Wedding Etiquette Forum

healthcare reform...

13»

Re: healthcare reform...

• Obama's proposed health care reform?It won't happen, even half the Democrats are against it.Socialized medicine may work in smaller countries such as France or Sweden but not in larger ones.  Canada's probably doing the best with it but it's still not great.  People with certain types of cancer, those needing replacement joints, certain types of heart stents, are coming to the US more and more because of the wait time.I pay $190 a month for private health insurance through my former employer. That was one of my demands when they bought me out 10 years ago.  Buying that same coverage on my own would be more than double that.I also have Medicare right now because I am disabled.  I am constantly amazed at how poorly that is handled.  Thank heavens for my private insurance!
  • TLV - I don't have the answers to her problem. Nor do I even pretend that I know everything about this issue, but I firmly believe that our government taking over this system when it's already entrenched in banking, the auto industry, etc. isn't going to help us in the long run.I have had several jobs where they didn't offer insurance and I signed up for it on my own. It wasn't cheap because I have pre-existing conditions but I did it because I wanted health care. I am also not saying that people shouldn't have health care. I absolutely think they do. My 27 year-old sister recently passed away from pneumonia and didn't have insurance. Maybe if she had insurance she would have gone to the doctor earlier on and we might not be figuring out how to go through life without her.I just don't think that the government running the system is going to work. And I don't like the idea of this plan getting shoved through just to have something pass.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ok but my point is that lots of people literally CANNOT afford health care.  Them wanting it has nothing to do with it.  My mom would literally go into debt.  She has already gotten rid of every utility but electricity and her telephone (free well water).  And yes she has been trying to find another job for some time now. 
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Our healthcare system sucks. I worry that we are trying to pass a reform (that might be a nightmare) too quickly. Yes, I agree, but honestly any reform that happens big or small to healthcare is going to be a disaster at first and take forever to actually get on it's feet and help the people. I personally would rather it be a big reform.How does fixing cobra help people who are not eligible for it? More and more employers aren't providing insurance. Fixing cobra doesn't fix that problem.TVL - has your mom tried going through the state? I know NY has a program called Healthy NY that offers reasonably good coverage for a reasonable price for lower-mid income people. Try going to your state's website maybe?
    Oh no we dropped the groom!! imagePlanning Bio UPDATED
  • There are a lot of people in Canada who would love to have privatized health care because they think it's a utopia where they can have whatever they want whenever they want with no problems because they have the cash to pay for it.They like to use that money to go to the US to get care, then go to the media about it to garner attention for their cause.  The average US citizen would have to use insurance to get that same care, not pay out of pocket for it which apparently puts you back at hoping an insurance company WILL pay for it.I know several people who've had cancer and have had no trouble getting treatment in a timely manner.  But that doesn't make for good news reports.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Yes, I agree, but honestly any reform that happens big or small to healthcare is going to be a disaster at first and take forever to actually get on it's feet and help the people. I personally would rather it be a big reform.Our goverment ran programs are STILL a disaster. UHC wil be the same. Like OOT said, it isn't going to happen this year anyway.
  • TLV  how old is your mom?
  • Government run anything is not a good idea. There is too much bureaucracy and red tape and BS to deal with. Politicians don't care about their constituents, they care about furthering themselves. I guarantee Congress and the President will still have fancy schmancy health care while the rest of the country suffers with bandaids on bullet wounds. To me, the government is just as corrupt, if not moreso than big corporations. At least big corporations want to make a profit. The only way we can have top-notch ANYTHING is through some sort of competition. Who's to compete with the government? I don't want the best doctors in the country fleeing to Australia or New Zealand because they don't want to deal with all the red tape of government healthcare. The thought of all of this terrifies me.
  • Me too Zip.
  • snail mail?nothing yet
  • I never hear Canadians or Brits biitching about their health care. It is always Americans telling us bad stories about it. Side note: I met a woman from Estonia (near Norway) that got 18 months of full pay for maternity leave. Half government paid and half employer paid. Wiki Parental Leave for other countries that do the same. They also have inclusions for the fathers to encourage both parents to take leave with the children. I do admit, if I were a business owner I would hate this law. But it's a great deal for the parents.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not aware of any state help, but I'll definitely look into it.  I actually didn't know she didn't have health care until this year, so I'm still really upset about it.  All throughout high school and college I thought I was getting health care as a dependent from her employer, but it turns out she was paying $230 per month just for me to have private insurance, and she didn't have anything.  I feel so guilty, I can't afford to help her.  She's 54, she doesn't have any major health problems so that helps but still has a while to go before Medicare unless I'm mistaken. 
    Married
    Planning
  • I will agree with you that our maternity leave (6 weeks right? wrong?) for women is sickening!
  • The thought of all of this terrifies me. The thought of no one, including myself, being able to help my mom terrifies me more. I still don't agree with the bill they're trying to pass now, but there needs to be something other than Cobra.
    Married
    Planning
  • Heck, maybe the gov can learn from all it's currently f-ed up programs and create something slightly less f-ed up. Who knows. It's true that none of this will actually happen for a good long time if ever.I still stand by the fact that I would rather the government control or regulate it than have profit hungry companies be in control. This is always how I've felt about it. Last I checked, private companies are filled with lots of red tape themselves.Now that I'm all worked up I have to run out the door. Have a lovely night ladies.
  • Oh really? My mom is 55 and she has applied for medicare (and I think she will get accepted, I hope) BUT she has COPD and other breathing problems. She is on my step-a$$hole's insurance, but when the divorce is final, she will be uninsured. My aunt suggested she apply for medicare.  
  • AGK....agreed, totally. Since when are big corporations any more ethical than the government. It all sucks. I don't know the answer. I just think everyone should have access to reasonably inexpensive medical care.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd rather have profit-hungry than power-hungry.
  • saschaduran, no worries, like i said, i can't imagine what it was like to have to go through that.  when i was in england they were always doing these tv specials (on government run television) on horrors of public health and more often, the plight of senior citizens in hospitals -- hidden cameras and dateline-type ambushing.  i think that there are very few large countries where everyone is entirely satisfied with their healthcare system. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

It's Always Sunny on St. Paddy's Day
  • When I studied over there (Scotland), I also read articles about people on 18 month waiting lists for kidney operations, etc. I hate talking about politics. I hate how there is no correct solution and it seems like there never will be and people get heated and I hate the feeling that I get. I guess I should stop.
  • Pink...sorry again. I get worked up and it was rude of me:( I feel bad. Zip...I agree about that. It is why I pretty much hate politics. There is no ONE answer to anything in the world, so there will always be people who are unhappy with any solution. I get so mad, yet I know Obama's solution will cause problems too. I just wish there was a middle ground where all could be helped.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • *stands on soap box*I disagree with it whole heartedly.  I think there should be reform, but free market reform.  For example, we should expand competition not cut it out.  The bill will not necessarily cut out private insurance BUT because the government will let anyone on the system and it's "cheaper" OF COURSE people will choose it.  Therefore, private insurers can no longer compete and they close.  You are left with an incompetent government who can't even get people water after a hurricane as your only source of insurance and no one to stop them.How else?  Tort reform.  It is out of control.Another needed reform along the lines of increased comeptition is to permit people shop for it across state lines and not restrict it.  Right now we are all restricted.  What if I live in New Hampshire and the insurance is quite expensive there?  I shop around like I do for any products I need (hopefully...) and find a better package at a better price for myself in a company located in Nevada.  It will be in the best interest for insurance companies to mind themselves because they could look business to another company.  Just basic economics.  As for the 47 million people statistic, let's break that down.  In reality I believe it is 15 million people who do not have insurance but NEED it.  The majority of people in that 47 million figure are those who can afford it and choose not to have it among other reasons.  For example, a lot of young people in their 20s don't have health insurance because they think they are in good health and don't want to "waste" the money.As for the other 15 million, yes it is unfortuante.  But hopefully with the reforms I mentioned above, for example, that number could be reduced.  Keep in mind, however, there will always be people left out.  In every system.  No matter what.  Whether it is through not being able to pay for it or someone's care being rationed, someone will be treated unfairly.  I know a lot of people don't think rationing will happen but the truth is it would have to.  Why?  The government cannod afford this health care bill at all and the only way it could even look like it's try is by rationing.  Sure, they won't call it that but don't be deceived.  If we are going to feel bad for people who are too poor for insurance, we should also feel bad for all the "elderly" who are pushed aside because their government as deemed their life unworthy of saving.  For young people like us that rarely strikes a chord but think of your grandparents.  As for Canadian and British health care...it blows.  I used to live in Michigan and my mother works in oncology.  If you want to see people suffering as the result of a failure of their government come to a Michigan hospital.  People who are 60+ are going to the doctor's in my home town so they can have a chance to live.  Finally (maybe) there will be no one to "call the government out" if they mess up.  Who are you going to go to?  The courts?  That's part of the government.  It would be an administrative agency just like the DMV, FCC, etc. and their law is so easily twisted in favor of the government.  Not to mention that this is with your life, not your license plate, so it would take virtually eons for you to get justice, if you get it at all. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • I lied, I wasn't done.The argument "we have to do something" or "at least it's better than what we have now" is crap, sorry.  You can't make rash decisions when it comes to policy...any kind of policy.  You have to think about the consequences of these policies in 10, 20, 30+ years.  Let's wait for decent reform to come around and let's get this right. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • The argument "we have to do something" or "at least it's better than what we have now" is crap, sorry. You can't make rash decisions when it comes to policy...any kind of policy. You have to think about the consequences of these policies in 10, 20, 30+ years. Let's wait for decent reform to come around and let's get this right. Very well said.
  • I'd rather have profit-hungry than power-hungry. this.
  • and find a better package at a better price for myself in a company located in Nevada.Clearly you've never tried to shop for health insurance. All the prices and availability are based on where you live. It wouldn't matter where it was coming from, they would still all charge you the same based on your location.And health reform has been in the works for YEARS. It's not like this is all brand new problems. A lot has led up to this.And I agree, there are many people who just think they don't need it, but it's not fair to punish the people who want insurance and can't feasibly get it by keeping the system as is. If all of this ends with more affordable and reasonable options for me to buy for myself then I'll be happy.One more thing - all these examples of people from Canada coming here. Give me a break. That's not proof that their system works and ours doesn't. Sasha's poor mother is proof that we have it just as bad if not worse. And whoever it was who had the 27 year old sister who died probably just because she didn't have access to proper preventative care. I mean come on, we live in a country that pays its movie stars millions of dollars to do nothing but we can't create a way for everyone to afford a fighting chance at health?UGH I hate this issue!!
  • I think this issue is one where everyone is going to have to agree to disagree lol!
  • Amen, Ang! My brain hurts after reading through all of that!
  • I know ricks! It's just such a sucky situation us silly Americans got ourselves into and there's no good answer.At least this issue doesn't involve religion at all. Those are never fun because it gets so super personal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards