New Jersey
Options

Distance too far?

I need opinions on this... The church that I want to get married in (FI's church) is about 45 minutes from where I live and where the majority of our guests live. Most of the reception venues that we've looked at are in the area where I live so they would be about 45 minutes to an hour away from the church. There is only one that is about 10 minutes from the church. I want to be married in that church no matter where we have the reception, but FI thinks that it's too far. He said we should only have it in that church if we go with the reception venue that's close by. Otherwise he thinks we should get married in my church, which I don't think is all that pretty and I'm not too fond of our priest. We haven't decided yet where we will have the reception as I'm still getting prices and we have plenty of time to decide (not getting married until May 2011 but I want to get it taken care of now). So my question to you ladies is do you think 45 minutes to an hour is too far in between locations? Would you travel that far for a wedding?TIA!
image 189 Invited
image 124 are ready to party! image 65 would rather be somewhere else image 0 are lollygagging
RSVP Date: April 12
wedding planning

Re: Distance too far?

• Options
    VeryZenVeryZen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've traveled that far before.  But, I think that if you have time to look at venues, I would choose something closer to the church.  It gets crazy driving all over the state for a wedding!  I think anything 30 minutes or less is doable, but preferably within 20 minutes or less of the church is ideal.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's too far, how much time is in between the ceremony and reception?But...you did say most of the guests live near you, so that would be 45 mins to the church and then 45 mins back to the reception.....something to consider. What is wrong with your church? Priest?
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If it was 45 minutes from the church, but the church wasn't far from most of your guests, I wouldn't mind.  The fact that they have to go 45 minutes to the church, and then 45 minutes BACK towards home to the reception would irk me.  People may not attend the church.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you will have a lot of people skip the church since the reception would be much closer to home.  It's a bit much to ask people to drive 45 minutes one and then 45 minutes back for the reception.  Also, what would traffic be like?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would skip the church if I had to drive 45 mins only to drive 45 minutes back for the reception. I don't think 45 minutes one way is far, but both ways. Then you have to consider time of day and traffic.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've done it. It's not ideal but it is what it is. If you do decide to go with your FI's church and a reception hall that's 45 minutes away I would definitely keep the fact that your church isn't all that pretty under wraps. As a guest I'll do what I have to do but if I find out it's because of some asinine reason then it becomes a problem for me and that's when the bitching_will start.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think your close friends & family would/should attend both no matter what!  But with that being said, a lot of people tend to skip the church anyway, so in this situation I'd see even more skipping the ceremony.  If I were you I'd try to get your reception & ceremony location as close to eachother as you can.  My reception space is nine minutes from my ceremony space.  I would have went with a family church, but I think it would have been too much of a hassle for our friends & family.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It seems like your FI doesn't care too much about using his church, and you don't want to use yours, so why not find another church that's more convenient? There are lots of girls on here that have gotten married in churches where they were not parishioners. I would definitely make sure you like the priests/church community though and not base it on how "pretty" the church is.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldnt mind it, but some people might, if there is a gap, which there usually is, what else would I do but sit in a diner or go home.  So I wouldnt mind the drive, the drive home sucks though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards