Wedding Etiquette Forum

Groom's Cake question

I need some etiquette help. We already ordered our wedding cake but I'm thinking of getting a surprise groom's cake for FI. I want to order a cake in the shape and style of his motorcycle or a helmet of his favorite football team. I didn't see any pictures of those types of cakes at our wedding cake place. There are other places that can do it. Is it okay to have a different baker make the groom's cake?

Re: Groom's Cake question

• Do you have a cake shortage with the wedding cake?  Grooms cakes aren't necessary at all.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Of course it is okay to use a different baker for the Groom's cake.
  • Yes it is okay to use a different vendor, but check your contract with the wedding cake vendor for an exclusivity clause.
  • Totally OK for a separate baker, I wouldn't worry about it. 
  • Sure, why not?Do you have any friends or family members that could do it to save money? The motorcycle sounds tricky but you should have no problem finding a cake pan in the shape of a helmet.
  • I would speak with your bakery. They can probably do it and you may be able to negotiate a discount since they're doing your wedding cake. Places will advertise wedding cakes because they make stunning pictures (and cost more) than a football cake.
  • I think it is ok but you will need to call the baker of your wedding cake to see if that is allowed.  When we met with one cake lady we had mentioned about also having a grooms cake.  She said that if we had both then she would have to make both.  She wouldn't just make the one. 
  • Yes it's definitely okay to use a different baker, as long as there isn't anything in your contract with the current baker saying that you can't.  Also, just because you didn't see anything like that doesnt' mean they can't or won't do it so you might at least feel it out and find out if they do groom's cakes.  Maybe you could work out some sort of discount if you use them for both cakes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You should use a baker that will be able to make the kind of cake you want. If it's your current baker great, if not that's fine too.You don't really need a groom's cake though. I actually don't even like the idea behind him: that the bride was too much of a zilla to let the groom have a say in anything, so you need a separate cake just to show the grooms personality a little bit. It's weird to me.
    Oh no we dropped the groom!! imagePlanning Bio UPDATED
  • My previous post was not helpful.  I worded it badly.  I should have said, make sure you account for the cake quantities in both cakes when you look at the numbers.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Thanks for all the responses! I'll have to check the contract for an exclusivity clause. I don't necessarily have a cake shortage but I wanted to do something a little different. I know he would love the cake! Maybe I can get it for the rehearal dinner? I was just trying to think of ways to make our day reflective of us.
  • The RD is a great way to incorporate the Groom's cake.
  • Ditto having it at the RD.
  • This is unrelated to your original question, but if you've never been there before, you should check out [url]www.cakewrecks.com[/url]. It's a hilarious blog about cakes gone wrong, and there are some funny groom cakes.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • The groom's cake is a southern tradition. You can have the cake at the DR or the reception, either will be fine.
  • I'll ask our current baker if it's possible to make the cake in the shape that I want it. If not, no big deal. I just wasn't sure if it was a good idea to have 2 different bakers. Thanks again for all your help!
  • Ask your current baker first to see if they can do it since it would probably be easier for you to just deal with one baker.  They should be able to do a football helmet pretty easily.  If not, then start checking with other bakers. 
  • Steel Magnolias?  Magnolia something.
    my read shelf:
  • Haha is that an armadillo? If it's a southern tradition, what is the tradition? Since I've started planning I've believed what I previously said about them. I thought they were a wedding industry creation and not a tradition.Anyone care to enlighten me? I'm too lazy to google.
  • Did you ask the bakery if they do football helmet cakes?  Just because you didn't see any pictures doesn't mean they can't make it.  Also, check your contract.  We are not allowed to serve a cake from a different bakery at our wedding.  But if it's fine with the other bakery, there is nothing wrong with using another bakery for the groom's cake. 
  • I'm (sort-of) in the South and I had never heard of a Groom's cake until I got engaged. I was told they were a Mid-West tradition. I'm going to attempt a clicky link that talks about the Groom's Cake:[url]<a href="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090725142719AAFTMpi" rel='nofollow'>http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090725142719AAFTMpi</a>[/url]
  • agk--Yes, it's a red velvet armadillo cake. Yum!I'm in the mid-west and groom's cakes are pretty common around here. I think they're fun but not at all necessary.
  • From yahoo answers:At every southern wedding I've been to, all the guests get to eat a piece of the grooms cake. If you're objecting to it for monetary reasons, don't worry, I'm sure the bride's family would be happy to pay for it and want to do whatever they can to make sure you and the bride have the best wedding reception possible.Haha fabulous. The jist of that was "it's the tradition way to reflect the groom's personality in the wedding." So what I've heard it pretty much right only with the word tradition tacked on.
  • Um. The groom's cake has nothing to do with being so much of a bridezilla your FI gets no input. Does my FI care what it tastes like? Yes. Does he care if it's got swirls or dots? Nope. If I had leftit up to him, our wedding cake would be camo. OP, I'm using a different baker for my wedding cake and groom's cake. Not a big deal at all.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Oh I know Whit, that's just my brain's generalization of it. Maybe it's because I watch too much bridezillas. If FI wanted a groom's cake we'd do it and enjoy it. I just think it's an odd idea for a tradition that I've never heard of until 6 months ago is all.Why don't you want a camo wedding cake? I'm confused?! :)
  • As long as this fits in your budget, I think that your idea will be fun and he will appreciate it. I am doing this for my FI.  When we went cake shopping, the first place we went to had orange creamsicle mousse and he kept telling me that he wanted to go with them so that the cake could be chocolate with this mousse.  We could not afford their delivery charge ($250) on top of the cost of the cake so we selected another bakery, however, they do not do mousse.  I am going to surprise him by having a cake from original bakery which we will pick up on our own.  It will be a 10 inch round made to look like a basketball (one of his biggest hobbies).  I can't wait to see his reaction when he realizes that he will get to have his chocolate cake with orange creamsicle mousse. This is totally unnecessary, but for the little that it will cost, it will be worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards