African American Weddings

I Can't Let Go of My Ring

So I'm in love with my ring so much that I can't let it go to get sized! I thought my ring size was always a 7, but after getting sized @ the jewelers I really wear a 5.  They told me it could possibly take 6 weeks to come back but I just can't bring myself to part ways with my ring. I'm so attached to it! However, right now I'm wearing a ring snuggie which is doing the trick for now. I have a family wedding coming up in 3 weeks and don't wanna risk not having my ring to show my extended family who hasn't seen me since the engagement. Then after that is my school's homecoming, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas..its a never ending vicious cycle.

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Any tips or suggestions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I Can't Let Go of My Ring

• edited December 2011
    I can relate somewhat...we got mine sized when I first got it and it took a week. I thought I was going to die. I actually have to have it sized down some more and I'm trying to decide when to do that. I can't imagine parting with it for 6 weeks. Why did they say that it would take so long.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • bmoton82bmoton82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is just the time period they give you to cover themselves in case something happens or it takes longer than expected. My FI had my wedding band sized when he found out my ring was too big and he said it only took 2 weeks so maybe that give it up to 6 weeks just to cover all bases...I sure hope so! Because If i give it up and don't have it by Oct 23rd; I'm gonna be 350 degrees!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I hear that...maybe just wait until after the wedding. By then most of your fam will have seen it so there won't be any real need to show it over the holidays...just a thought.

AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't want to let mine go to get sized either but they only took a couple of hours... the problem is I keep losing weight so I need to get it sized again! I hope that it takes less time than you think!

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Playing Devil's advocate for a minute.  From my own experience - we picked my ring out 12/18/09.  He proposed Christmas morning.  Before the end of the year, I took it to the jeweler to get it sized.  At that point, because of the holiday rush, they had wait times up to 2 months.  I held onto my ring thinking it would get better at the beginning of the year.  I took it back in mid January, they were still backed up from Christmas.  Under their advice I parted with it - even though I dreaded it.  Long story short it still took 6 weeks but had I waited a few more weeks (around Valentine's day) they assured me it would  have taken much longer than 3 months because of all the major jewelry purchases during that particular time of the year (Christmas to Valentine's Day).  
    So JMTC, but after homecoming and Thanksgiving, if you show the most important people, I say let them have it.  The longer you wait, the longer it might take.  Know what I mean?
    80 said yes image
  • edited December 2011
    Wow I guess I'm lucky that they only needed mine for a few hours to size it, I'm a size 5 too.  I don't know what I would do if it was for a few weeks.  I have walked out the house for work and had to turn back to get it.  Do they not do sizing their in store?
    Anniversary
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No they claim they have to ship it off for sizing. And I thought about taking it to one of those jewelry outlets where they size within hours; however, I don't think they are responsible in case anything major goes wrong with it..not sure! I think I may just hold on to it until after homecoming and if all signs point my way it will be back in time for Turkey Day
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely know how you feel, I had to get mine sized and they didn't do it in store so it took 2 or 3 weeks, i don't remember the actual amount of time, but I do remember missing it lol.  My ring was way too big at first and I was afraid I was going to lose it so I had to get it sized as soon as possible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    LOL yes a vicious cycle.  If I were you I would wait til after the class (school) thing then send it.  You would proably have it back by Christmas or atleast NY eve.
    Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes I think after homecoming will be when I part ways with my baby! Til then I'll cherish every moment with her...lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I need to get mine sized too. My ring sits in two bands the engagement ring sits in between them and for some reason the bands are smaller than the e ring so now I have to get them all sized together. I am waiting until closer to the wedding so that I dont have to get them sized more than once since I am losing weight. I dont want to part with it at all. Plus by the wedding I will need to get the ring re dipped in white gold so that it will look like brand new. I dont want to do it but it is worth it!
  • happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @bmoton82 - I thought about taking someplace else too.  They were quick to tell me if I did that I'd negate the insurance coverage.  On the upside, if anything ever happens to it, I get a free replacement and every 6 months until forever I get a free full inspection to make sure its in tip top shape.  One way or the other it is hard to let go of something so special.
    80 said yes image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards