Wedding Etiquette Forum

Parents' proposals

So I heard my parents' proposal story for the first time tonight... apparently when they had been dating for three months, one night my dad put a nail through his finger. He was freaking out because he can't stand the sight of blood and getting weak and passing out, but my mom kept her head and got him to the emergency room. After they got home later that night, my dad spontaneously asked my mom to marry him, and somehow she said yes. Then they got married a few months later.

The context in which I found this out was that apparently, my mom's male character on Second Life has proposed to my dad's female character, and they're going to have a wedding/vow renewal on there. I told her they should have it in the SL Sistine Chapel, because, well... why the hell not?

So why are your parents cute or nuts?
imageimage
Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?

Re: Parents' proposals

• ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    My parents met in Hawaii on a hiking trip. They each traveled with a separate group of friends and happened to be in the same hiking group. After those 2 weeks, they both returned home (my dad to Australia and my mom to the US.) They wrote to each other for a year and their friendship quickly became something more. My dad came over to the US the next year to visit my mom, and he proposed to her. They were married within 5 months. I love their story. :)
  • My Dad is not at all handy. He installed the lightswitches upside down, even after taking them out at re-doing them. He once tried to fix the toilet with a hammer. He electrocuted himself a few times. He broke a toe trying to fix the vcr.

So, my Mom took on most of these duties, and would spontaneously do repairs. (To give you a visual, the woman weighs all of 90 lbs.) I came home from school one day and the floor to the living room was gone, just the support beams. She decided to tear it out and re-do it. She did this to my bedroom roof as well.
    One day, she decided she wanted to tear down our old metal shed. She didn't want to wait for my Dad. So, she used her tae-bo skills, and kicked the shed down. No joke.
  • Gretchen, that's really sweet. :)

Jasmine, I love the idea of your mom kicking the shed down. Sounds pretty awesome.
    imageimage
  • My dad said "I got you that ring you wanted" and that was that.  They're very romantic.
  • Thanks, much better then their proposal story. She was pregnant with me, so they got married. Not exactly one to tell the grandkids haha.
  • My parents were both teachers in a very very small town. Dad coached the football team and mom coached cheerleading. This is very hilarious if you knew either one of my parents because they both now hate sports and think they are the devil (we're a fine arts household). They are also definitely not the stereotypical jock/dumb bimbo/coach type.
    Well, their friends thought they would hit it off so they planned a bunch of double dates, without telling my parents. My mom's friend would invite mom, dad's friend invited dad, then the friends suddenly had to leave.
    I think they dated 4 months before getting engaged. Dad proposed to her on her birthday so he wouldn't forget what day it was.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_parents-proposals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0c7485a0-683e-4fd5-b904-a7c2b7365b34Post:b2378795-5967-4c56-bee8-6aef24ae1539">Re: Parents' proposals</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, much better then their proposal story. She was pregnant with me, so they got married. <strong>Not exactly one to tell the grandkids haha</strong>.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

My mom was all embarassed telling me the nail story for some reason. I guess she forgot that I got engaged in a PIRATE STORE. :)
    imageimage
  • Oh Sarah, since you're here I've got a question for you. Can you recommend a good instrumental version of Greensleeves? I think I will be walking down the aisle to it, and I want a nice version maybe with some harp. My Mom is not at all sold on the idea yet. So, I want to find the right version to sway her.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_parents-proposals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0c7485a0-683e-4fd5-b904-a7c2b7365b34Post:0afe96b9-de74-4967-9b45-9ee089d619cd">Re: Parents' proposals</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh Sarah, since you're here I've got a question for you. Can you recommend a good instrumental version of Greensleeves? I think I will be walking down the aisle to it, and I want a nice version maybe with some harp. My Mom is not at all sold on the idea yet. So, I want to find the right version to sway her.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

I don't have any specific versions in mind, but I just checked Amazon and there are over 9,000 covers of Greensleeves available for MP3 download, a lot of them labeled as instrumental. You could listen to a few of those and see if you find the effect that you want, and then using the Amazon downloader is pretty straightforward.

I really like the idea, by the way. I think it would be lovely. What music does your mom think you should use?
    imageimage
  • The wedding march. haha
    I was looking at the songs in your bio a while back. Love your selections.
    I will have to look on amazon. I am pretty behind the times when it comes to the internet; I've never downloaded music, and we just bought an mp3 player specifically for the wedding.

• my Dads mom put an ad in the paper "man seeking woman" my moms mom replied 
  • I don't know my parents proposal story..I don't think there is much of one. I was laready 2 when they got married.
  • FI's aunt recently asked if we were using the wedding march and I just laughed. I find that approach works. I don't think your guests will be confused about what is happening, because you will be wearing a big white dress.

And thanks for the song choice love... a lot of thought went into those songs. :)
    imageimage
  • I got so mad when I heard what my dad did. He asked my mom to marry her about 4 times and she always said no. Then they went to a wedding together and while they were dancing together, he asked her. 

I also don't like that my parents did a tiered wedding reception. They tried to tell me that this was ok. lol Poor ignorant parents.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • I asked my mom once how my dad proposed.  She thought about it for a minute then said, "I don't think he ever did.  We just decided to get married."  At the time I thought it was lame...little did I know I'd end up engaged the same way!

Their first date is a cuter story.  Apparently when my mom was in grad school and my dad was an undergrad (yes, mom's 2 years older), they hung out in the same group of friends.  He called her one night to ask her to a ROTC dance, and she said yes...even though she wasn't sure who he was.  Fortunately when he arrived to pick her up, she recognized him and all was well. :)

Mostly I just think my parents are freakin' cute because they've been happily married for almost 36 years and to be happily married that long, you have to be a cute couple. :)

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • when  my now-stepdads dad passed away, he introduced my mom to everyone as his "wife" theyd been together for like 9 years. they decided they should get married. 

romantic i know!

10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
  • My parents had been dating for seven years and they started talking about having kids. My dad was really into the idea of having a baby and my mom was like, "Well, we should get married before we start having kids." My dad's response was, "Do we have to?" So they got married. I don't think there was much of a proposal. I was born nine months and four days after they got married.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • My parents' story is kind of funny.  If you've ever been to Pittsburgh, you know what Mt. Washington is.  If you've never been to Pittsburgh, if you come...go up to Mt. Washington.  It's the overlook of the city.  Anyway...my parents were up there on one of the overlooks in the fall of 1977, and my mom said it was the most perfect day.  Beautiful sunset...perfect temperature...everything.  So, my mom mentioned to my dad that it would be the perfect place to be proposed to.

Well...that Christmas Eve, they were driving back from my mom's dad's house and it was past midnight and pouring rain.  My dad was driving the long way and went up Mt. Washington and pulled the car over.  He wanted to get out of the car but since it was raining so much, my mom said she wasn't getting out of the car.  So he proposed in the car.  It wasn't at all what she meant when she said it was the perfect place to be proposed to...she was talking about the overall setting and mood.........he took her literally and thought she meant the area.

Below is a pic of the view from Mt. Washington.  Bbeautiful.

Anniversary
  • My dad said, "I think we should get married."  Mom said, "Okay, when?"  Dad said, "Oh, I don't know...I didn't think about that."  And she said, "Okay, well let me know when you do."

No ring, no proposal.  They were married eight months after they met.  And they are still super-adorable 33 years later.
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • Apparently my dad gave some random awkward speech and didn't have a ring and then left the room, so my mom had to go call her friend and be like "Mike said X.  Did he propose?"  They decided he did, so my mom went to find my dad pacing around the basement and she said yes. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Not sure. I just know my parents wer introduced by mutual friends, dated 9 months, got engaged, were engaged for 9 months, then got married.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • My mom got knocked up, end of story ;)
    OK, but really, they have been together since they were 14, got married at 19, and are still married 44 years later.

Cute story of how they met: My dad was the new kid in school (freshman year) and his parents made him go to a school dance to meet people. My mom thought he was cute and tried to talk to him but my dad was too shy to say a word to her. So, my mom stole his hat and wouldn't give it back until he asked for her numer.
  • Mom said something to dad about how they should get married. He agreed and apparently almost immediately started trying to figure out dates based on his vacation and busy time at work.

Mom says she was stunned -- TK would definitely disapprove but apparently all she really wanted at the time was to be engaged for a while; she hadn't really thought they'd get married as quickly as they ended up marrying. FWIW, they've been married almost 50 years now.

When it came time to get a ring, dad totally lucked out. He didn't know it, but his parents had been banking the money that he had given them as rent (he'd been in the service and then come back to his parents to live). They gave it all back to him, giving him enough cash in hand to buy her a 2-carat ring. It's gorgeous.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards