California-Inland Empire

Anyone ever use phyllo dough?

This is probably more of a post for the Whats Cookin board but maybe you guys can help me. I accidentaly bought phyllo dough instead of puff pastry and dont know what to make with it. Anyone have any phyllo dough ideas?

Re: Anyone ever use phyllo dough?

• edited December 2011
    Where the heck did you find it?  I have been looking for that dang stuff for a few recipes I have.  I can't tell you what they are right now because I kind of wrote them off until I find that dough.  I have a recipe book at home that I can look at and tell you what to make with it.
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    I think one recipe was a pot pie looking thing.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    Pot pie is usually with puff pastry because that is what I was going to try and make. I dont what the heck to do with phyllo dough. I think thats more for greek food
  • edited December 2011
    Here's a site I use for recipes.  The link should take you to recipesusing that dough.http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?foodido=1935,1936,7922,10581,16697,19009,19016&title=phyllo%20dough
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    Its not clicky and I cant get it to copy and paste the whole thing :(
  • edited December 2011
    yea, there's pie like things you can make with it.  It looks like triangles of flaky crust on top instead of regular dough.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    the site is Recipezaar.com
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    Ooh, you can make turnover looking things with it!  I'm looking at all the pictures of food using that dough.  YUM!  You never answered my question!  Where did you get it?  I can't find it at the store.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, sorry. I got it at Staters. It was near the frozen pie crusts if that helps
  • edited December 2011
    Greek Phyllo Pizza Recipe #59596 | 50 min | 20 min prep | add private note | Edit... My Notes: Requires Premium Membership --> My Notes ONLY YOU see your private notes, and they print with the recipe. Save Note Cancel Saving Private Notes, and many other features at Recipezaar, requires Javascript. Please enable Javascript in your browser. (3) RATE IT NOW Print Recipe Your review has been submitted for approval and will appear shortly. By: ** Poppy ** Apr 14, 2003 A Different kind of pizza!! SERVES 8 (change servings and units) Change to: Servings US Metric 12345 clear stars Write a Review! (optional) Submit Cancel Ingredients 1/4 cup olive oil 2 cups onions, chopped 3 cloves garlic, minced 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped 2 tablespoons lemon juice 1 teaspoon ground black pepper 20 sheets phyllo dough 1/2 cup butter, melted 4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated (1 pound) 3 medium tomatoes, sliced thin 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled 1 cup breadcrumbs Directions 1In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.2Add onion and garlic.3Sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.4Add spinach and sauté until all excess moisture has evaporated.5Add basil, oregano, lemon juice and pepper.6Mix well.7Cool slightly.8Prepare Phyllo pizza crust: Use 10 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with melted butter, margarine, oil or vegetable spray.9Use 1/4 cup butter.10Repeat this step.11Place length of phyllo across width of greased 15” x 10” x 1” cookie sheet or baking pan.12Overlap each set of 10 buttered phyllo sheets 5 inches at center.13Roll overlapping phyllo onto itself on cookie sheet to form “pizza crust.14” Brush top layer with melted butter or olive oil and top with your favorite ingredients.15Spread spinach mixture on prepared phyllo sheets.16Top spinach with 1/2 of mozzarella.17Dredge tomatoes in bread crumbs and arrange on top of mozzarella.18Top with remaining mozzarella and feta cheese.19Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    You can make Baklava!  YUM!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Kasi- that website has a ton of recipes. Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    i was just scrolling down to say baklava. yum.
  • edited December 2011
    No problemo.  I'd never even heard of that stuff until I needed it and couldn't find it.  :P
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    Baklava is super yummy but its one of those things I can never eat very much of. I have a few pieces and I'm good. My mom swears that the greek stand at market night in Redlands has the best Baklava ever. She will buy a whole pan of it. I wonder if it freezes well?
  • edited December 2011
    They have baklava at the gyro stand?!?!?!?!?!  OMG I'm going this week!
  • edited December 2011
    I think you can make cream cheese wontons with phyllo dough...
  • edited December 2011
    Not the first greek stand but the second stand. The one with the awesome picture from the 80's of the blonde girl eating a gyro
  • edited December 2011
    Like the kind at the chinese restaurants MC? Those things are so freakin good!
  • edited December 2011
    yeah...I'm pretty sure you just cut it in squares and put a spoonfull of cream cheese in the middle then fold up the sides and seal them with egg and deep fry them...I love love love them!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards