Gay Weddings

Women & Wedding Planning

Has anyone else found that 2 brides plus 2 mothers of the bride equals way more trouble than anticipated?

Re: Women & Wedding Planning

• edited December 2011
    I have found that we need to plan everything together and come to agreements, where straight brides tend to just plan it all themselves without much groom input.  It makes for much longer drawn out decision making... I wouldn't like to do it *all* on my own, but sometimes I think it would get things done faster.Plus all the bride stuff is twice as expensive, I had no idea how much *hair* was going to cost!
  • edited December 2011
    mrsandmrsbins, I couldn't agree more.  I wouldn't WANT to plan this wedding by myself, but sometimes the four of us get hung up on details that just blow my mind!5 minutes ago, for example, I received an email from my partner informing me that she wants us to walk down the aisle to "Bittersweet Symphony."  I had (mistakenly) assumed we'd use the bridal march.  So we're onto compromising once more.When it came to the favors, FMIL and I were anti-favor (I think they're wasteful on so many levels), and my mom and partner were adamant that we have favors.  I finally caved and agreed that we could do something very simple, which lead to WEEKS of emails about the stupid favors.  If it was up to me, it would have been done and I wouldn't have had to give it a second thought!  My mom and I would love it, my partner would hate it... and so on.And you're right... twice the brides is twice the bridal expense! 
  • Stiney358Stiney358 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh geez I haven't thought about THAT PART of the wedding. Up until now we've been all talk but in the next couple months it's actually gonna get real. mrsandmrsbins, We fought like crazy trying to decide how to decorate our house. Before I came along E actually had free reign on decorating. Now we butt heads all the time because I don't always want to go with what she wants. Lol.
  • edited December 2011
    We sat in front of the computer one night for an hour trying to decide on the font for our invitations, I thought my eyes would fall out of my head.
  • niklynn622niklynn622 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to say that our planning hasn't been bad...Lindz and I agree on most things anyway, whether it's decorating the house or what's for dinner. We've found ways around having 2 brides and it being expensive...A friend is doing hair and makeup and she's getting a bridesmaid style dress instead of a wedding gown...And as much as it sucks, her mom doesn't understnad why we're getting married, so we don't have to have anything ok'd and my mom lives 3 hours away. I feel for those of you who have way too many opinions being voiced!
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, neither of our mothers is involved, or even attending, so we didn't have to deal with that part of it.  NotFroofy and I have been able to agree on most stuff.  It is a bit of a pain that brides' "stuff"--dresses, veils, shoes, bouquets, hair, makeup, you name it--tends to cost more than grooms' and be less reusable.  And some of the standard "packages," from hair/makeup to flowers, tend to assume that you have one bride and multiple bridesmaids, not the other way around.  However, she's worth it.  ;-)
  • edited December 2011
    I do not have that problem. My mom will not be there at all. and his mom has past away a few years back. So i am going at this all lone. but I do have a maid of honor and a bridemaid that have been wonderful and friends from work that help me with Ideas  and my future husband has been a big help. and good luck too all of you that have two mothers helping you out with the plans. I wish my moom would be helping. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards