Pre-wedding Parties

bridal shower AFTER quickie wedding???

My best friend was planning a traditional wedding (but had not yet set a date) but after her fiance had some medical problems they decided very suddenly (5 days out) to get married outside with only very close friends and family present. Fortunately I was able to attend and was thrilled to be finally witnessing their marriage. They do still plan to have a big wedding/party etc at a later date in keeping with their original wedding plans. My question is: what is the etiquette on having a bridal shower and/or bachelorette party for her. She is my best friend and I had been planning to organize these once she had set a wedding date. Because of the quickness of the actual wedding I obviously didn't get a chance to do something ahead of time. Can I still have them? Should I still have them? And how would you do it differently knowing that they are already married? Thanks!!!

Re: bridal shower AFTER quickie wedding???

• edited December 2011
    Those are pre wedding parties and it is a bit tacky and will be percieved as a gift grab to have them post wedding. However if you want to have a gals night out or a bunch of folks over to celbrate their marriage that is a lovely thing but showers and bachlorette were forfiet by quick wedding.i'm glad he is ok
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, she can't really have a bachelorette party because she's no longer a bachelorette.She shouldn't have a shower, because according to proper etiquette (which I agree with) you don't have showers after you're married.  She doesn't actually even get a do-over wedding, because she's already married.  She can have a party to celebrate her marriage.  I'd recommend that they wait a year and then just have a lovely first anniversary party.Ditto retread.  Just have a lunch or bbq type picnic for her later, but leave out any gift-giving or use of the words wedding, ceremony, reception.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everything Retread said, she gave you some great ideas.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    agree 100%.  a nice tea or backyard bbq announcing their marriage would be great.  hope the medical issues are getting better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards