Iowa-Des Moines

Your Biggest Money-Savers?

Hi Ladies!Just curious--what were your biggest money-savers? A new or undiscovered vendor that offered you a great price? A unique location? A surprise discount? An off-season wedding? A Friday or Sunday ceremony? Can't wait to hear your responses!

Re: Your Biggest Money-Savers?

• edited December 2011
    - We started talking to our photographer just before he raised his prices, and when it came time to sign a contract (after the prices had increased) we asked about paying the old price, to get the old package.  Moral:  Don't be afraid to ask about pricing; the worst they can say is no.  - Our ceremony and reception are both at non-profit, government-owned places, so venue fees are really reasonable.  And they're unique settings to boot.  - We're DIYing a lot of the details, especially paper goods (save-the-dates, invites, menu cards, programs, etc.), for a fraction of the cost of purchasing these things.  Be warned, though, that DIY projects won't always reduce costs, and any added stress may not make the savings worth it.  For what it's worth, it sounds like a lot of vendors and venues are getting wise to the off-season or Friday/Sunday tactics, so it seems like it's getting harder to save much that way.  It's certainly worth asking about if you're considering specific venues or vendors before you set a date, of course.  Good luck! 
  • edited December 2011
    Oh!  And a lot of just-starting-out vendors will post on Craigslist, and have reduced prices to get their foot in the door.  Quality might be pretty hit-or-miss, but something to look into.  And the Trash to Treasure board (I think it's hosted on the Nest boards now) is a place to find a lot of stuff being resold after weddings.  And, if you've got time and she'll let you, start following around mom2one14.  She's got an eye for a sale!  :-) 
  • edited December 2011
    We are using a lot of vendors that are smaller or just starting out, but still FULL of talent! Our photographers are newer to the scene but I love them, and our caterers are a privately owned mom and pop shop from a small town, but its the best BBQ I've ever had. It's silly but I also enter just about every contest I run into, and it's payed off in my wedding planning process. I won a free DOC and help with her throughout the planning process, and a free engagement shoot with our photogs. We also aren't using a limo, or taking a honeymoon. This really helped to cut down on our total budget. We are DIYing all the paper items, which ended up saving a lot of money. I bought my dress new from another knottie for a fraction of the price she bought it for. I also use etsy for a lot of my accessories, I put out an alchemy and see who takes my up on my price.
  • estrella27estrella27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have our reception at a hotel or at a place that required we use their caterer or liquor.  Honestly, the entire cost of our reception (space, food, booze, dj, decor) is going to be less than what one hotel quoted us on food and drinks alone.....not even kidding.Plus it's allows us to have a more unique reception along the way.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    If you are still a ways out but have certain vendors you know you want to use, it may be wise to book them now and lock in their current prices. They usually go up every year. I have a photographer friend who is reasonable and you get e-pics, unlimited wedding day coverage, and a cd with copyrights to reprint your photos for $1500 total. I personally think that the biggest savings from vendors can be: - DJ - Photographers - Flowers - hy-vee has some very talented artists in their shops and they are usually cheaper than a lot of places.
  • edited December 2011
    I totally agree with Nataloo...I the majority of my Vendors in 2008, and all pricing went up in 2009...saved alot of money...
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using the same venue as estrella and for all the TIME we get for the money is totally awesome....decorate the day before, clean up the day after...no catering restrictions...way cheaper and worth the money.CUPCAKES! Cupcakes are WAY cheaper than the tradition wedding cake and you can get an extra small cake for you and your hubby to cut for pictures...I got 150 cupcakes (a dozen are gluten free for my special friends) in three different flavors and a small 6in cutting cake + deliver for $110. That's it.  I offered to let her put a couple business cards by the display for 10% off too :)My dress is a bridesmaids dress. It has everything I wanted in a gown but at a fraction of the price...it's pretty amazing how a vocabulary word can make such a big difference in price. There are lots of gorgeous "bridesmaid" dresses out there...and with a couple alterations, little beading or the right jewelry...BOOM. Total cost of my dress (including alterations) = $350.Liqour = There is really no need to serve hard liqour at your event. It's expensive and can easily cause trouble. Cash bars (in my opinion) are tacky. You're inviting someone to your dinner party and asking them to pay for their drinks. Boo.  Wine and Beer are easy, cheap, and serve every bit as well to helping people have fun and relax without all the drama. I'm having a friend in chicago investigate good cheap wine and Traders Joe's for me.:)~Katt
  • edited December 2011
    DIY decoration is my biggest! FI used to work for one of the fancy-pants decorators in town and says that what we are doing for a few hundred dollars would easy cost thousands to hire out.Our reception place also lets us bring in our own booze, so that would be a huge saver if my parents weren't insisting we need so much!  :)
  • harpjenharpjen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work for the Johnston Hy Vee kitchen and I must say, Hy Vee does a wonderful job! In fact, I just completed a wedding reception catering tonight and it was beautiful! As I have looked around the metro and Hy Vee prices are the lowest for what I personally want, but also in general! Also, I know that, at least at Johnston Hy Vee, if you get one of the buffet dinners, plates, silverware, napkins, table linens (for the buffet), salt/pepper/butter are included! Also, if you also use Hy Vee for more than on thing (Bakery-cake, Kitchen-meal, Floral-flowers) you get a discount. Come check us out!!! I am just wanting a simple picnic buffet of grilled chicken with two sides (baked beans, potato salad), dinner roll the cost is $8/person. If I were to go with Christianis Catering (the preferred caterer for some of the reception venues I have looked at) their price is $16-18/person for the exact same menu. ~sorry for the Hy Vee plug, but Hy Vee is a wonderful caterer and can really preform well when comparing them to others in the metro for a lot less cost! Believe me, I've looked, I've been planning for nearly 1.5 years.
  • harpjenharpjen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I forgot to add, check out HouseofBrides.com. I have found the dress I want for half the price of what is listed on the designers website and David's Bridal website.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards