moved to Cleveland (Beachwood/Shaker) with my fiance and I have NO IDEA where to start looking for a dress! I NEED HELP! My sister and mom are coming out in late September to help me try on dresses but I don't even know where to start making appts. Please, please, please give me some advice on where to go. Average prices of dresses would be helpful too because I have a dollar amount in mind for a dress but can make adjustments should I find something perfect enough to warrant it. Thanks!

Re: new to CLE - where do i shop for a dress?

• edited December 2011
    I got mine at David's Bridal. They carry dresses in petite so I was able to find one that doesn't need to be altered. It was on sale for $750, which was a little outside of my price range but I fell in love with it online!
  • rclark28rclark28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Catan's in Strongsville has a lot of dresses with a good variety in style and prices. My dress was only $400. Watch out for their alterations package though, I would recommend having it done elsewhere if you are comfortable- it's $500! Yea I paid more for that then my dress!
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Catan Bridal in Strongsville is GREAT for a first stop to try on dresses and get an idea of what styles work for you. Their selection is huge, and prices range from $200 or $300 on the lower end up to big $$$ designer stuff. You don't need an appointment unless you plan to visit the Couture Room. If you can manage to go during the week, it's less crowded than weekends. Also, they let you bring a camera into the dressing room which is a big help when it comes to reviewing what you've tried on and helping narrow down your choices.If you decide to go with them, I agree with the pp regarding alterations. I can suggest at least two independent seamstresses who do wonderful work at a much more reasonable price.I bought my dress and veil at Julianne's Bridal Outlet, a consignment shop in Olmsted Falls. That's a good option if you are open to the idea of wearing a 'gently worn' or 'previous season style' dress. They are picky about what they accept to sell.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Pixie082209Pixie082209 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are 2 places in lake county that you might want to try. One is expressions bridal in Mentor on Mentor Ave. They have a good selection. I bought my dress from them when i was engaged the first time and it was around 600 dollars if i remember correctly. I don't have address info on them but google them and there will be a website then there is a place in willoughy on robindale called bridal and tuxedo emporium. They have an ok selection, but if you find the dream dress anywhere else, they can order it for you for a lot less. My sister found the dress she wanted at catan's but called this place and it was maybe 200 less. The address for them is: 4867 Robinhood Drive. Willougby, Ohio 44094 440.946.7178. They are very nice and helpful. Good luck with your search!  
  • edited December 2011
    I will second the vote for bridal expressions in mentor and bridal and tuxedo emporium in willoughby.  I think both stores are great...agree that the mentor store has more of a selection.  I ended up buying my dress and bridesmaids dresses from mentor because they helped me custom design my dress to exactly what i wanted and it was a very reasonable cost.  Galleria gowns in willoughby is also very good.
  • devinandheididevinandheidi member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Brides by the Falls in Chagrin Falls. It's not far from Beachwood/Shaker at all and is the most darling store. I LOVE Jennifer and Karen. I sort of miss them now :) haha.
  • smrstorm28smrstorm28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First I would start looking online and see the styles and makers of what you like.  Most all of their sites will have a search to see what stores in your area carry their dresses.  Catans is a very good place, large store with many selections, so if anything would be a good place to try on many different styles to see which you like best.  Some dress site will list a preferred deal and you can also see if they are have a trunk show to.  They bring in other styles and special when that is going on.  Sign-up up for some shops now and they will email you their specials and events. I drove 2 hours to a place to get my dress and in the end I had a huge hassle with the store, I should have stayed closer to home.
  • edited December 2011
    i would start at catans they have like everything.... once you pick your dress check out: anythingbridal.com to see if they carry the company of the dress you want. im getting my dress from there its a 1300 dress im getting for 800!

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome to Cleveland =) I went to The Perfect Bride in Rocky River (they are awesome)...but you probably don't want to travel that far. You might want to check out All Brides Beautiful in Hudson. Several friends have went there & fell in love w/ the salon & the staff. Here is their web address: http://www.allbridesbeautiful.com/ GL!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome to Cleveland,  I recently moved here myself.  I purchased my gown online via netbride.com after seeing it in a bridal shop for twice the price.  If your budget allows for more expensive gowns, Legacy Village has a nice shop- I think it's Demitrios Bridal. They only carry their line of bridal gowns, starting at I think $1400, but they carry several brands of bridesmaid dresses that are worth checking out for the rest of your party.   I some accessories there and tried on a few dresses, the people were no more or less pushy than any other store I've visited.  Good luck!
  • ajakubecajakubec member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would HIGHLY reccommend NOT going to Catans, They jack up the retail prices as much as $1000 more than other stores.

The customer service there is hoorendous. I went there looking for a Reem Acra gown, they pulled out a sample from their attic that was filthy, but I ended up loving it. In efforts to try to sell me the gown the sales woman rubbed everclear (illigal in OH) on the dress while I was wearing it! I couldn't believe it, and they were suprised that I wasn't comfortable spending $2500 on a dress in that condition and made me feel awful.

That being said, I ended up purchasing a similar gown by platinum at Matina's Bridal. Its a cute boutique inside Eaton Mall on Chagrin Blvd in Woodmere. The staff is awesome and easy to work with, alterations are priced by what you need done, so you arent spending />$500 like at Catans. If you are looking for a couture gown, this is the place to buy, you really cannot compare the prices, Catan's really screws over their customers.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!

I'm looking for a bridal seamstress in the Cleveland area and I would be very interested to contact your independent seamstresses for information and pricing. Any information you can provide would be very helpful!

Thanks!
  • missyreeves21missyreeves21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to Catans to try on dresses.  Find the one you like.  Go to the designer's website.  Then find oit which stores in your area carry the line.  See who will give you the best price.  Perfect Bride in Rocky River and Gallerie Gowns (east) are both great and I am pretty sure they price match.  I was maid of honor in my friends wedding and that's what she did - saved her lots of money.  Catans is over priced.  Catans will actually be in 2 bridal fairs these next few weeks so I'm going to check the dresses out at the fairs first.  Hopefully, we can save as much as my friend did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards