Wedding Etiquette Forum

I'm not J & K but...

How do you feel about the death penalty? I'm bored too.
Leo says hi. He's...special.
Married
Planning

Re: I'm not J & K but...

• You forgot What's for lunch ;P
  • Pretty sure it's a hypocritical punishment, if you can call it that, and often doesn't fit the crime.Blow up a building, kill 30 people, including children, and you get to die peacefully after 10 years in solitary confinement? Don't think so.
  • (thanks tlv!)I used to support it, "eye for an eye" and all that jazz. But in  theory it is supposed to be a punishment to deter other would-be criminals that commit crimes punishable by death. From what I've learned, it actually does very little to slow heinous crimes even with the threat of the death penalty.
  • Oh yeah, what's for lunch?  I slept late today and don't even know yet, but I know that cilantro cream chicken and edamame are for dinner :)On the death penalty, I kind of agree with Vogt. I actually think it's not a cruel enough punishment most of the time.  I also feel like it's not our right to take away life, which brings up a whole other argument since a murderer chose to take away life.  I don't know, I'm not articulate today.
    Married
    Planning
  • I'm anti-death penalty, for a couple of reasons - 1) mistakes can happen (and have happened)2) it's far more expensive than keeping the creeps in jail for the rest of their lives
  • The only good I can see in it is that it takes a tiny bit of pressure off of overcrowded prisons, but from what I know, the prisons holding the death row inmates aren't the really crowded ones, it's the smaller, lower security ones.  Like the one right by my mom's house.  Creepy.
    Married
    Planning
  • OH and for lunch I had some delicious sushi. Last time I had it, it was so-so but today it was awesome.
  •  I think the reason it does not deter others, is because it takes so damn long with appeals and such. It is too bad the families of the victim can't handle out the justice however they see fit. Some might elect to NOT kill the criminal, some might.
  • 2) it's far more expensive than keeping the creeps in jail for the rest of their livesI've actually heard it is more expensive to prosecute someone under the death penalty (due to the length appeals process that accompany it).
  • Three years ago, it cost more money to put someone to death than it did to hold them in jail for 60 years because of the amount of appeals, lawyers provided, and other oversights that come with the death penalty. Given the cost of it, I don't support it. However, if things have changed with jails getting filled and requiring more guards and it is now less expensive to use the death penalty, then I support it, but I do not think that you should be allowed to sit in jail for 20 years then be put to death. I think you should get 5 years, max, during which time all your appeals should take place. Basically, if you're on death row, you deserve to be there. Whether or not I think we should actually go through with it is just a matter of cost.
  • It's not nice to talk about me while I'm gone.I'm against the death penalty.  It's hypocritical.  It's even more expensive than lifetime incarceration (if you really want sources, I'd be happy to provide, it just might take me a minute to locate).  It's not useful as a deterrent (again, happy to provide sources if you'd like). 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • That's a tough one.  I think the death penalty would be more of a deterrant if it were swifter.  Like, if the convicted couldn't put it off for 10-15 years on appeals.  But... I know there are probably people who are wrongly convicted and put on death row, so I don't like that innocent people could die for another person's crime. 
  • Also, some forms are very inhumane (lethal injection is not as peaceful and painless as it looks).  Plus, I'm all for letting 'em rot in prison.

• Yeah J&K, cost, it comes down to cost. And since when is lethal injection considered a "cruel" form of death - that is BS. These people murdered, raped, and tortured others and oh, the little needle causes pain so let's not use it anymore! Horrible.
  • Oh yeah, AND, with the number of exonerations there have been since the advent of DNA technology, I'm mighty against killing someone if there's any possibility they didn't commit the crime.  You can let someone out of prison.  You can't bring them back to life.

• J&K, who cares if it's painful. Hanging was too, but they did it for years. Some states still use firing squad and I'm not sure how that could be painless. Basically, if these people suffer a bit of pain before they die, I'm okay with that.
  • I'm really all for stoning. I think OK had that still when I did a report on this in high school (so 10 years ago). Sometimes, I think that's a fitting punishment.But really, I don't believe we can condem someone for taking a life without the other person's permission, and then turn around and do it as a government sanctioned activity. I don't know that it sends a very good message about our respect for life in this country.
  • I'm against it. It wastes money, time, etc. also, if someone committed a heinous crime, I don't have a problem with them having to dwell in their misery for a lifetime. That being said, if someone hurt my family, I'd wanna kill 'em.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • vally - That's what I meant - it's more expensive to prosecute under the death penalty (with appeals, etc.) than a non-capital murder case.  :-) But that still brings me back to point #1 - mistakes happen.  Government-sponsored killing of an innocent person is not acceptable under any circumstance.  Methods of identification are imperfect, especially eye witnesses, and so many death penalty cases have been reversed after-the-fact. 
  • Yeah J&K, anyone put on death row before or within a few years of DNA research coming out should have their case completely reinvestigated. Or it would be cheaper just to take them off death row, but I still think their cases should be reviewed - many were and many people were released innocent.
  • Nebraska has the death penalty, but they just ruled that the electric chair, which we used, was considered cruel. So even though we have it, we have no legal way to execute people. Awesome.Hanging, if done properly (and deaths are actually pretty regulated) shouldn't cause a bit of pain.
  • No MissSarah, it's not the needle.  It's the drugs used in the lethal injection.  One of them causes excruciating pain.  But because another one paralyzes, you can't tell.  And I'm not saying they shouldn't suffer--like I said, let them rot in prison, trust me, people sure as shiit suffer there.  But we have an amendment protecting against cruel and unusual punishment.  And it has been argued, of late, that lethal injection is cruel.  So I'm against it being unconstitutional. 

• Hanging should snap the neck immediately, but often it doesn't and the person strangles.
  • Peyton- Ooops, I read it as "It is far more expensive to keep the creeps in jail for the rest of their lives"
  • I have to say, I do not feel sorry for people who rape and murder to get what they want. Nope. I don't care if they suffer. I DO feel sorry for people who sit in jail for a crime they did not commit. This is why I am on the fence. I sway more towards "for" most of the time though.
  • We still have the DP, but I don't think we use it often.
  • For anyone who hasn't heard of it, you might check out the Innocence Project, a national organization dedicated to exonerating wrongfully convicted people through DNA evidence - http://www.innocenceproject.org/. They have 250 active cases right now.  
  • For anyone who hasn't heard of it, you might check out the Innocence Project, a national organization dedicated to exonerating wrongfully convicted people through DNA evidence - http://www.innocenceproject.org/. They have 250 active cases right now. There is also a show on ID discovery about this. I think.
  • Side note:  the title and first post of this thread totally confused the heck out of me.  Until I read the post it was discussed in.  Now I'm up to speed.  :-pAnd I want to add, there are some cases where I kind of wish the criminal would die.  But I still don't support the death penalty.  Now...if his or her prison mates were to take care of it, well...And, I DEFINITELY don't feel sorry for any guilty criminal.  I worked with 'em, and I still don't feel bad for them.  And, like Fishy said, if someone hurt my family, well...I'd want to kill them.At one time during this post, I had a point...I swear.

• Sorry to gossip J & K.  Yeah I would have been confused too without the background post :)And why isn't anyone answering the lunch question? You guys have messed up priorities. 
    Married
    Planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards